Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipes Canyon

Well after finishing John Bull last Sunday, I think that I have been on every Black Diamond trail in the SB Mtns, except one... Pipes Canyon.

My map shows the black diamond drive to be a combination of 2N68Y and 1N01 that runs over five miles up the canyon to a permanent gate. It is far away in comparison to most of the SB trails. Does anybody know if it is worth a look? How tough is it? Any interesting things in the canyon?

I'll probably run it at some point unless you folks talk me out of it. I'm just looking for some advice and discussion.

As for last Sunday, Max7, a friend in an XJ and I crawled Holcomb Creek and John Bull. Here's some photos of the adventure if you are interested. My first time on John Bull also had me using my winch to get myself off some rocks for the first time (it was great fun!).

Mr Green Climbing a Rock

Max7 at Rock Garden

XJ in the Garden

Max7 on John Bull

Mr Green winching off the rocks on John Bull
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

looks like you picked some fun lines. we should go on a run sometime up to BB. i havent wheeled in awhile. just waiting on my xmas present driveshafts and the rig will be good again.. i wheeling.. btw im in rancho also
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

haven't heard of that other trail but looks like you guys had a good time. :thumbs_up
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I think part of Pipes Canyon is closed... hopefully somebody else can verify this. When I was out a few weekends ago to Pioneer Town (and had planned on Pontiac) somebody was talking about taking Pipes Canyon getting part way and finding a closed gate and having to go back. Somebody up in that area might know more.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Pipes Canyon no longer reaches Pioneertown. It was washed out years ago and the USFS/BLM have no plans to repair the road, although the USFS does plan on cleaning some old structures out of the area in the next few months. There is still a community cabin available to anyone to use at N 34° 12.705 W 116° 42.631. It is called Doc's Cabin. It's cleaner now than in past years.
          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Wow Brokenujoint, nice ride! I love the tube fenders. When Santa gets your present to you, shoot me a PM and we'll find a trail.

Hey FishPOET, is Doc's Cabin near Pioneertown or is it on the part of Pipes Canyon Trail that is still open?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
              I think part of Pipes Canyon is closed... hopefully somebody else can verify this. When I was out a few weekends ago to Pioneer Town (and had planned on Pontiac) somebody was talking about taking Pipes Canyon getting part way and finding a closed gate and having to go back. Somebody up in that area might know more.
              It definitely has a permanent gate about 5 miles into the trail. The 2005 Forestry Service map I have shows the location. I am just wondering if it is worth the drive up the trail just to turn around and come back?

For me to see whats there is enough of a reason to go, but then They say that I'm wired a little funny :-)

[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. i need a new front driveshaft. the stock shaft is over maxed. the rear is a currie unit but its binding in the splines so thats gotta go. after that shes as good to go as gas prices allow. hit me up if you ever need a set of hands for any mods. kevin.. 921 8437
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                  Hey FishPOET, is Doc's Cabin near Pioneertown or is it on the part of Pipes Canyon Trail that is still open?
                  Doc's Cabin is approx 3/4 mile SE of Juniper Springs Campground on part of Pipes Canyon that is still open.

Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Thanks FishPOET, we will check out Doc's Cabin when we explore this trail. A community cabin sounds good for a warm season run, but I think that we will just see what's there this time of year. I hope to run this trail some time this year but time is running out for my schedule, and to beat the SB Mtn Snow.

If anyone has some insight before I try this trail, please let me know.

[/COLOR]

Comment

My backyard.

I'd like to get in on this run if possible. Any idea when you wanna plan this run? I'm looking for a more FUN way to get up to BB. How about a meal at Pappy&Harriets before hitting the trail. I've always heard great things about that place but never eaten there.

I think maybe DavisRats or bjnrae have done this run before, not sure how recently though.
                      Last edited by USMC 0369; 12-10-06, 11:49 AM.
                      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Hey Desert Valdez, I'm up for a run! I haven't heard from anyone as to how challenging this trail is but I have done some homework on the trail itself. It is 8.5 miles from 2N01 to the permanent gate that the Forest Service put in. The trail starts at 8000 feet and soon climbs to 8800 feet before it descends to the gate at about 6200 feet. So, it seems like the return trip back is quite a climb.

I am not familiar with Pappy&Harriets but I love doing new restaurants, where is that at? You and I are on opposite sides of the mountain range, so it may be hard to meet at a middle ground. But, I don't want to make the run alone, so if you are interested, I plan to drive the trail on Sunday 12/17. If there is heavy snow, I will probably back out and do a run to Calico instead. Either way, I'd love to have some company from you and anyone else that is interested in going to either place.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                          Hey Desert Valdez, I'm up for a run! I haven't heard from anyone as to how challenging this trail is but I have done some homework on the trail itself. It is 8.5 miles from 2N01 to the permanent gate that the Forest Service put in. The trail starts at 8000 feet and soon climbs to 8800 feet before it descends to the gate at about 6200 feet. So, it seems like the return trip back is quite a climb.

I am not familiar with Pappy&Harriets but I love doing new restaurants, where is that at? You and I are on opposite sides of the mountain range, so it may be hard to meet at a middle ground. But, I don't want to make the run alone, so if you are interested, I plan to drive the trail on Sunday 12/17. If there is heavy snow, I will probably back out and do a run to Calico instead. Either way, I'd love to have some company from you and anyone else that is interested in going to either place.
                          Pappy&Harriets is an old bar/restaurant in Pioneertown, at the start of Pipes Cyn Rd. It's supposed to have great steaks & burgers and what-not. We are on opposite sides of the Mtn. Where had you planned to start your run up Pipes?

My biggest problem is my job. I'm working every day until the 21st. After the 21st I'm off for a couple of WEEKS! yay! But... until then, I'm booked solid. If you want, I'll put this on my calendar for a spring run... A couple guys I know already went snowboarding this last weekend. Snow is coming soon I guess.

I'll have to ask about that gate... does anyone have a location or grid co for it? (think google earth).
                          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Hey, Desert Valdez, I understand. This is a very busy season for lots of folks including myself. From the weather forecast, it sounds like this weekend is out of the question for a run down Pipes Canyon. I don't know what my Christmas weekend will be like, but if I can get free, I will PM you to see if you want to go play somewhere.

I think that Pipes Canyon from the bottom (near Pioneertown) is closed. The trail that I am referring to starts much nearer to the 38 than to the Yucca Valley area. It is still a long way from me, but I am sure that we can work out a plan as long as we find a weekend that the weather cooperates.

I still want to make this run, but it may have to wait until after the heavy snows melt.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                            X