Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken

well i tried to make it to lets make a run, at cleghorn, and ran into some obsticles, my right rear wheel bearing froze on the fwy, man what a bummer, had a spare and found out that i have a HD housing and the bearings are a bit bigger than stock, so my spare axle wont work, pulled the axle with bad bearing and took it to my wifes dads shop to pull old bearing, ya right it was fused on to the axle like you wouldnt believe, it got really hot, so i threw some more heat on it to seperate that worked, once i removed the bearing i checked the axle for bends, what do you know its bent, its a superior axle so im gonna try to warrantee it but the steel is blue where it heated up so i doubt that will happen, any ways after going through all that to fix it i ended up having to go get my trailer and tow it home, after about 4-5 hours of running around trying to fix it, well that was my day and it sucked.////Kevin K

wow. :omg:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Kevin that SUCKS! Burned that baby to dust! Glad your ok, and the run was great! Perfect weather, just the right amount of Jeeps (is there such a thing as too many?) Hope Superior warrants that axle. Good luck there...
      Rat
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Bummer. Sorry Kevin. I am curious though, why did it burn up? Is this a common thing for that set up? I wouldn't think so. Is there something else wrong causing it?
        Just curious.

BobO
        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
        (Charles Wells)

Comment

If you are running disc's, did you have the proper axle/bearing retainer installed? It doesn't look like it in the pics.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

hey bob, im pretty sure the outer axle seal went bad there was a bit of greasy stuff kinda spun around the disc cover, like it was leaking, so im pretty sure thats the root of the prob, i hadnt really driven the jeep since last time we went to cleghorn, just been working on it / on the wrong things i guess/ but at least it happen before we were in the middle of the trail, that would have been really bad, ive got all the parts to fix it and i ordered alloy axle shaft, so 1 superior and 1 alloy with spool in the rear well see which is stronger. and like Dukes69 said i thought i was missing sompthing but its always been fine and i took the other side apart and its all there, so it had to be inner and or outer axle shaft seals failing that did it, a $6.99 part. cost me a bit more than that to fix it.

Originally posted by Mtbikbob
            Bummer. Sorry Kevin. I am curious though, why did it burn up? Is this a common thing for that set up? I wouldn't think so. Is there something else wrong causing it?
            Just curious.

BobO

Comment

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. Hope you get everything all up and running. So there wasent anyone there representing the LWB?! haha
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Yeah, isn't that the way of it. A .50 part taking out the whole thing. However in my case....its just the nut behind the wheel!!!!

See you out there!!
                "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                (Charles Wells)

Comment

There was still 3 LWB jeeps out there to show us how much easier it is to get over certain things !!
                  moon buggy
                  5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

What do the axle retaining plates look like? Do they have a lip on them that pushes on the axle seal or not?
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

well i figured out whats up with my rear end, i ordered my axleshafts from alloy usa and they came with bearings,they were too small so im thinking wtf? then i go to pull the other side to compare bearings its a set 20 instead of a set 10, well it turns out its a currie rear 44 with the 9'' big bearing ends and explorer disc conversion. once i found that out i sent my axles back to alloy and reordered 33 spline axles with full spool, wanted 35 spline but no one makes a 35 spline spool for a 44 at least thats what currie said? im still looking. well at least i know what i have know back there, when i bought this heep the guy said nothing about the axle exept for d44 with 456s, so i kinda knew this was coming, yahoo my jeeps almost done!!!!!////Kevin.K

Comment

Originally posted by xjkevin View Post
                        well i figured out whats up with my rear end, i ordered my axleshafts from alloy usa and they came with bearings,they were too small so im thinking wtf? then i go to pull the other side to compare bearings its a set 20 instead of a set 10, well it turns out its a currie rear 44 with the 9'' big bearing ends and explorer disc conversion. once i found that out i sent my axles back to alloy and reordered 33 spline axles with full spool, wanted 35 spline but no one makes a 35 spline spool for a 44 at least thats what currie said? im still looking. well at least i know what i have know back there, when i bought this heep the guy said nothing about the axle exept for d44 with 456s, so i kinda knew this was coming, yahoo my jeeps almost done!!!!!////Kevin.K
                        Kev,
                        Just look at it this way; every day is an adventure and it's like a present you just keep unwrapping, and it's always a new suprise! WooHoooo...:present: :censor: :bolt: :tongue: :oops:
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                          What do the axle retaining plates look like? Do they have a lip on them that pushes on the axle seal or not?
                          you be quiet! no one is talkin' to you.
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

the bearing cover is still in the housing the retainer plate is flat theres a large spacer that goes between the two that pushes the seal in, does that make sence? well heres a pic of the good side now my spare since i picked up two alloy usa shafts instead of one. oops that superior shaft is worthless to me know that im 33 spline, its a 30 spline damn didnt think of that till know, oh well ive got a killer hook up on the alloy stuff, looks like ive got to order one more short shaft for a spare and im done with this nightmare. Kevin

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post

Comment

Working...
                            X