Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack handle, 10-25-03 (AZ)

A few of us are getting together to pre-run Jack handle for the ZafaRi2003 gathering (see events forum). The trail should be passable by a relatively stock jeep. I have never been on it, but from what I hear, body protection and a reliable locker are good things to have. No one who is going (so far anyway) has been on the trail for several years, so it may be significantly more or less difficult than we expect.

Anyway, let me know if anyone is interested, I'll keep you updated as we work out the meeting time and place.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

jack handle

I ran jack handle about a year ago, if I remember right it wasn't bad. However I did it in conjunction with martinez cabin and martinez canyon, wich was difficult, so I'm not real sure where jack handle ended. For better info check the Arizona Virtual Jeep Club website.

Comment

....bump....

For anyone interested, we are meeting at the cottownwood canyon staging area at 8:00am. Right now there are only 4 rigs going (my heep, a FJ on 35's, a toy on 38's, and a buggy). So, what has started out as a jeep run....doesn't have many jeeps going. C'mon guys! This trail shouldn't be too difficult. Lets get those jeeps out on the rodks where they belong!!!!!!!!

KG6OWO

Comment

how about the 27th? (monday)
        we'll be laying over in tuscon since rick needs to be there monday! let's go jeepin!!
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Damn. I'm working on the 27th. And I'm moving on the 24/25/26th (BTW, I got the new parking spot--the one with the attached house ). So no wheeling for me that weekend.

[edit]
          WAIT A SECOND!!!!! Damn....been up too long already.....I'm looking at the wrong month....uh.....give me a second.

Damn. Still working Monday, but not this weekend. Moving is a month from this weekend. Are you guys around (tucson) this weekend?

Don't mind me....I'm just a confused night person who is up during the day for some reason....[/edit]
          Last edited by goodtimes; 10-24-03, 08:21 AM.

KG6OWO

Comment

The trail (Jack handle) was pretty easy, with only 3 obsticals. The first is a easy squeeze, you will be fine unless you have full size axles under your jeep, in which case it gets a little more interesting (but still not too difficult). The second really isn't even a obstical, just a big rock in the middle of the trail, go left if you want to drag your slider over it while making the turn, go right if you don't. The third obstical is a "doran entrance" difficulty level obstical. 3 of the 6 rigs went that way, the rest of us took the bypass. In all, it took just over an hour to run the trail with 6 rigs. All had a minimum of 66:1 crawl ratio, tires ranged from my little 31's up to 38" swampers, everyone had hard lockers in both ends. The trail would be do-able in a stock jeep with a few skids, it would just take a little longer. It is a long drive back to the trail. In fact, it took longer to get there and back out than it did to run the trail. The scenery was Ok, until you get to the top, where the view is pretty darn nice.

Since we were doing good on time, we decided to take 3 of the better built rigs through Axle Alley. This is one of the "extream" trails in AZ. It has 2 waterfalls which are considered "winch only". The first fall (the nastiest) is about 100" of nearly vertical rock slab. Forget a un-assisted climb in a TJ, the wheelbase is too short, so you will be using that winch. Of the three rigs that went, the TJ was the only one who needed it. The toyota and the buggy were able to climb it with a little bit of "human" help. The second "winch only" waterfall wasn't as bad, and all 3 rigs made it up with a little more help in the form of a pair of hands. There were of course many lesser obsticals along the way. This trail will definately get your attention, I wouldn't do it with less than 33's, hard lockers, reliable winch, DEEP gears, and strong axles. It is a nasty trail....and that is why my sissy jeep sat at the trailhead while I rode with a "not quite so sissy" of a jeep (kinda hard to call anything with a dynatrac 60 under the front end a "sissy").

Of course, I have a few pics, but no hosting ability...so use your imagination!!! Or wait until someone else on the run posts theirs, then I can link those.....

KG6OWO

Comment

Pics are here.

KG6OWO

Comment

rockin run!!!
                we're still here - in oro valley
                gotta hit up america's tire tomorrow and get my flat fixed. give me a call if you're around.

Comment

looks like a nice run! those are some sweet rigs! ROCKIN
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                    rockin run!!!
                    we're still here - in oro valley
                    gotta hit up america's tire tomorrow and get my flat fixed. give me a call if you're around.
                    flat? I didn't hear anything about a flat.:confused:
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Is it called Americas tire out here? I thought it was Discount Tire Co everywhere except Los Angles and Orange counties. Unfortunately, I'll be sleeping tomorrow, since I work tomorrow night. The little waking time I have before work will be spent over at the house getting some minor details corrected before they put the kitchen in.

There were a couple nice rigs there. The '97 TJ kicked ass though....gotta love the dynatrac 60 up front. I have been on runs with him before, he doesn't turn his back at much....I have yet to see him NOT give any obstical a shot.

Ebans buggy looks SWEET, but it is set up for sand more than rocks. It has very little droop, but lots of compression. Campbell did a nice job with the chassis though. I want one! (just with a little flexier suspension--and a little different paint job ).

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                        flat? I didn't hear anything about a flat.:confused:
                        yeah, it was lame. we were driving down a dirt road and the tire just went. oh well.

goodtimes, thanks for the info, it may have taken me a while to figure that out LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X