Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news from White Mountain

There was a traffic collision on 3N17 White Mountain at approx 1pm on Sunday. One vehicle with two occupants went over the side and caught fire. One occupant did not survive.

I hope everyone from MJR made it home safely from the meet and greet in Big Bear.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Thats horrible. Hopefully everyone is ok.
    Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Oh no, this is horrible. We rode White Mountain Sunday morning with Kurt, Andy, Paul, Patrick and Matt. Was the accident between the two jeeps? On the mountain or intersecting trails? Is there an area there that needs to be watched when driving it?
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

any more details of where this occured or how it happend?
        "run forest, run!"

Comment

white mtn

man thats a bummer,

Comment

Newest news release....8am today

Coroner Case 06-6490LM--At about 1:00pm on 08/20/2006, Wallace John Piper, a 41 year old resident of San Bernardino was involved in a single vehicle off road accident in a very remote area of the San Bernardino National Forest southeast of Apple Valley near Grapevine Canyon. Mr. Piper was in his early model Chevy Blazer 4 wheel drive vehicle accompanied by a friend. They had joined up with a larger 4 wheel drive club. At some point the Blazer became disabled on a steep embankment and subsequently rolled down into a ravine. During the rollover, the Blazer burst into flames, igniting a brush fire. Mr. Piper and the friend were both injured during the rollover. The other club members pulled Mr. Piper to lower ground to escape the flames when it became apparent that he sustained severe injuries. Mr. Piper stopped breathing and resuscitative efforts were begun while others went to summon help. The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Helicopter was dispatched to the scene with an onboard physician. After continued resuscitation it became apparent that Mr. Piper had expired and he was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:44 pm. The CHP is conducting the investigation.[082006 2335 RK]

The closest location information I can get is "White Mountain area, 1/2 way up the saddle on either 3N17 or 3N15"

The brush fire involved with the incident approx 3 acres now 100% contained.

Very relieved to hear that it wasn't anyone from MJR.
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Thanks for the info. Glad it wasn't anyone from here.

Originally posted by FishPOET
              Newest news release....8am today

Coroner Case 06-6490LM--At about 1:00pm on 08/20/2006, Wallace John Piper, a 41 year old resident of San Bernardino was involved in a single vehicle off road accident in a very remote area of the San Bernardino National Forest southeast of Apple Valley near Grapevine Canyon. Mr. Piper was in his early model Chevy Blazer 4 wheel drive vehicle accompanied by a friend. They had joined up with a larger 4 wheel drive club. At some point the Blazer became disabled on a steep embankment and subsequently rolled down into a ravine. During the rollover, the Blazer burst into flames, igniting a brush fire. Mr. Piper and the friend were both injured during the rollover. The other club members pulled Mr. Piper to lower ground to escape the flames when it became apparent that he sustained severe injuries. Mr. Piper stopped breathing and resuscitative efforts were begun while others went to summon help. The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Helicopter was dispatched to the scene with an onboard physician. After continued resuscitation it became apparent that Mr. Piper had expired and he was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:44 pm. The CHP is conducting the investigation.[082006 2335 RK]

The closest location information I can get is "White Mountain area, 1/2 way up the saddle on either 3N17 or 3N15"

The brush fire involved with the incident approx 3 acres now 100% contained.

Very relieved to hear that it wasn't anyone from MJR.
              "run forest, run!"

Comment

Thats horrible, Allison and I were headed out to lunch as all the EMT's were going up. We had been on 3N17 after leaving the group, about 30min into the trail (drove slow & shooting pic's) we decided it was time to eat, and tured back. I hope it wasn't anyone from our group!

Patrick

EDIT: Glad to hear it wasn't a jeeper, but still sad
                Last edited by screwball; 08-21-06, 09:44 AM.
                Jeep

Comment

I wonder if it was the same Bronco that was broke on the John Bull trail on Saturday we had to wait for?
                  Still very sad news. My heart just breaks for the family.....
                  "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                  (Charles Wells)

Comment

Wow, thanks for the information, is there any more info available on what part of the trail this happened? I ran that in my stocker (had to get pulled over one spot) but nothing seemed too bad to me, other where screwball teetered a little bit, so I'm wondering if it was on a different part of the trail. The news is so heart-breaking! I feel for their family!
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I wonder if it was the major hill on the East end of the trail. It's pretty steep and a bad line could get you in trouble real fast. More specific information would be greatly appreciated.
                      '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

I am sorry to hear of this
                        It is sad that things of this nature happen
                        my prayers are with the families
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Very sorry to hear .
                          It is getting very busy back on these trails . I was up in the area on sunday also and had a very close call . Myself and two other jeeps were coming down by Silvewood lake , well as we were coming down ( not going fast ) getting ready to go around a blind curve , here comes a Rhino with ! male adult and his little girl about 5 or 6 years old , as soon as I seen them I hit the brakes and just kept sliding towards the hill side coming two inches away from plowing the Rhino and those two people with the jeep . It scared the $ #it out off me and the little girl was very scared it took about 5 minutes to get her to speek to use trying to make sure that she was OK . Everyone please becarefull out there.
                          A clean jeep is the sign of a sick mind

Comment

close calls

Originally posted by bullseye
                            Very sorry to hear .
                            It is getting very busy back on these trails . I was up in the area on sunday also and had a very close call . Myself and two other jeeps were coming down by Silvewood lake , well as we were coming down ( not going fast ) getting ready to go around a blind curve , here comes a Rhino with ! male adult and his little girl about 5 or 6 years old , as soon as I seen them I hit the brakes and just kept sliding towards the hill side coming two inches away from plowing the Rhino and those two people with the jeep . It scared the $ #it out off me and the little girl was very scared it took about 5 minutes to get her to speek to use trying to make sure that she was OK . Everyone please becarefull out there.
                            I know the trail of which you speak......I am really surprised more accidents dont happen there in that area. We also had a close encounter there as well and vowed never to pass through there again. It was scary just to drive it wondering if someone was about to come around the corner at any second. Maybe something should be done about it.

BobO
                            (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by GrimJeeper91
                              More specific information would be greatly appreciated.
                              I have not been in the area myself since the accident and I have not seen any lats/lons. This info came from the group that removed the K5.

"The Blazer was located 2.5 miles from the beginning of the White
                              Mountain trail in the ravine below the slippery shale section of the trail
                              up to the Windy Point saddle. The vehicle was located down from the trail about 150 feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X