• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Double AA
    Weather for Sunday;

Chance of a Thunderstorm
    76° F | 43° F
    24° C | 6° C
    40% chance of precipitation

I hope someone's bringing a rig taller than mine.
    Is there such a thing??? You can be the official "Lightning Rod"

Rat
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA
      I hope someone's bringing a rig taller than mine.
      no worries, i'm stock height but have the "lightning rod" hi-lift 60-incher sticking way up off the back...(you can't forget it once you see it, it's like a flagpole)

i'll take all the hits
      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

roll call

OK all, please make sure you sign the roll call if you plan on attending (some people were on the fence), want to make sure we have everyone before heading to the trails tomorrow.

Cheers, see you all then.

Comment

Hey Mike,

Our group is going to be in Big Bear as well. Just in case trouble finds either group(s), what channel are you guys going to be on? We'll be monitoring ch 4 with Greg in tow.

Mark

Originally posted by maddmike
          OK all, please make sure you sign the roll call if you plan on attending (some people were on the fence), want to make sure we have everyone before heading to the trails tomorrow.

Cheers, see you all then.
          "run forest, run!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob
            Interesting. Where is J/V?
            it's in the desert north east of big Bear.
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Crawlin'
              Hey Mike,
              Our group is going to be in Big Bear as well. Just in case trouble finds either group(s), what channel are you guys going to be on? We'll be monitoring ch 4 with Greg in tow.
              Mark
              Mark, we'll be on ch 4 as is the regularly scheduled wheeler's network.

one of these days would love to wheel with some FJ's...too bad i had this run scheduled or i would have done the adopt-a-trail with you guys tomorrow. maybe see you guys driving around.

OK all, 11pm and i've taken roll call. see you all in the morn.
              Last edited by maddmike; 07-29-06, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I bummed that I couldn't make the trip but will be looking forward to the report and the next run!

L1
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]ANGRY MIDDLE CLASS WHITE GUY![/COLOR]

Comment

Wow!!! What a lot fun we had. Developed a new saying....."We dont need no stinking lockers!". Thanks Kurt, Mike and the rest of our fellow jeeprs for a great time. I guess I should now be qualified to wear a "My jeep rocks" on my jeep too? And a new avatar soon coming. Not sure about the night run though....got to get some sleep sometime.....
                  BobO
                  "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                  (Charles Wells)

Comment

Jacoby Canyon (3N61) Trail Report

Eleven Jeeps showed up at Fawnskin, so we formed two groups. The hard core group was led by Kurt (rat patrol) and included Andrew (Double AA), Bob (Mtbikbob) and Andrew Harris. They ran John Bull (both ways) and White Mountain. The other group, led by Mike (madmike), included Mike (4XINT.J.), Allen (swbooking), Brian (CJBrian), Dan (freewaydan), Jeff (Treds Litely) and myself. We ran Jacoby Canyon (3N61) in the morning, and Pontiac Sluice (3N61Y) in the afternoon.

The Jacoby Canyon trail runs generally in a north-south direction between Holcomb Valley Road (3N16) near the dump and State Highway 18 near Cactus Flats. We aired down at the Holcomb Valley Road trailhead.

From left to right, Mike’s (4XINT.J.) red TJ, Mike and Jeff, Jeff’s red YJ, my khaki TJ, Mike’s (madmike) silver TJ

From left to right, Dan’s (freewaydan) red YJ, Brian’s (CJBrian) NEW silver Rubi Unlimited (it has 1500 miles on it), Allen, Brian, and Brian’s wife, Allen’s (swbooking) black XJ.

The trail is rated “moderate” and is in good condition. Except for a few rocky spots, most of the trail can be run in two wheel drive.

Here are some pictures I took on the trail:

Last edited by Russ Chung; 07-31-06, 09:12 AM.
                    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                    KI6MLU

Comment

We arrived at Highway 18 in less than an hour, so we turned around and returned to the Holcomb Valley trailhead and ate lunch.

Dan’s (freewaydan) red YJ and Mike’s (madmike) silver TJ.

Jeff’s (Tred Litely) red YJ, Brian’s (CJBrian’s) silver Rubi Unimited, and Allen’s (swbooking) black XJ.
                      Last edited by Russ Chung; 07-31-06, 08:18 AM.
                      KI6MLU

Comment

Pontiac Sluice (2N61Y) Trail Report

After we ate lunch, we were joined by madmike’s guest, Alex, who drives a blue Rubicon, and headed for Pontiac Sluice. In the Charles Wells book, the trail is listed as Heartbreak Ridge, but it is also known as the Pontiac Sluice trail because of the remains of an abandoned Pontiac Ventura at a prominent point along the trail. The trailhead is about seven miles southeast of Baldwin Lake.

We stopped at the trailhead to check our rigs and to give Alex time to air down. Left (front to rear) my khaki TJ, Brian’s (CJBrian) silver Rubi Unlimited, Jeff’s (Treds Litely) red YJ, center of photo (front to rear) Allen’s (swbooking) black XJ, Dan’s (freewaydan) red YJ, Mike’s (madmike) silver TJ, Alex’s blue Rubi, and (behind the tree on the right) Mike’s (4XINT.J.) red TJ.

The trail is rated “difficult”.

This is Allen’s (swbooking) black XJ followed by Brian’s (CJBrian) silver Rubi Unlimited.

The “famous” Pontiac.

When we got to the first rock garden, some of us took the “extra credit” route:

Mike’s (madmike) silver TJ

Alex’s blue Rubi followed by Brian’s (CJBrian) silver Rubi Unlimited.

Brian’s (CJBrian) silver Rubi Unlimited

Allen’s (swbooking) black XJ, followed by Dan’s (freewaydan) red YJ and Mike’s (4XINT.J) red TJ.

Here is a video of Dan and Mike on the extra credit:
                        KI6MLU

Comment

pictures of the day

Forgive me, but this is real chore to figure out how to post pictures...... laughing while I try to do this...
                          Last edited by Mtbikbob; 07-31-06, 09:00 AM.
                          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                          (Charles Wells)

Comment

We continued up Heartbreak Ridge. Here is a video of Mike’s (madmike) silver TJ, Alex’s blue Rubi, and Brian’s (CJBrian) silver Rubi Unlimited:

We took a break upon arrival at the top of the ridge.

This is a view from the top of Heartbreak Ridge to the east toward Yucca Valley.

This is the entrance to an abandoned silver and jade mine at the summit.

At the summit, we met another group of 4wheelers who showed us the memorial to Marine Corp Major Alan Rowe. He was a Marine who was based at Twentynine Palms and was killed in action in Iraq. This memorial was placed at the summit of Heartbreak Ridge last year. I did a search on Google and found this link to the SoCal Bronco 4WD Club site. Apparently they had a role in placing the memorial on that site.

http://www.dustyland.net/broncos/scb...biv/index.html

The trail makes a loop around Heartbreak Ridge; we followed the loop around the mountain, backtracked to the trailhead, then took 2N01 to Highway 38 and returned to Big Bear.
                            KI6MLU

Comment

more pictures from BobO

John Bull trail,

White Mountain
                              (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob
                                [SIZED]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m97/Mtbikbob/7-30-06/Picture013.jpg[/SIZED]
                                WOW!!
                                I knew that John Bull has lots of off-camber and this photo proves it
                                KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                                X