• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8/19 and 8/20 thats good.

Comment

19th and 20th

Originally posted by Nate
      I'd be good for the 19th or 20th! for a trail or two......
      Works for me, I can be up there saterday morning and set up camp. NOW...the question is where are we going to camp??? A camp ground??? I dont care if I have to pay to camp, not a big deal....MATT
      "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by matt2001tj
        Works for me, I can be up there saterday morning and set up camp. NOW...the question is where are we going to camp??? A camp ground??? I dont care if I have to pay to camp, not a big deal....MATT
        Awesome thought, planning ahead is such a novel idea.
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by matt2001tj
          Juniper Springs work for yall?
          "run forest, run!"

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Crawlin'
            Juniper Springs work for yall?
            What else is available during that timeframe? For example Big Pine Flats out by Holcomb? I honestly couldnt tell you the difference between juniper and any other campsite, but if there are options we may set up a poll and put a deadline on it to ensure we are meeting our planning goals. If you dont vote...
            Last edited by USMC 0369; 07-04-06, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Please see top post for updates and roll call.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Meet n Greet

Hi all! Yup were new. All this webstuff is freighteningly new too!! We would like to make the weekend of the Aug meet n greet, Saturday, Sunday. Met up with rat patrol the other weekend. The fever is on!!
                BobO
                "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                (Charles Wells)

Comment

I know there are plenty of suggestions going on here but........as far as a meet-and-greet spot how do you think Big Bear Discovery center would do for a meeting and -B-S- spot then we could take off and do some trails from there? Then for those of us who plan on camping we plan to camp at Big Pine camp ground (3n14 by big pine fire station) and leave it up to everyone individually to get a spot. I liked that camp last time i was there. its $16 a night

unless of course someone wants to put up the $65 to reserve Horse springs (or ironwood i forgot) which is right up the road near the White Mtns.
                  Last edited by Nate; 07-09-06, 02:46 PM.
                  87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
                  ~ Dave Howell

Comment

A Base Camp Is Best

We need someone to grab the bull by the horns again and start finding out where and how much to camp? are reservations available to MAKE SURE we have a spot and there must be bathrooms. After that if money is needed for reservations then those of us that have "paypal" for example can forward money for camp to whoever would be nice enough to help out on this one. Unless of course someone has a better idea??? I would do it myself but with the amount of hours I work this time of year I just dont have the time...MATT
                    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...ng/index.shtml

Camping options in Big Bear:

Serrano - next to the Observatory and close to Hwy 38. 110 reservable sites. 20 reservable sites with hook-ups. Probably booked full through the end of the summer.

Crab Flats - between Green Valley Lake and Lake Arrowhead. 29 reservable sites. Looks to be plenty of availability for 8-18,8-19

Big Pine Flat - 6 miles north of Fawnskin. 19 non reservable sites. You will probably need someone up there Friday morning to hold sites.

Green Valley Lake - 20 reservable sites, 16 non reservable sites. Looks to only be 1/2 reserved on 8-18, 8-19

Hanna Flat - 2 miles North of Fawnskin. 80 reservable sites, 8 non reservable sites. Looks to be plenty of availability for 8-18, 8-19

Holcomb Valley - 3 miles North of the Discovery center. 19 non reservable sites. You will probably need to be in camp Thursday night to get spots.

Horse Springs - 8 miles North of Running Springs. 15 non reservable sites. Restrooms but no water.

Pine Knot - at the base of Snow Summit. 44 reservable sites. 8 non reservable sites. Looks to be plenty of availability for 8-18, 8-19.

Group Campgrounds

Bluff Mesa, Boulder and Deer are on 2N10 South of the lake. They have restrooms, but no water. Maximum of 8 vehicles. All 3 are available for 8-18, 8-19.

Big Pine Flat Equestrian is available for 8-18, 8-19. Restrooms and water. Maximum of 15 vehicles.

Buttercup is not available

Gray's Peak is not available

Green Spot on 2N93 near Fish Hatchery Road is available for 8-18, 8-19. Restrooms but no water. Maximum of 8 vehicles.

Juniper Springs on 2N01 East of Onyx Summit is available for 8-18, 8-19. Restrooms and water. Maximum of 8 vehicles. There is currently a fire in this area and availablity may be affected.

Shady Cove is not available.

Tanglewood is not available.

Yellow Post sites

There are 15-20 yellow post sites scattered North of Big Bear. 2 vehicle limit. No water or restrooms.

Dispersed Camping

Is allowed at the current fire restriction level, but not at the next one up. By mid August I would bet that dispersed camping would not be available.
                      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I have always liked hanna flats becuase its pretty much in the middle of all the trails. Its clean, has water and bathroom, for the most part trailer friendly. Just my opinion
                        Supe
                        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
                        Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Sarah or other moderator.

Can we put the available campsites on a Poll IOT choose a campsite? We should probably set an end date for the poll IOT ensure the campsite we reserve [either as a group or individuals] is available. This is all just a suggestion. According to the roll call we'll need availability for at least 12 rigs [at this time]. Also, you may want to include an option of, "No preference, I'll go with what the group decides." as some [much like myself] have limited experience camping in BB.

I do not know how to make a poll or if I even have those types of permissions, hence, I defer to you's moderator types.

Originally posted by FishPOET
                          http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...ng/index.shtml

Camping options in Big Bear:

Serrano - next to the Observatory and close to Hwy 38. 110 reservable sites. 20 reservable sites with hook-ups. Probably booked full through the end of the summer.

Crab Flats - between Green Valley Lake and Lake Arrowhead. 29 reservable sites. Looks to be plenty of availability for 8-18,8-19

Big Pine Flat - 6 miles north of Fawnskin. 19 non reservable sites. You will probably need someone up there Friday morning to hold sites.

Green Valley Lake - 20 reservable sites, 16 non reservable sites. Looks to only be 1/2 reserved on 8-18, 8-19

Hanna Flat - 2 miles North of Fawnskin. 80 reservable sites, 8 non reservable sites. Looks to be plenty of availability for 8-18, 8-19

Holcomb Valley - 3 miles North of the Discovery center. 19 non reservable sites. You will probably need to be in camp Thursday night to get spots.

Horse Springs - 8 miles North of Running Springs. 15 non reservable sites. Restrooms but no water.

Pine Knot - at the base of Snow Summit. 44 reservable sites. 8 non reservable sites. Looks to be plenty of availability for 8-18, 8-19.

Group Campgrounds

Bluff Mesa, Boulder and Deer are on 2N10 South of the lake. They have restrooms, but no water. Maximum of 8 vehicles. All 3 are available for 8-18, 8-19.

Big Pine Flat Equestrian is available for 8-18, 8-19. Restrooms and water. Maximum of 15 vehicles.

Buttercup is not available

Gray's Peak is not available

Green Spot on 2N93 near Fish Hatchery Road is available for 8-18, 8-19. Restrooms but no water. Maximum of 8 vehicles.

Juniper Springs on 2N01 East of Onyx Summit is available for 8-18, 8-19. Restrooms and water. Maximum of 8 vehicles. There is currently a fire in this area and availablity may be affected.

Shady Cove is not available.

Tanglewood is not available.

Yellow Post sites

There are 15-20 yellow post sites scattered North of Big Bear. 2 vehicle limit. No water or restrooms.

Dispersed Camping

Is allowed at the current fire restriction level, but not at the next one up. By mid August I would bet that dispersed camping would not be available.

Comment

Be sure to pick an area that isn't over run with rattlesnakes. Oh, I forgot - we don't have any of _those_ this year
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY
                            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
                              Be sure to pick an area that isn't over run with rattlesnakes. Oh, I forgot - we don't have any of _those_ this year
                              Yikes! Is there an area over run with those little buggers that we should perhaps know about?

Sarah, I think the camp poll is a great idea. I was hoping for Juniper Springs but...
                              "run forest, run!"

Comment

Not really "over run", but Mr. NoShoulders spent the off season cranking out little slitherers for sure.
                                Jeff
                                OHV76V
                                KG6TY
                                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                                X