Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panamint Valley Days 2005

Another event down. We got there Thursday night at 9:30pm. Had to pull over three times because the headlights went out. We ran Full Defense Mine on Friday with Chris and family. At the end of that run we broke our driver side bottom control arm bracket. Matt from Desert Dawgs welded him back together temporarily.
    Then Saturday we ran Fish Canyon and coming out of it through the Lava Rocks the weld came apart again on the control arm bracket, so we had to limp Marvin back to camp. Matt (again) fixed Marvin for us, so we could drive home. We still have headlight issues, so we got home around 3:00 pm today.

It was nice to see Rubicon Rick, Al, Kirk, Chris and family; and Todd and Teresa along with Gene and Coral. Todd & Teresa, I'm still glad that Gene and Coral are okay!!! (for those who don't know, I'll let Navy Jeepster fill you in).
    1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
    Glad to be back in California!

As the Kings mentioned, we had a full weekend.

On Friday as we where coming down into the valley, we could see some traffic stopped close to the last big corner.
    After we stopped and talked to the emergency personnel there, they told us that a motorhome had rolled. We asked what if everyone was all right.
    They told us that the couple and cat where all right.

We asked a couple of questions, and had the sinking feeling that it was possibly my parent.
    Parked the jeep and trailer, and walked down the road to see my parents jeep up against the rocks, and their motorhome laying on its side on the road.

They where all right, Cuts and bruises.

Motorhome is a complete loss.
    Their jeep is all right. Had two bad tires on the right side, that hit all the rocks. My rock sliders where on top of my dad's jeep, and stayed there.
    So, they did not get installed this weekend.
    We did not get the opportunity to run any trails at Panamint. Took care of the parents.

If you check my space link in my sig, you can see pics of the motorhome.
    Here at work, I can not get to photobucket to link pic from. It is our stupid network has photobucket blocked.

They came out to the camp on Sat after I picked them up in Ridgecrest.
    They spent the night in our camper with us.

They got the award for roughtest trail trip, and some donations to restock the new motorhome with.

Thanks for everyones prayers, and concerns.
    The whole Ockert family appreciate it, and thank our extended four wheeling family for the concern and help this past weekend.

Todd & Teresa
    Navy-Jeepster
    Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
    Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

HOLY SHIT!!! Thats absolutly amazing.

I'm very glad noone was hurt!

wow.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Chris

Thanks.

Can you build an exo-cage for an RV?
        Just kidding.

I know, to look at the pictures of it, you wonder how anyone survived it.
        But only cuts and bruises. They each did get a few stiches.
        Battle scars now as they call them.

Thanks for your prayers, and support.

Todd & Teresa
        Navy-Jeepster

Comment

This was all I took. Russ Chung took all the pics for us. We will post a link today. These are of my trailer that is still under construction.
          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Al

Very nice trailer. If I did not have my camper all ready, I would look at getting with you and building one of these.

Excellent work.

Todd
            Navy-Jeepster

Comment

also glad to hear everyone is alright

Comment

WOW! That frightening since I'm new to RV'ing, any idea what happened, any tip's for a new RV'er about to tow a Jeep. I'm shittin a brick just looking at the pictures. Very glad to hear any injuries were minor, looks like it could have been... (no need to go there).

That aside it sounds like you all had a fun and full weekend, one of these days I'll get out there.

B&T TJ

Comment

Wow, glad everyone is ok! Our thoughts are with you.
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

So sorry to hear of the trajedy...

Todd's parents are very lucky to be alive. The pictures are incredible.

I ran into them Sunday morning just before we left for home. Todd's Dad was a little scratched up, and he said his wife was too but was okay. He said his engine died as they started down the hill (about 7% grade, it's pretty gnarly) and thus had no power brakes. And he said he couldn't reach the emergency brake because it's one of those old lever-pull style ones and all he could do was keep hold of the steering wheel. The choice was to build up fatal speed or run it into the bank to get it stopped.

What a story! Sure glad they made it out okay. Not a fun way to start a trip.

A built jeep can get rather heavy. Mine tips the scales at about 4,000 pounds empty. Loaded with firewood and gear for a trip I'm sure there's another 500lbs. Flat towing behind a motorhome adds a LOT of weight to the combined total. We have the newest heavy duty chassis with about 8000lbs to spare when empty, so we do pretty well. In many cases the older models and lighter duty chassis are pretty much loaded to max gross with just gas, water, gear, and passengers. Most of the gas powered units have a 3500lb towing capacity. Adding a jeep behind can put one into a dangerous situation and over the capacity of the chassis. Plus most of us don't run brakes so it really taxes the capability.

Tom, I would encourage you to invest in a Brake-Buddy system for your jeep. Plus the newer units have a foot-operated emergency brake making it easier to get it applied. Down-hills can be a little unsettling. For the really steep and long grades, like going up to Kennedy Meadows, we unhook and drive the jeep up and down, hook it back up for the flats.

Todd's Dad seem to be in pretty good spirits. I suggested that he may be ready for a diesel pusher He thought that sounded good.

Comment

wow! what a mess. i'm glad they werent seriously hurt. did the steering fail sending them into the mountain?

nice looking trailer, al. how did it work pulling out to the desert? post some more pics of that thing. i want to see some detailed pics!
                      sorry i missed it. glad to see many of you got together and had a good timedespite the mishap on the road..
                      Last edited by NAILER341; 11-14-05, 11:02 AM.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                        wow! what a mess. i'm glad they werent seriously hurt. did the steering fail sending them into the mountain?

nice looking trailer, al. how did it work pulling out to the desert? post some more pics of that thing. i want to see some detailed pics!
                        sorry i missed it. glad to see many of you got together and had a good timedespite the mishap on the road..
                        http://photobucket.com/albums/v82/igofshn/teardrop/

Here is a link to some of the build pics. The interior is paneled but I don't have interior trim or shelving yet. Hope to get to that by the end of the year. Eventually it will have A/C, microwave, tv, dvd and the hole 9 yards. It is insulated with 1 1/2 foam.

Comment

here is a link to more pics of Isham Canyon. http://photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Isham/

Comment

nice pics, al.
                            did you and kirk make it up the last waterfall at isham without a winch?
                            looks like there were a few mishaps on the trail out there.
                            did you get any damage?
                            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

We had a good time, will post pictures when we get them downloaded.
                              1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                              Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Working...
                              X