Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bear Aug 6-10 Report

Along with Blktj, we met up with Scott Hill, Nailer341, TJ Supe and the famous Higet for a ride up Holcomb Creek and Lower Larga.

The trail was quite easier than I remember it -- after all the RUBICON was the last trail we were on! Had a blast, weather was great, and had no problems. Higlet, Scott and Supe left us after Lower Larga, and we continued back again through Lower Larga to finish Holcomb with Nailer and Blktj.

Nailer only got stuck twice in 10 minutes and got a few much-needed tugs. Way to go mang! It was late afternoon so we headed to a hole in the wall to eat some junk food. Made it home last night safe and sound!

It was great to finally meet Higlet and Tj Supe(r) haha
    and great to see you again Scott.

Pics up soon. (Don't I always say that.) LOL
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

good times, good times.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

glad you guys had fun

I think its more like INfamous Higlet . . . just my humble "O"
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Rofl

Comment

i had a good time out there. it was nice to see you all again, and nice to meet those of you i have never met before
          that used to be one of my favorite trails... it seems the rubicon, ans hammers trails have taken something from it. although, i think i8t was waaay easier than it used to be, and i was forced into ridiculous lines to add some difficulty to it.

by the way, that hunk of steel was my exhaust hanger :haha:
          it was the one up by the transmission.

i had a good time just hanging out with all of you
          toward the end of the trail, on 3n-14 was just overwhelmed with search crew for that missing boy.. too bad. :sad:

i dont have many pictures to share of this one, but i'll see what i can do th get them posted.
          lets do it again!
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

yeah it's more of an encouragement to keep my jeep "small" and let rick go nuts with his. then we'll have a jeep for each type of trails. hehe. we might be able to get the gears done this week. it's just so darn hot out!! LOL

Comment

hey. It was good wheelin and meeting you guys. We had a blast. Cant wait to see some of the pics!
              Supe
              97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
              Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Sorry to miss yesterdays run, but today was quite different. 1/3 of the way in on John Bull {ran it backwards} Scott sheared off the bolt that links the pitman arm and drag link on the currie steering = no steering. None of the spare parts that we had would work. Rummaged through some bolts for a quick fix. Anders had a ready welder so I played with that for a while with not much luck. Had to rig up some funky temp steering and I towed him off the trail and back to crab flats camp ground.
                ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

bummer, sorry to hear it. everything o.k. scott?
                  myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                    Nailer only got stuck twice in 10 minutes ...
                    Only twice in 10 minutes? Doesn't sound like he was trying hard enough
                    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
                      Sorry to miss yesterdays run, but today was quite different. 1/3 of the way in on John Bull {ran it backwards} Scott sheared off the bolt that links the pitman arm and drag link on the currie steering = no steering. None of the spare parts that we had would work. Rummaged through some bolts for a quick fix. Anders had a ready welder so I played with that for a while with not much luck. Had to rig up some funky temp steering and I towed him off the trail and back to crab flats camp ground.
                      HA! and scott, there was no RED YJ
                      well, that is a bummer for you chris.... drove all that way and didnt get to play... well, there is always next time. glad no one got hurt.
                      were you able to rig up some kind of steering to keep scott off of the trees on your way out?
                      ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
                        Only twice in 10 minutes? Doesn't sound like he was trying hard enough
                        i was trying pretty hard
                        ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                          HA! and scott, there was no RED YJ
                          well, that is a bummer for you chris.... drove all that way and didnt get to play... well, there is always next time. glad no one got hurt.
                          were you able to rig up some kind of steering to keep scott off of the trees on your way out?
                          Hey Erik. The ready welder worked well, although we were using 3 batteries and I learned this morning that we should have only used 2. {3 for aluminum and 2 for steel} after speaking with blaine. the other bad part was there was no hood just some plasma cutting goggles, so I could not really see what i was doing very well. Do not like where the wire speed controller is on the welder. It.s too easy too mess up the speed adjustment..

We were going to leave scotts rig on the trail and go get his extra steering he had at home, but we still could not come up with a new pitman arm. We tried a few differnt things as far as towing but not much worked. Sean used some chain vise grips to hold the drag and tie together and then we ended up using a 15 ft strap tied around the ends of the tie rod near the knuckles and hooking that too the back of my jeep kind of like flat towing. He was only 3-4 ft from my bumper {only hit me 2-3 times } then I had to slowly tow him back out and through the rock gardens and eventually back to sean's camp. One thing I did learn. When it's not JV I dont bring much as far as tools and spare parts. I figure it's big bear and what the hell am I going to brake. Now that I have the trailer set up with a big knaack box on the front, every extra jeep part and tool I can fit in there will be brought from now on.
                          ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                          00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                          97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Sorry. I started a new thread before I saw this one. I ran Holcomb backwards from 3n14 and never saw or heard you guys. Wish I could have met up with you all. Next time.

Jason

Edited to add: BTW Deep Creek is still closed. The Dirt Devils di a whole bunch of clean up to get the trail open but the gate was still locked when I went to check it out. The trail is clear but the FS has not opened it. Don't know why. There was a trali that someone made to go around the gate but we did not go around it. We tried to block it up a little with some rocks. I hate when people do this. It gives us all a bad name.

J
                            Last edited by loop choke; 08-09-04, 01:41 PM. Reason: add comment
                            The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

loop choke, that's surprising that you didn't meet up with us, i know the guys had to sit at the beginning of the trail (end for you) and wait for us jerks to be late!! what time where you there?

Comment

Working...
                              X