Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I left for Moab I had seriously contemplated stopping by Kanab, Utah on my way home and checking out the situation with "The Wave". With the government shutdown there was no way to give away the 10 permits per day at the Kanab office and there were no rangers on duty to enforce their will against Americans enjoying public lands. I was having such a good time in Moab that I had already decided earlier in the week to run in Moab on Saturday and then head home Saturday night. At dinner on Friday night the "wave" topic came up and one of the guys sitting at my table had a friend who was thinking along the same lines as me and went out to the wave parking lot. There was a LEO in the parking lot. The 10 lottery winners per day on the internet were still allowed to use their permits and hike. Anyone else caught hiking in the wilderness by on duty LEOs is cited. The LEO stated the fine is $1000.00 for being caught in the wilderness without a permit.

The trail choices for Saturday were: Shafer Trail/Lathrop Canyon, Top of the World, Elephant Hill, Golden Spike, Kane Creek & Moab Rim. Only I chose Golden Spike so it was just the trail leader Jason, his dad Paul, his son Jack and myself for the day. I knew that Golden Spike was really 3 trails in one day (Poison Spider, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim) and with only 2 of us we should make good time.

Poison Spider Mesa

Suzuki Hill

All the Poison Spider Mesa photos can be seen here

We turned off the Poison Spider Mesa Trail before the loop. At some point I'll have to get back out there and run the loop.

to be continued...
    Last edited by FishPOET; 10-15-13, 12:03 PM.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Golden Spike

View of Arches National Park from the first overlook. You can see Windows Arch in the distance.

View from the 2nd overlook

A Cherokee broke his rear axle. Not with our group. Driver no where to be found. I'm not sure there is a worse spot near Moab to break

Looking back at what we came through on Poison Spider

Golden Crack

Gold Bar Arch aka Jeep Arch

Golden Stairs

Double Whammy

All the Golden Spike photos can be seen here

to be continued...
      Last edited by FishPOET; 10-15-13, 12:18 PM.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Gold Bar Rim

Only a couple of obstacles but the incredible Moab scenery continues.

to be continued...

Comment

random thoughts....

The word Mecca has been long used to describe Moab. I now understand. Pictures just don't do the area justice. The eyes are treated to very special sights and the brain overloads and creates a natural high. Then of course there is the unreal wheeling on the slickrock. The Black Pearl accomplished things I would have never dreamed of a week ago.

Slickrock Campground is a pit. It took them 2 days to unclog a toilet. The facilities are old and tired. The staff just doesn't seem to care.

Good things were spoken by those who stayed at Canyonlands Campground. I'll try them next time.

NAXJA hosted an unbelievable event. The time and effort put forth by NAXJA members gave me a chance to sit back, relax and enjoy and incredible week in an incredible location. The trail leaders provided so much history and information along the way. It added greatly to my experience. At a very minimum I will be back for this event in 5 years and maybe sooner.

I only got to try a few restaurants in town but they were all good. I look forward to exploring more eateries next trip.

Other than the rain on Wednesday night and Thursday the weather was fantastic.

Honestly I feel I could have stayed in Moab for a month and still left not seeing everything.

I made excuses for a long time as to why the time for Moab was not right. Work schedule; Jeeps worthiness or readiness; hot, cold, rainy seasons in Moab; money; etc. I should have just done it. Now that the first trip is in the memory banks the second trip is already starting taking shape.

Comment

Moab is high on my bucket list. Thank you for the great report and beautiful pictures.

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
            Utah spent state money re-opening their national parks on Friday.
            My wife and I have seriously talked about moving to Utah in a few years. Statements like this make it more and more desirable.
            "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Nice pictures and report. Pretty hard to point the camera in some direction and not get a good picture there. The problem is that pictures do not do justice to the real experience.

I agree with your comments on Slickrock CG. I like Canyonlands and have reservations there for EJS. The nice thing is to be able to walk every where and not drive. My problem this year is I want to take both my Jeep and my buggy. I think I have talked my wife into driving the truck and trailer the buggy and put the JK behind the MH.

I have been to Moab a lot of times and enjoy going at times other than EJS and EJS. EJS is fun in itself, for those interested. We go for about a week and a half and it is fun to see the town get more and more crowded as the week goes on.

For those who have not been to Moab, do it soon. There is a lot of pressure by those folk we do not like to shut down most of the trails.
              Rich

Comment

One nice thing about going with a larger group is looking at everyone's pictures and reliving the moments again and again.

The Black Pearl Climbing Hell's Gate

The Black Pearl on Fins 'N" Things

This is why I decided to skip Cliffhanger on Thursday.
                Kane Creek crossing in the morning

Kane Creek Crossing in the afternoon

Jason who led the run I was on Wednesday told me that sometimes Kane Creek is often not passable during or after rains.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                  The word Mecca has been long used to describe Moab. I now understand. Pictures just don't do the area justice. The eyes are treated to very special sights and the brain overloads and creates a natural high. Then of course there is the unreal wheeling on the slickrock.
                  Exactly why it's one of my favorites. Very well put Doug. Couldn't agree more.
                  Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                    Exactly why it's one of my favorites. Very well put Doug. Couldn't agree more.
                    I agree too. I've never done Moab in a built up rig, and it's still some of the most fun available on wheels. I ran it several times in my Land Rover LR3, and then a few times in rental Jeep Rubicon's on 32" tires with factory lifts, and then a few times with both (my wife rented the Jeep and played follow-the-leader with me in the LR3) All total fun.

Doug, seeing your photos makes me wish again, for the millionth time, that MJR's forum template allowed bigger images!
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Awesome stuff Doug! It's a magic place!
                      Thanks for the pics and reports, but mostly thanks for pulling those memories to the forefront again! Moab is the Mecca! We need to try to protect it.
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Yes trail access for Moab is a must. Still got to do Rusty nail and Behind the rocks. Double whammy was a hoot, so is Escalator, Carwash and Devils hiway. Still got to finish tackling the last one. Gonna have to add 4 more squirels to my Jalopy to get that done

Comment

Great report and pictures Doug. I never got the chance to do Moab in my Jeep, But I mountain Biked a lot of those trails years ago. Scenery is breathtaking to say the least. La Sals at the snow line down through Onion Creek to the Colorado River was a favorite, 5000 foot loss and a 40+ mile run .

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                          X