Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Moab October 2013

Moab has been on my bucket list for a long, long time.

I got an email from NAXJA in August ordering some plaques for an event they were having in Moab from October 9 thru October 12. I looked at my calendar from previous years and it looked like I could deliver the plaques personally

I made reservations at Slickrock Campground and started planning.

This was the 13th annual NAXJA Moab Fall Fling and every 5 years they celebrate the anniversary of the Cherokee with a larger than normal event. This year was the 30th Anniversary of the Cherokee.

I had planned on leaving Saturday October 5 at 6am and making the drive in one day. Work was very busy and kept me from getting ready to go. I ended up leaving at noon on Saturday and driving until 11pm. I stayed at a rest stop on Interstate 70 approx 3 hours from Moab. I was up early on Sunday October 6 and in Moab by 9am.

As I was unloading the Black Pearl in camp my next door neighbor John (from Michigan) informed me they were leaving shortly on a run. I got ready and we were off around 10am.

The run for the day was Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners. We had 8 rigs.

All the photos can be seen here

We were back at camp at 5pm and one of the chapters BBQd dinner for everyone.

A fantastic first day in Moab.

to be continued....
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

So happy that you got to go Doug. Moab is kind of spiritual for me. It's a beautiful place but it's more than that. Saw the video clip of you going down Devil's crack. Still got the pucker nut in the seat?
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

You've never been? WOW! You are going to love it! Thanks for posting up photos.
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

On Monday October 7 we had 4 rigs and we were led by John (from Michigan) on Fins N Things. This is one of the signature Moab trails and I was excited to finally get the Black Pearl on slickrock.

The rest of the photos can be seen here

It was a fun trail until the last 15 minutes and then it became ecstatic. It took me many hours to come down off the high.

Dinner was at The Moab Brewery

to be continued....
        Last edited by FishPOET; 10-14-13, 06:38 AM.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

You sure do get around Doug, great pics

Comment

Tuesday October 8 was the first day of the actual NAXJA event and there were only 5 trails to choose from: 7 Mile Rim, Strike Ravine, Hell's Revenge, Lockhart Basin (day 1 of a 2 day trip) or Pritchett Canyon. We ended up with 22 rigs choosing Hell's Revenge. This is another of the signature Moab trails and like me everyone wanted to run slickrock.

The fin leaving the parking area

Colorado River from the Overlook

Hell's Gate

I think 15 or so folks climbed Hell's Gate. It took a while. A couple of people got sideways and in my opinion it was from the line the spotter was sending them on. When I climbed I pretty much ignored the spotter. He kept wanting me to go to the right but that is how the other folks got into trouble.

20 station wagons on Hell's Revenge

Mickey's Hot Tub

I think 6 people tried Mickey's Hot Tub and 3 needed the strap to get out. It was already starting to get late and I think most understood that we just didn't have the time for everyone to give it a go.

2 rigs tried escalator. Both ended up on their side. Same spotter as Hell's Gate and between the time factor and spotting everyone else decided to pass.

Tip-Over Challenge

Lions Back and the La Sal Mountains

It become clear today that I would be wearing out certain adjectives during the week. Fabulous, incredible, unbelievable, awesome, fantastic, etc. seemed to flow hundreds of times during the day.

Back at camp at 5pm. The Midwest Chapter BBQd dinner for everyone.

to be continued...
            Last edited by FishPOET; 10-15-13, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Great pics and report. Defiantly one of my favorite places to wheel.
              Check out .

Comment

Wednesday October 9 we had 6 trails to choose from: Fins 'N' Things, Steel Bender, Lockhart Basin (Day 2 of the overnight run), Flat Iron Mesa, Moab Rim and Pritchett Canyon. 4 of us chose Moab Rim. Another signature Moab Trail and a small group made for a fantastic day.

Climbing up from Kane Creek Road the fun starts almost immediately

Devil's Crack

The views were incredible all day

Z Turn

The 2nd overlook

Coming back down

A bit tipsy coming down Devil's Crack
                http://youtu.be/NwGv6PNpyPQ

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                Saw the video clip of you going down Devil's crack. Still got the pucker nut in the seat?
                Yep

We stopped for early dinner at The Peace Cafe.

The Pearl broke the passenger side rear upper shock mount off the unibody. We were back at camp at 4pm and the evening was spent dropping the fuel tank, cutting the old mount out and installing a new mount. We finished around 11pm.

to be continued...
                Last edited by FishPOET; 10-14-13, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Thursday's trail selection was: Secret Spire, Dome Plateau, Poison Spider Mesa, Kane Creek, Cliffhanger and Pritchett Canyon. I had chosen Cliffhanger but it rained most of Wednesday night and it was raining hard on Thursday morning so I passed on the run. I spent time in camp and had lunch at the Blu Pig. After lunch the rain had stopped so I headed out on Potash Rd.

The La Sal's on Thursday around noon

Potash Rd

Potash Rd leads into Canyonlands National Park. Because of the furlough the park is closed.

Utah spent state money re-opening their national parks on Friday.

There is 1 mile loop off Potash Rd that runs along the canyon rim. They filmed the final scene for Thelma and Louise here.

The Black Pearl on Thelma and Louise Point

Dinner was BBQ at Old City Park.

to be continued...
                  Last edited by FishPOET; 10-14-13, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Friday October 11 trails were: Klondike Bluffs, Strike Ravine, Hell's Revenge, Metal Masher, Moab Rim and Behind the Rocks. 7 of us chose Strike Ravine.

The first climb was slippery. The wet clay soil filled the lugs and made the climb interesting.

Moab in the distance

Shelf road

Strike Ravine ends at Area BFE

to be continued...
                    Last edited by FishPOET; 10-15-13, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                      Strike Ravine ends at Area BFE

to be continued...
                      Tell me you played in BFE????

Thanks for al the great shots. Now I really want to go back.
                      Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                        Tell me you played in BFE????
                        No such luck with this group. They were struggling with getting up muddy hills. In hindsight we could have done Dropkick as we drove past both ends during our journey. We did get to see the entrance to Helldorado and Art's videos took on a whole new meaning. Olaf Kilthau, who owns Area BFE, friended me on FB yesterday. So I got that goin for me
                        Last edited by FishPOET; 10-15-13, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                          No such luck with this group. They were struggling with getting up muddy hills. In hindsight we could have done Dropkick as we drove past both ends during our journey. We did get to see the entrance to Helldorado and Art's videos took on a whole new meaning. Olaf Kilthau, who owns Area BFE, friended me on FB yesterday. So I got that goin for me
                          Cool. We have an "in" at bfe for next trip.
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                            Cool. We have an "in" at bfe for next trip.
                            When???
                            Check out .

Comment

I got back to camp after Strike Ravine at 2:30pm. The big dinner wasn't until 6pm. I decided to run up to Gemini Bridges. It turned out to be IMO the best views of an already out of this world scenic trip.

From Gemini Bridges Road looking across Hwy 191, looking across the Brand Trails, Arches National Park in the far distance

From Gemini Bridges Rd looking across Hwy 191, Sand Flats Recreation Area in the middle ground and the La Sal's in the distance

From Gemini Bridges Road looking across Poison Spider with the La Sal's in the distance

Gemini Bridges

After looking at the Gemini Bridges I was looking South and that voice inside said walk that way. I walked to a point approx 200 yards away and was greeted with IMO the best views of the week.

This was the South view

This was the East view. Bull Canyon near ground, Poison Spider middle ground and the La Sal's in the distance

Back on Gemini Bridges Rd. Gooney Bird Rock.

The big dinner was moved at the last minute to the bowling alley. "The Pit" as it is called closed to the public and ended up being a great place to gather. Chicken dinner with all the fixins, a big raffle with lots of cool prizes (I won a $25.00 gift certificate) and the highlight of the night was when they raffled off a Cherokee. http://www.giveawayxj.com/

to be continued...
                              Last edited by FishPOET; 10-15-13, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X