Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Western Sierra's Trek

I was able to break away for a couple of days and head up the western Sierra's for some great high country 4 wheelin. I ran most all of the black diamond trails up there that the JK was able to do comfortably.

I did a 3 mile round trip hike up to Mystery Lake - very nice trail

Then the Brewer Lake 4x trail, that ends at Brewer Lake. Then up to the Bald Mt lookout.

The next morning on over to the trail I was most wanting to do - the Red Lake/Coyote Lake trail. This turned out to be an awesome trail - approx. 3 miles long - and was mostly boulder crawling all the way - great trail.

Red lake was an awesome place to visit - very scenic lake right at the base of Red Mt. I didn't attempt the remaining 3 miles to Coyote Lake. Maybe next time.

You must return back out the same way in - cool!

From there I headed over to Mirror Lake, which they say is the most difficult trail in the Red Mt area. I drove the first 3 miles, which were similar to the Red Lake trail and then to the heart stopping down hill to the lake. The good news is there 2 or 3 winch points the forest service has put in strategic spots on the hill climb.

Since I didn't bring my toe strap I had to make sure my boots didn't slip and fall down as I hiked back up to the Jeep.

The next stop was at West Lake - very nice. For being a Sat. there was not that many people up there at any of the lakes - great day. After a stop at the pizza shop in Shaver Lake for lunch it was back to Fresno for the ride home.

This has become one of my favorite places in the Sierra's for trailing in the Lodge pole Pine forests.

Dinky Creek and hike to Mystery Lake - one of the Dinky Lakes

Mystery Lake at 9000ft

Last edited by mkjeepers; 07-31-13, 05:57 PM.

Great report and fantastic photos. This area is high on my bucket list. Maybe next summer......
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Great Pictures...looks like you had a great time.....no other Jeeps tagged along?

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
        Great report and fantastic photos. This area is high on my bucket list. Maybe next summer......
        Putting you in charge of my jeep vacation next year. I am in

Comment

The rocks, beauty, and solitude gotta have made for a wonderful vacation. Beautiful pics as always, MK!
          [COLOR="#8B4513"]'07 FJ Cruiser / Trail Snail :[/COLOR] http://www.flickr.com/photos/100987726@N04/sets/72157635368968357/

Comment

Splendid stuff Mike! That is one of my favorite areas in the western Sierras.
            The area seems to be very Jeeping friendly and the views are gorgeous.

I have been on all the trails in the area except for Mirror, Strawberry, and Spanish Route. Mirror is high on my bucket list, so thanks for the pics!

When you have the TJ, try Swamp Lake trail. Take someone with you though. It can be tricky.
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Great pics; looks like you had a good time. Any idea why the Dusy is closed?

Comment

Man that looks like a great trip :-)
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Splendid stuff Mike! That is one of my favorite areas in the western Sierras.
                  The area seems to be very Jeeping friendly and the views are gorgeous.

I have been on all the trails in the area except for Mirror, Strawberry, and Spanish Route. Mirror is high on my bucket list, so thanks for the pics!

When you have the TJ, try Swamp Lake trail. Take someone with you though. It can be tricky.
                  I intentionally avoided the Swamp trail - it is on the extreme side. Mirror Lake only has about a 1/2 mile extreme section, the rest is very doable. There was a group of well equipped vehicles that invited me to go with them down to Mirror lake, and drag me back up if nessasary - but I don't know......

I originally was going to take the TJ, but decided to just run the easier trails and explore the lakes.

The forest service usually doesn't open the Dusy until later in the season every year.
                  Last edited by mkjeepers; 07-18-13, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Great pictures and report Mike.
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Yep, no doubt the Shaver Lake area of the Sierras is one of my favs. Thanks Mike.
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

This! \/

Originally posted by hook&ladder View Post
                        putting you in charge of my jeep vacation next year. I am in
                        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Great Photos and report. I would be interested in heading to this area for sure.

Comment

Very nice photos! I was just up there on the 28th-30th. Took my stock little YJ on the Strawberry lake trail and had a blast.
                            We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

[QUOTE=mkjeepers;226132]
                              Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                              From there I headed over to Mirror Lake, which they say is the most difficult trail in the Red Mt area.
                              Never heard that one,everyone thinks Coyote is the most difficult.

Mirror is actually rated moderate,and Coyote is rated most difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X