Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Manhunt Run!

With a suspected killer on the loose and he was suspected to be in the BB area, it was our obligation to go check the back country for the fugitive. (The fact that was a beautiful day with fresh snow on the ground, plus Sergio had never been to these trails had NOTHING to do with it. )

Sergio (50yj) and I saw the Cougar Buttes MJR crew gathering for their run as we passed by on our way to Rattlesnake Cyn. I thought about stopping to say "Hi", but we were on a mission.

We ran up Rattlesnake to Mottino. Didn't see Chris Dorner, but we did find what appeared to be a murder victim:

There wasn't any snow at Mottino Wash. I was a little disappointed since there was snow down to 2500 feet in RC when I left that morning. But on the other hand, The rocks were fun to play on without it:

Lots of fun, but no Dorner. Heck, we didn't see anyone all day until after we had lunch at the Spanish Smelter:

Even then, it was just a single Jeep cruising through. We took 2N02 over to Baldwin and we soon found plenty of snow:

This was Sergio's first real snow run and we found some 1 foot deep patches for him. We stopped by the beginning of Gold Mtn, but it didn't look like Dorner or anyone else had been up the trail:

The day was getting late, so we by-passed Gold Mtn and made a path towards John Bull. 3N16 had plenty of tracks and we came across some traffic. But Dorner wasn't one of them. After leaving 3N16, we quickly found ourselves in virgin snow. The JB Gatekeeper was fresh and untouched:

I stole all of Sergio's pics and video when we got back, so I will put together a video of the run. The Gatekeeper in the snow was tough to get through since neither of us were using chains. I made it up eventually and stopped at the first flat spot. Sergio went back to get his jeep to find that he had a flat. His spare was back in Lucerne Valley so he plugged it as best he could:

Unfortunately, he forgot to grab his CO2 tank when we started out. I offered to come back down to air him up, but he decided to to try to get to me instead. So Sergio climbed the Gatekeeper in the snow with a flat! You are going to love the video!

When he got to me, the tire wouldn't inflate. We found two more punctures. One was way too big to patch. So back down we went:

We took Jacoby Cyn out to the pavement. Fresh snow all the way through:

But even with the snow as padding, the flat tire was completely abused by the time we got to the road:

Sharon and I drove down to LV to get Sergio's spare while he took the tire off. After we got back it was a quick fix and we were back down to LV in no time. I'm pretty sure Dorner isn't in the back country now. :wink:

It was loads of fun. I'll try to get the video posted soon. We need more SNOW RUNS!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Looks like you guys had a blast... I really like Motino. Sorry we did not see you all at KOH... Back Door and Chocolate Thunder were under surveillance by a small Drone for... Dorner? Any Drones on the trails?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Spares are good!

I'm glad you guys had a great time! Rattlesnake Cyn is fun any time of the year. I'll monitor Rattlesnake Cyn and let you know if and when it gets snow if you would like. Maybe we could make a quick run up there.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        But even with the snow as padding, the flat tire was completely abused by the time we got to the road:

Destroyed that tire pretty good, pretty amazing that the H2 rim never lost a bead, those rims really clamp a tire
        Last edited by JeepGal; 02-11-13, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
          Looks like you guys had a blast... I really like Motino. Sorry we did not see you all at KOH... Back Door and Chocolate Thunder were under surveillance by a small Drone for... Dorner? Any Drones on the trails?
          I didn't see or hear any drones today, but then again my Jeep is noisy. It was a good day to play. I hope that you had fun at KOH. I wish that I could have gone with you.

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          Spares are good!

I'm glad you guys had a great time! Rattlesnake Cyn is fun any time of the year. I'll monitor Rattlesnake Cyn and let you know if and when it gets snow if you would like. Maybe we could make a quick run up there.
          Sounds like a great plan!
          We saw you coming through town as we were pulling out of the Valero. You were past us before I could honk to say Hi.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            Destroyed that tire pretty good, pretty amazing that the H2 rim never lost a bead, those rims really clamp a tire
            I was really impressed with that too. Especially when he climbed the Gatekeeper at JB. It was awesome to see.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I bet , Mr Green all better also?

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                I bet , Mr Green all better also?
                Yes! The new cylinder head seems to be solid and leak free so far. 240 miles and no codes yet. I have a few things to tweak, but isn't that always the case?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Here is a video of Sergio on an extra credit line in Mottino Wash:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Video of the JB Gatekeeper in the snow.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZpKO...ature=youtu.be

[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the great trail report. Another one of the trips that I miss so much. Jacoby in the snow is always a fun time.

Comment

Looks like a blast... I have never done a snow run... seems like you just add a bit more throttle and hang on!!

Comment

It's like being the ball in a pinball game.
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                            It's like being the ball in a pinball game.
                            Hey Skeeter, Curtis nailed it! Cleghorn in the rain is very similar. Nothin' but lock it, gun it, and hang on. Can't wait to do it again!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Great video Mike. For being my first snow run i was not ready for knowing where i would get traction. We have to go back to run the rest of the big bear trails and see the rest of john bull.
                              If you don't like the way I drive, stay off of Kurts foot!

Comment

Working...
                              X