Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusy/Ershim & Swamp Lake In August!

Hey Everyone! I am gathering together a group of us Jeepers to go up on Dusy/Ershim Trail sometime in August. (Budget 3-5 days) There will be several of my pals from Tahoe/Sacramento area as well as the Aftershocks 4WD club going and id like some of the MJR crowd to go who can make it. This trail is rated #3 behind Rubicon & Fordyce Creek trails. It is 29.6 Miles long and im sure most of you know how challenging it is. There are great lakes to swim and fish along with some awesome scenery since we will be between 9-10,000 ft elevation most of the time. This will be a Rated PG trip so family is welcome. Anybody interested, please email me or reply here. We may also do Swamp Lake trail if time permits.
    This trail is NE of Fresno in the central Sierras. I am trying to pick dates that will work best for everyone so OPEN YOUR CALENDARS and let me know.
    Rick
    Aug 6-9
    60.00%
    Aug 13-16
    20.00%
    Aug 20-23
    0.00%
    Aug 27-31
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

" [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
    Rick W6RE

oooh oooh
    i am interested in this run. how many jeeps are you expecting to be in this line up? i know chris [dukes69] is going to want in on this as well.
    i'd hate to see a 15+ jeep roster on a run like this... it would take forever :oink:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

See: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888

August is a bad month for me. I'm usually working on getting the cars ready for Bonneville. If I had to pick some dates it would be EARLY August!
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Sorry to say I really doubt we'll be able to make this one. Rick's vacation is g-o-n-e. Maybe we can grow one of those money trees . Next year though, in place of the Rubicon.
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
          oooh oooh
          i am interested in this run. how many jeeps are you expecting to be in this line up? i know chris [dukes69] is going to want in on this as well.
          i'd hate to see a 15+ jeep roster on a run like this... it would take forever :oink:
          Right now I know if a possible 6 rigs on the trial but it's open to as many as want to go. 3 XJ's, 1 TJ, 2 YJ's so far....
          Some of us move fast on the trail so the quick ones will go ahead and be in radio contact + they will secure the kind camp sites while the rest of us battle-axe our way through.
          Last edited by RangerRick; 07-05-04, 06:04 PM. Reason: add info
          Rick W6RE

Comment

My son and I do a Big Bear trip every Summer, maybe this is the year to do something different. I do have one or two questions though.

1) How difficult is the trail from a kids POV. I have a 15yr old who will be fine but also a 4yr old who is dead set on tagging along

2) This trail requires everything to be with you right? By that I mean all your food and camping supplies.

3) Are there going to be requirements for the participating Jeeps? I only ask that because I have heard this is one hell of a trail, and I don't want to drag someone through 30 miles of rocks. I will if need be, I just don't want to.

4) Iis it a roundy roundy trail or a straighty straighty trail? You know end up where you started or somewhere else. That ? relates to the tow rigs.

Ok it was 4 questions, sue me.

I voted for the first weekend of August.
            Sean M Higgins

"We all got it coming kid"

Comment

here is a nice map of the trail.. below you will find a link with much more info on the trail. it is said to be 3-5 days to run 30 miles, so... that should give you an indication of the level of difficulty. it is sopposed to be a bit more difficult than the rubicon.
              printable map
              http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy...tm#Description
              ERIK

Comment

well, my laptop just wigged out after I was ready to send a response on the condx of the trail and answers to questions....... Darn touchpads, I must have too much capacitance cause they go wild if im even 3 inches from em....

More to follow on questions.....
                Answered.....
                Rick

Well, Im not the Sue'n kind so you have no worries there. I make my money the honest way....Ummm no offense to any who practice out here as long as they ain't practicing on me lol!

As far as the other questions, the trail is not loopty it goes from point A to B as the map posted shows, 2 it is a tough trail kinda in league with Rubicon and Fordyce cause it is #3 in the lineup of who's who of 4X trails. and kids if they like camping and can take 90% crawling over rocks and stuff, then they will have a good time. It is beautiful and worth the trip. Lastly, it is recommended you have short wheelbase with 32" tires minimum and one locker is desireable. However, there will be 2 to 3 Cherokees going and some with open diff but these guys are Rubicon veterans and know how to pilot their gear. Hope this answered some questions for you and if you want to read about it FunTreks Inc. publishes several trail guide books and this trail is in the Northern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails edition.

Rick
                Last edited by RangerRick; 07-05-04, 10:42 PM. Reason: more info
                Rick W6RE

Comment

Hey Erik, We would love to get you on board with us this trip and anyone else who will be recovered from the Rubicon by then.... It's gonna be a blast and I have the (BlEEP EDIT) fire permit...... huhhum I mean CAMP FIRE PERMIT! OoOoPsE! No seriously, that was a joke. But we alrady have 3 confirmed rigs on the trail for sure going and I don't think this will turn into a Jamboree of sorts with 500 vehicles going.
                  Rick W6RE

Comment

I would like to make this trip. Have to check which dates would work.
                    ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                    00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                    97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by OllllllO
                      Hey Erik, We would love to get you on board with us this trip and anyone else who will be recovered from the Rubicon by then.... It's gonna be a blast and I have the (BlEEP EDIT) fire permit...... huhhum I mean CAMP FIRE PERMIT! OoOoPsE! No seriously, that was a joke. But we alrady have 3 confirmed rigs on the trail for sure going and I don't think this will turn into a Jamboree of sorts with 500 vehicles going.
                      pencil me in i even have permission from the wife.
                      what are the dates looking like? i'm pretty open.
                      ERIK

Comment

There is no way you will do Dusy and Swamp in 3 days. I would consider it if it is over a weekend. If time is an issue, Swamp is just as hard but is a 2 day trip vice 3 for Dusy.
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I could have done The rubicon in 1 day if I wanted to but it would have been a rough ride and something that wouldn't have been enjoyed. I was planning that swamp would make it a 5 day out trip..... 3 for Duce and 2 for Swamp. Not sayin' that anybody needs to do two trails in one outing but im sic like that. I almost did Rubicon and then Fordyce back to back but the water level was too high according to PG&E's website that weekend. However, im always game to do them back to back or if the majority doesn't want to, id just be satisfied with Duce..... So far the pole shows early in the month. or at the end 3 to 1. My heater core went out today so im under the dash tonight fixin' her.
                          Rick W6RE

Comment

This really sound tempting but work and school will not give me time off. My friend from Bakersfeild and I are planning a trip to Dusy or Swamp on Sept. 4 - 6. Since Monday is a holiday I can take advantage.
                            Joe Rojas
                            1994 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Originally posted by OllllllO
                              I could have done The rubicon in 1 day if I wanted to but it would have been a rough ride and something that wouldn't have been enjoyed. I was planning that swamp would make it a 5 day out trip..... 3 for Duce and 2 for Swamp. Not sayin' that anybody needs to do two trails in one outing but im sic like that. I almost did Rubicon and then Fordyce back to back but the water level was too high according to PG&E's website that weekend. However, im always game to do them back to back or if the majority doesn't want to, id just be satisfied with Duce..... So far the pole shows early in the month. or at the end 3 to 1. My heater core went out today so im under the dash tonight fixin' her.
                              You can also do Dusy in one day but your Jeep will be beat to shit. Do a trail like the Daytona 500 isn't fun.
                              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
                              X