Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Feeler Thread - Survivalists Camping/Wheeling

So I must admit... If there is one great thing that has come of me buying a Jeep and moving to Az it is the fact that I've gotten back in touch with all the things I grew up with; hunting, fishing, shooting, (beer drinking) and many other outdoors recreational things. As my wedding draws more near, my Jeep collects more dust, and the winter approaches I thought I'd toss an idea out...

I'm thinking of doing a 7 day trip starting in the dessert, then making our way to the mountains... SBNF/CB sound like a winning location? I'd like to get a group together to head out with minimal supplies and do a camping/education/wheeling trip. I'm thinking the focus would be less on the wheeling and more on the camping and education. As so many of us (even though it isn't advised) wander out into the wilderness to play for a day, I think it would be great for us to all come together and share our knowledge; who better to learn from than friends?

I see two possible routes for this:
    1) No camping gear but a sleeping bag, minimal food/water, and an itch to really get into a 'hardcore survival mode'.
    2) Camp less accomadated than normal (no camp stoves and such), but maybe each day one or two people give a quick lesson on a helpful survival tactic that would benefit a Wheeler.

Either way you can't go wrong. I'm not too familiar with the CB climate but I'm hoping to do this at a time of year when the dessert is hot during the day, moderate at night, and the mountains are getting into the 40s and 30s...

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make it clear what I'm envisioning. If we don't garner a large response for this then I imagine I'll still do the trip and set aside a day to wheel with the MJR family

** I couldn't figure out the polling feature so... Post up with your ideas and which option you'd lean more towards **
    Last edited by TipsE-Z; 06-22-12, 12:28 AM. Reason: Can't Figure Out Polling
    USMC F&AM

I love survival trips. Used to go out all the time with a knife and prayer. If I have the time I am all over this.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I figured I could count on you to be a part of this Rat. I also figured I could learn a little bit from you. Below is an example of something that I'm hoping we could all share:

Wet Weather Fire Starting -- 1 piece of steel wool, 1 9V battery. Scrape the 9V across the steel wool and it will ignite into red hot, blow on it a bit and you'll have what you need to start a fire. This works even if the steel wool has been submerged in water.
      USMC F&AM

Comment

I've never done anything like this, but it's of extreme interest to me. I know a lot of the theory, but have never practiced. I don't know if I could get 7 days off from work, but I'd like to keep an eye on this thread to see how it unfolds. And regarding fire starting: magnesium starters do the trick every time!

Comment

Sounds fun. I grew up backpacking and wandering the desert's. I've learned a few things over the years also. If I can swing it im down. I still start my camp fires with steel and flint.
          After all, what could happen? Attacked by a large animal? Hell we just throw Rat at it and make our escape.
          Come to the dark side.....
          We have Cookies!

Comment

This does sound like a fun deal.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoobi View Post
              Hell we just throw Rat at it and make our escape.
              I think it'd have to be a fairly desperate animal... I mean, can you imagine trying to choke down a Rat
              USMC F&AM

Comment

You only have to run as fast as the last person.
                All slow and no show

Comment

I'm definitely interested. 7 Days for me might be tough to get free, but I'll see what the options are. There are a lot of cool things to use to get by in the SBNF. The desert provides some cool things too. Spring is more bountiful for food items, but if you are trying to survive, you usually don't get a choice of seasons...
                  [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                  Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

I agree with ya Mike, choice of seasons isn't usually an option... Typically it is the worst season that caused you to get put in the situation it seems. I'm hoping to do this in the fall right after my Honeymoon, but it may end up waiting until the Spring. At this point I'm trying to see how many folks are interested and to get people thinking about the little things they know.

Curtis, glad to see you're joining in on the fun as well. It seems like the usual suspects are rounding themselves up.
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

This sounds awesome! I've learned a few tricks along the years that I can share. I might be in depending on the dates..

Comment

All i can say is noone better be squeemish or give me crap if i catch and cook a snake!
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                          All i can say is noone better be squeemish or give me crap if i catch and cook a snake!
                          I've always wanted to try snake. I've always heard the rattle ale this tasty.
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Same here, been wanting to taste some Rattler instead of it tasting me. Can I bring my blanky and all my pillows lol, the old bones need some pampering

Comment

I can tell ya that Rattler stew is good (no I didn't make it) but I always wanted to try snake kabob.I agree with Art, I got to have my pillow!
                              Dennis and Tammy
                              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                              X