Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a liitle bit of history on the SCE power plant at Agnew lake. It looks like the dams and tram way were built around 1915.

Below is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

[COLOR="blue"][ By 1915 a roadway was constructed up Rush Creek to just past Silver Lake, and a rail tramway system was moved from a defunct mine at nearby Bodie into the steep and rugged mountains above for the construction of two dams to provide Hydroelectric Power. The Rush Creek Hydroelectric Project was a significant step in the development of Hydroelectric Power in the State of California, and the Rush Creek Power House began producing electricity for distant cities in 1916.

Transportation of materials for construction of the plant also turned out to be costly; tramways had
    to be built and barges used to carry men and supplies to the remote construction sites. ]..[/COLOR]

After looking at the rail construction for awhile we figured out how the system worked - The way the tram was raised and lowered was with a large electric winch at the upper tram station. The cable was attatched to the tram car and wound on a large drum, much the same as a Jeep winch....only with a 1"+ cable 5000ft long. As the tram car was lowered the cable rolled on idler wheels the full length of the tracks to keep the cable from draging on the ground, and idler wheels also to keep it in line with the tracks as the tram would go around the bends.

Kind of a rustic design, but it worked. The tram is still usable today and seems to have been in opperation recently.

There are 2 lakes used in the power plant operation - the lower lake is Agnew lake and the upper is Gem lake. They use boats or barges to go across Agnew lake and then load supplies to a second tram and winch it up to the Gem lake dam. I guess that was state of the art technology for 1915. Works for me...

Idler wheels

This one kept the cable from going too high

The tram car. The car was kept at the top to keep the cable from exposure. The electric winch is in the shed.

Coil over suspension

Tram details

Upper Gem lake tram

Cable marks on the wheels
    Last edited by mkjeepers; 05-30-12, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Awesome! Definitely added to the Bucket List!
      How far of a hike is it to the top?
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Awesome! Definitely added to the Bucket List!
        How far of a hike is it to the top?
        If you follow the tracks it's 5000 ft. If you take the trail is approx 2 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
          If you follow the tracks it's 5000 ft. If you take the trail is approx 2 miles.
          I may have to do the hike without Sharon. But the pics sure do seem to be worth it!
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Its definatley still in use, (the tracks) we have several sets of these over in Big Creek also (western sierra) that have been abandon due to FS regs. Cool stuff........

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
              There are 2 trails that lead to the lakes above. We took the one the guy at our hotel told us about. It starts where the stream from the waterfalls goes under the June lake road. It's a faint trail that skirts the edison buildings and connects to the rails just above the lower tram station. The other trail starts by Silver lake and crosses the tracks near the top.

The total distance on the tracks is 5000ft.....according to the markings painted on the RR ties.
              I've done the trail out of Silver Lake numerous times numerous years ago. It starts right at the Silver Lake general store, I believe it is the JMT-PCT.
              Great pics thank you.
              How many little drips are in a quart?

Comment

Originally posted by ediot View Post
                I've done the trail out of Silver Lake numerous times numerous years ago. It starts right at the Silver Lake general store, I believe it is the JMT-PCT.
                Great pics thank you.
                A local at our hotel told me about the other route.

Comment

Cart looked like it had some Skyjackers or Rancho springs on it, also looks fairly new

Comment

Originally posted by InlandZJ View Post
                    Cart looked like it had some Skyjackers or Rancho springs on it, also looks fairly new
                    I'm sure the tram is still in use, but didn't look like it has been moved for some time. The plaque says the breaks were added in 1998.

Comment

Working...
                    X