Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Eastern Sierra's Exploring

My daughter Clarissa and I took 3 days to explore some more of the turn of century historical mine sites in the eastern Sierra's.

The first day we started with 2 lakes above Bishop Ca. - North lake and South lake. South lake had an old steam boiler by the lake, but not sure of it's use. North lake had an old 1933 mine that looked like it was pretty active in it's day. The mine tunnel was blocked for the most part.

The second day we went from Crowley lake over to Mono lake using the back roads across the volcanic table lands. VERY nice high desert (8000ft). There are several mine sites, but time only permitted what was on our main route.

From the Benton hwy to the Hawthorn hwy we passed through wild horse country. We saw several herds with some of the nicest horses around...quite impressive. There are several old round up corrals all through this area.

From there we headed up to the ghost town of Bodie. Bodie is one of the largest and best kept mid 1800 towns to be found anywhere. From Bodie we went west up over the mountains (9000 ft level) to the old ghost town of Massonic. There's nothing left of the town but several old mine diggings.

A mile or 2 from Massonic is one of the nicest old mines and mill sites in the area. The Chemung mine had several structures still standing and was in a very scenic area overlooking the Sierra's to the west. The views from this mine were great. The road from Messonic comes out at Bridgeport lake. From there we headed to June lake for the night.

Out last site to explore was the old tramway from Silver lake up to Agnew lake, located on the June Lake Loop road. It was built by So Cal Edison for their power plant. This railway was quite impressive and very steep. The length of the rails went 5000ft gaining approx. 1500 to 2000 ft in elevation. Some sections had to be 60 degrees in angle - almost like climbing a ladder walking up the rail road ties.

The weather was perfect and we found a lot of interesting new things. If you like these kind of things, check them out soon. These structures are falling down fast.

Slideshow #1 No. So. lakes
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Slideshow #2 Crowley Lake to Mono Lake

Slideshow #3 Bodie and Massonic

Slideshoe #4 Agnew Lake Tram

South Lake

Mine near North Lake

Benton Rd

Adobe springs cabin

Adobe Ranch Corral

Mono Lake

Bodie

Gray's stamp mill

Road to Massonic

Chemung Mill Site

Agnew Lake Trail

Very Steep

Last edited by mkjeepers; 05-24-12, 10:03 PM.

Awesome pics. You went to several places that I have been wanting to go. Looking forward to seeing more photos.
    Now for the important stuff: How was the fishing?!?
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Awesome pics. You went to several places that I have been wanting to go. Looking forward to seeing more photos.
      Now for the important stuff: How was the fishing?!?
      They were pulling them out like crazy. And there were no crowds anywhere except in Bishop...it's mule days there this weekend.

Comment

Oooooh Yeah! I can hear them calling me!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Great pics.

Comment

Beautiful shots Mike. I love that area and can't wait to go back. Agnew Lake Trail has been added to the bucket list.
            Check out .

Comment

Blue skies , nice pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                Beautiful shots Mike. I love that area and can't wait to go back. Agnew Lake Trail has been added to the bucket list.
                There are 2 trails that lead to the lakes above. We took the one the guy at our hotel told us about. It starts where the stream from the waterfalls goes under the June lake road. It's a faint trail that skirts the edison buildings and connects to the rails just above the lower tram station. The other trail starts by Silver lake and crosses the tracks near the top.

The total distance on the tracks is 5000ft.....according to the markings painted on the RR ties.

Comment

Gonna have to book mark this page as we will be doing our annual pilgrimage to Mammoth soon and always looking for places to explore while waiting for White Mountain to open up.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by DaK View Post
                    Gonna have to book mark this page as we will be doing our annual pilgrimage to Mammoth soon and always looking for places to explore while waiting for White Mountain to open up.

Thanks for sharing.
                    They got a very light snowfall this year and most of the backroads looked pretty free of snow drifts. We were up to about 10,000ft with no snow around. We could see the White mt's, for the most part they looked driveable.

Comment

Glad to see the Chemung still holding up.

Did you get to the cemetary in Aurora?

Comment

Very nice as always Mike. More places to put on my explore list!

Mike
                        "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                          Glad to see the Chemung still holding up.

Did you get to the cemetary in Aurora?
                          I originally wanted to go up to Aurora....it didn't look like much was still there and we were short on time. Maybe on another trip.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                            They got a very light snowfall this year and most of the backroads looked pretty free of snow drifts. We were up to about 10,000ft with no snow around. We could see the White mt's, for the most part they looked driveable.
                            Clearly less snow than last year. Last Memorial Day we tried to go from Bodie to Masonic and got stuck in this!:

I'm glad that you had better luck and got such good pics. I can't wait to go get some pics of my own.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Clearly less snow than last year. Last Memorial Day we tried to go from Bodie to Masonic and got stuck in this!:

I'm glad that you had better luck and got such good pics. I can't wait to go get some pics of my own.
                              I was afraid there would be drifts like that in this area also - but all we had was dust. We've gone up into the Sirerra's on the 4th of July and couldn't get through various area because of the snow...not this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X