Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Panamint Mines #4

Here is another couple of the turn of the century mines in the Panamint Mts.

After checking out Clair Camp I headed up to a very seldom visited mine - and for obvious reasons - it was 2000+ feet above the canyon floor.

The first mine was quite a ways up the mountain perched at the 7000 ft level. A tram system was used to get the ore to the mill at the bottom. This mine looks to have have been untouched for decades. There were no foot prints in any of the tunnels, which numbered about 4 or 5. Each tunnel was at a different level.

There was quite a spectacular view of the Panamint area from the top - it was also pretty cold up there as well.

From there I went on up Pleasent canyon into Middle Park to see a couple of other sites.

Slide show.
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

I saw a herd of these guys on the way up the canyon. They got bored of me after a while

Clair Camp

Mine way up one of the mountains. This was an interesting set up - the old truck axle was turned by the tram cables, which in turn turned a pump that pumped water up the the mine tunnel - pretty clever.

Another set of mines. All 5 tunnels looked identical to each other inside.

Tram Station

Spring is here

Last edited by mkjeepers; 03-24-12, 09:22 PM.

Thanks for posting, but still jealous you got those places to go to.

Comment

Great Pics! I know where most of these are, but not all of them. I'm looking forward to chatting about where the tram station is.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Great Pics! I know where most of these are, but not all of them. I'm looking forward to chatting about where the tram station is.
        Send me a PM. Also recheck the post I have been editing it - Photobucked is Sooooo slow.

Comment

Nice photos of a way cool place. Wish it was not 5 hours from my house…
          [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

When I was there earlier this year I saw those cables going up the mounting and wondered. We took a mining road up the side of the mountain and kept seeing the cables going further up. You must have taken the correct turn to get you on up there.

Did you talk to the guys living at the trailer? We were figuring that they were working a mine a bit further down the trail. There was a cable across the trail going up.

Mike
            "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
              When I was there earlier this year I saw those cables going up the mounting and wondered. We took a mining road up the side of the mountain and kept seeing the cables going further up. You must have taken the correct turn to get you on up there.

Did you talk to the guys living at the trailer? We were figuring that they were working a mine a bit further down the trail. There was a cable across the trail going up.

Mike I didn't see anyone in the trailers or in the refubished cabin in Clair C. It looked like there hadn't been anyone there for a while. There was a pick-up parked in front of the refurbished cabin, but it looked like it hsd been sitting for some time.

The mines at the top of the mountan hadn't had any activity in them for probably decades. I saw only one scratching on the wall and it was dated 1988. The road with the chain looked like it went a little ways up the canyon to a possible current mine site, but I didn't have the time to walk up there.

I'm not sure if guys are still mining or just parking on their claim sites. But still the area is a great place to explore. I still have a couple other sited to check out sometime. BTW I love the new JK over the previous.

Comment

Nice pics. Gonna have to get up there and check some of this out sometime

Comment

Great report Mike. Yea and it looks like your putting some miles on the new JK.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                    Great report Mike. Yea and it looks like your putting some miles on the new JK.
                    I got about 2500 mi so far. Wanting to get it broke in so I can drive it up & down the mountain. It runs great.

Comment

great pictures....to the original poster, i live in ridgecrest not too far from there and would love to head up that way with you next time....

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                        Mike I didn't see anyone in the trailers or in the refubished cabin in Clair C. It looked like there hadn't been anyone there for a while. There was a pick-up parked in front of the refurbished cabin, but it looked like it hsd been sitting for some time.

The mines at the top of the mountan hadn't had any activity in them for probably decades. I saw only one scratching on the wall and it was dated 1988. The road with the chain looked like it went a little ways up the canyon to a possible current mine site, but I didn't have the time to walk up there.

I'm not sure if guys are still mining or just parking on their claim sites. But still the area is a great place to explore. I still have a couple other sited to check out sometime. BTW I love the new JK over the previous.
                        The flat bed truck in front of the trailer nor the pick up truck was there when I went through.

So the new motor and tranny is a big improvement in the 2012s then?

Mike
                        "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post

So the new motor and tranny is a big improvement in the 2012s then?

Mike
                          It's a big improvement. I just put on the MTR's today, drove to Riverside and on up the 18.......nice....the new JK performs like a normal vehicle now. LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X