Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Maping help needed - could be fun!!!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Maping help needed - could be fun!!!

I am writing to you in regards to the Cal4 Trail Mapping program. As you know the Forest Services and BLM are initiating a program to map every trial in the State of California. Their concept will be that if the trail is not on THEIR maps, then the trail is closed. We need to make sure that we have a complete inventory of every trail so that we can assure that the trails are on the government’s maps and remain open.

Our web form is up and running and we now need to have project managers from each club contact me as soon as possible. We need a project manager from each club to help manage the project. Can I get a volunteer from your club within the next few days? Patrick@pk80.com or 310-489-8251. I would appreciate it if someone from your club would contact me as soon as possible.

The project manager is not expected to do all the work, just to manage or coordinate the efforts. It is recommended that the project manager to not do any of the mapping and only the drive some of the trials or none of the trails. The idea is for the project manager to split up the work as much as possible with as many people as possible so that each person is doing a little. The project manager’s job is purely to coordinate the effort and follow up with each person to assure the work is getting done. This will be plenty of work in and of itself and will probably be the biggest job.

We also want to collect information about each trail as to the significant landmarks and uses of the trail, so that in the event that the government considers closing a trail, we will have a war-chest of information about why the trail should be kept open.

This is a very large job! Just my own personal estimation, but I believe there are over 10,000 trails in just the Southern District. We need the help of every Cal4 member if we expect to accomplish this task in time.

We have created an information form on the internet that will make it easy to enter the information. This form can be printed out and carried on the trail so that the info can be penciled in and then keyed in when the four wheeler gets home. Go to Roughwheelers.com, click on the TRAIL MAPPING link to the form. You can enter information on the form, or print out the form from this screen.

As most of the clubs are in the city, and most of the trails are not, I attempted to assign clubs areas that were as close to them as possible. Obviously some of the areas assigned to some of the clubs will be a distance away because there are no clubs on the east side of California and we still need to map those areas.

The project should take place in two phases.

Phase one is to take maps of the area and key in all the information of trails that you can find on the maps. Find as many different maps as you can to cover the area. As you key in the information to the web site, the web site will be creating a data base file, which will plot the trails on our computerized maps. We will email you updated computerized maps on a regular basis so that you can see the trails you have already plotted. It takes a little time and work to get the maps back to you so you should mark the trails you are submitting on the latest update, until you get the next update.

Phase two will be to drive each trail, filling in the missing info on the form. While driving the trails we should be looking for any intersecting or other trails that are not on the maps. We then need to map those trails.

Please have the person who volunteers to be the project manager from your club contact me as soon as possible.

Patrick Johansen

Patrick@PK80.com

310-489-8251
    Kirk
    1997 Jeep Wrangler

Arizona was trying this a year or two ago. The biggest fear among the off road community was that once they had a inventory of the trails and their locations, then they could start systematically start closing them. As it stands now, they can't close what they don't know exists, due to the "open unless closed" policy.

If there were a "closed unless open" policy, then the route inventories are the way to go.....but unless that actually happens, I would not turn the route info over to anyone involved in the government. It would be too easy for them to start closing them once they know where they are....basically using all the off road communities work against them. Be careful, and good luck!
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

So what's the plan Kirk?
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Sarah and I will take care of the high desert...
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

My friend was a part of this a few years back. He did it on his dual sport. Covered lots of areas. Found lots of new trails. I think it'd be pretty cool to cover and expore some new areas - They say it is to keep the trails open. They are closeing all trails in area's except the mapped trails - I don't think this could be a bad thing.
          Kirk
          1997 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

rick, map your wash.
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I have about 7-8 trails already charted on gps. Most are already available in the norcal and socal trails books.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

does anyone else think this is b.s.?
                why do we have to do the 'work' then they're the ones that are trying to close our trails?

Comment

Sarah, IMO, there are two ways to look at this. Which one is right (from a off roaders point of view) really depends on the governments true intention.

The first way is to take Kirk's post at face value (that is, the govt is being honest on thier part). If they truely intend on closing all land that is not mapped, then this is a good deal for us. It gives us a opportunity to show them (the govt) what trails are out there, and what to keep open.

The second way is right (again, from our point of view) if the govt is not being honest in its stated intention. That is, they are not going to close everything that is not mapped. If that is the case, then providing them the locations of all the trails just makes it that much easier for them to close those trails.

From what I have seen (and take this with a grain of salt, because I am not nearly involved as I should be with land use issues), the govt is currently only closing individual trails, and large blocks of land. They are not closing large blocks of land "except for XYZ trail"...they close the whole darn thing. If they knew a trail was in that block of land, would they leave it open? I doubt it...that trail is probably why they closed it in the first place.....because why would they go through the trouble of closing it if there was no access in the first place? (can anyone tell I don't trust the government? )
                  olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

i hear ya goodtimes. i say if they don't know the trail is there, then how can they catch us there!!??

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                      rick, map your wash.
                      And when you do, I want to help!
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                      X