Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Best mid-week run ever

Yesterday Mitch, Ol Man (Rich), and I met for a mid-week run in the Ord Mtns. north Of Lucerne Valley. I know the Ords well but there are still many trails I have not explored. The trail we chose for yesterday's run starts out at Hwy 247 about 2 miles below the Goat Mtn. Summit. This trail is supposed to be difficult with an area of steep off camber side slope.

We had great weather, a little cool at 63 F for the high and light wind out of the north. The sky was crystal clear and you could see forever.

When we first left the Hwy, we took a side trail to a mine Mitch wanted to show us. It still has the remains of an old wooden head frame.

After leaving the mine we headed east on the trail. It winds over a hill and through a valley and works it way up to a saddle. It runs from sandy to rocky with a few little rock gardens that don't present a problem but rather kinda fun.

From the top of the saddle we could see dust being kicked up by the wind on Means dry lake miles and miles away!

Heading down rom the top of the saddle the road is rough and this is where the off camber area is. I was dreading it as I'm still a little shell-shocked from flopping my Jeep. It turned out to be much ado about nothing. We got through wih no problem what so ever. It was fun!

The trail works it's way down the canyon to a sandy wash at the bottom. We explored a mine with a wood/corrigated shed built on the front of it.

Our next stop was Quill Spring where we had lunch. In the canyon we were protected from the wind and it was the most perfect place to eat.

The cottonwood tree is remarkably doing well the leaves haven't started to change colors yet. Ths spring itself is damp, but no standing water at this time. I would like to mention that ther are two gates at the spring. These are to keep the cattle from destroying the spring. PLEASE CLOSE THE GATES IF YOU EVER GO THROUGH THERE. Unfortunately, some ass-wipe removed one of the gates.

From the spring we went to the Quill Tungsten Mine about a mile from the spring. From there the trail leads to a ridge top at 4,802 ASL. The view was stunning!

From there we took a trail that leads to Joker Spring which is where the range cattle are rounded up. There is a big watering tank and a large corral there. I am not sure if cattle is still run in the area.

Joker spring was our last stop. After saying good-bye to the spring we worked our way in a southwesterly direction and eventually returning to Hwy 247 near Peterman Hill.

Many thanks to Mitch & Rich for a perfect day. The best ever!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger and Mitch, thanks for a great day.
    Rich

Comment

Roger,

Thank you for another great day in the desert. Rich it was great seeing you too. It had been a while. It is so amazing that we did another 6 hour trip and did not see on person or vehicle. So many interesting things to see and explore. Roger has so much knowledge to share about the area, but I love showing him some of those special spots he doesn't know about. A truely wonderful day.

Mitch

A cool little mine less than a mile off Hwy247

Nice rock cairn along the trail.

Roger and Rich

Cool USGS Survey Marker from 1916

Another off the beaten path mine

Quill Spring and Quill Mine

Lookout point at the end of the Quill Spring trail. Incredible views

Tyler Dry Lake in the distance

Trail from Quill Spring to Joker Spring

Joker Spring

I called this guy over from 20 feet away. Very tame

It's a dry heat!

Comment

Great photos Mitch! I really like the one ones where you are playing with the color settings.

Rich, It was great to have you join us! Let's see what next week brings!
        MJR moderator
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Hey rodger .Hang on for atleast another 10 yrs or so and i will be able to go with you guy,s .lol

Comment

Originally posted by xthread View Post
            Hey rodger .Hang on for atleast another 10 yrs or so and i will be able to go with you guy,s .lol
            You still have Friday's off?
            MJR moderator
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Kinda sorta .gettin ready for the plant shutdown .after thanksgiving its all about work till feb 1st .merry xmas to me but the moneys great .

Comment

I assume you are referring to shutting for maintenance & repairs. Not shutting down as in going out of business?
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

NO NO NO .Just makin repairs .

Comment

Working...
                  X