Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was pretty shocking that at the public meetings on the closures only about 4 or 5 people showed up at each meeting. I have been donating to CA4WDC For years and don't remember anything about this. But I do have CRS, so does anyone else belonging to CA4WDC remember anything? But there is a real need to get the information out ot the offroaders better.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Someone from the "Go For A Hike" club was there and video tape it, watch their sites for some possible postings.

I think it went fairly well, towards the end questions started recycling and that's when it ended. A few good points I remember in trying to get a trial open or not have it closed was to have specifics why the trail should be open plus the offroad community needs to polarize itself as one and not a bunch of individuals to gain a better balance in this process. Greg can't do it all.

Comment

Been surfing for that club Tom, but no luck. Gotta website for them? I did however find some other interesting SC news. I really wish more offroaders would spend time on the Sierra Clubs sites to see how organized they are and how well they run thier operation. It's an eye-opener to see what we are up against.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
          These were mostly numbered road closures discussed at the meeting. Greg Hoffman stated the closure process is almost done, with mostly administrative work to be completed. There are some roads being closed for the season due to erosion and traffic issues. These are temporary closures for the season. During the meeting there was discussion about certain trail closures but none are scheduled to be closed at the time of this meeting. But that could easily change so keep informed and act when it is required. As mentioned above, complacency has been our biggest enemy. There is a effort starting to have a more easily accessed information site where you can go to find out the lateset happenings. That site will be advertised soon.
          Its already there

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...land&pname=San Bernardino National Forest- Land & Resources Management

BLM and NPS have similar web pages

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
            Its already there

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...land&pname=San Bernardino National Forest- Land & Resources Management

BLM and NPS have similar web pages
            There is a new site coming, formed by the SBNF Friends organization that will act as a liasion and source of fund distribution to the volunteer forces.
            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
              There is a new site coming, formed by the SBNF Friends organization that will act as a liasion and source of fund distribution to the volunteer forces.
              I was refering to this

There is a effort starting to have a more easily accessed information site where you can go to find out the lateset happenings.
              I am aware of SBNF Friends. Fortunately I use more that just our National Forests and I prefer more information to come straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

My point was that the information is already there one just has to take a little time and effort to look for it.

Comment

Are the going to reopen 3n93 and 2no6 this spring?

Comment

If 3N93 is Holcomb Creek, that's MJR's Adopt a Trail. Big push to re-open this Spring. Get with Rat Patrol to find out more info about how you can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Red rubicon View Post
                    [COLOR="Sienna"]Red Rubi... I assume you're talking about 2n06X which intersects with 3n93? MJR doesn't have that trail for maintenence, so we can't really give an update on it. It does need work, but I think FJ Cruisers (club) has that trail.

Please think about becoming part of the Adopt-a-Trail crew and help us re-open 3n93 this year.[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Cool, I am happy to help. Send me a Pm when you all head out again.I love Holcomb creek and miss running it.

Comment

Cool, I am happy to help. Send me a Pm when you all head out again.I love Holcomb creek and miss running it.
                        Please sign up and come out and help. Nobody's running the trail these days and it's been a handful so come on down put in some time for the cause. Miles of smiles when it's all done.

Cheers

Comment

2N06 - Radford truck trail - is the Riverside Highlanders offroad club's trail. There is a seasonal gate on the northern side (where it intersects with Skyline Dr) which will reopen in the Spring.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Here's a report, from another club, of the AAT meeting that took place in Corona on the 19th Some good info here.[/COLOR]

SBNF AAT Meeting 1/19/11

Meeting notes

There's a new 501(C-3) Non-Profit that was created. It's purpose is to be able to collect funds that can be funneled back into the Adopt A Trail program. Right now, all money comes from and is spent by the Forest Service, or individuals that buy things as part of their adoption work. This will allow for donations and fundraisers to help provide even more cash for the program. Rick, from the Psyco Hummers (helped out with the big barricade on Luna) is the President. Angela, involved with the AAT, is also an office of the new company. There's only about 6 people in it right now, as it just was formed yesterday. More info will come.

They are creating a new website for the program, and have a new web master. This new website will also have pages for the individual clubs to share info on the club, as well as the adopted trails. One of the goals is to have this be THE source for up to date info on the trail conditions. More details, including URL, in the next few weeks.

There's $20,000 available for signage. Most of it will likely be spent on signs for Cleghorn, to more clearly identify what is legal and what is not. Since the bypasses that they left open are now legal, they want everyone to know. I guess some people have been trying to report use of the bypasses as illegal, even though they are now officially part of the trail. Also, other signage in the forest will provide details on the fact that going off the trail is now subject to $50,000 fine and/or 6 months in jail. This is for making new trails or driving across the wilderness. Law enforcement is being brought in as well. It has gotten bad, and some of the recent lawsuits are causing this push. The official PLAN from the Forrest Service states that they will protect these areas, but they haven't been really enforcing it. Since they lost/settled the recent suit, they are now ramping up some enforcement.

A new safety guide book is up. We'll get a copy over here.

2010 results of the AAT - 312 miles of road were maintained, 42 miles of trail, 13,586 Man Hours with a value of over $1Million. This is the most ever in the history of this or any other AAT program.

There's an expectation that this year will be a bad one for fires. given the amount of rain, it's almost a certainty. Looking at the last 16 years, the big ones seem to come every 4 years. 2007 was when the area by 3N06X was burned, and now here we are 4 years later. One items that was mentioned, was some detective work you can do if you're in the forest and a fire starts, or if you head towards it. Make a note of all the car's and as much plate info as you can.

They handed out the awards for the AAT program hours. The top two clubs were at about 1500 hours each. My Jeep Rocks and Inland Empire Jeep Club. They'll be posting the full list to the Yahoo group, and we'll get them over here.

Greg is requesting road and trail assessments ASAP. Need to get a good overview of the conditions after the rains.

There's a big work day being planned for Holcomb. A huge area of the road has turned into a creek bed, 16 feet lower than the road had been before. The plan is to haul in a large number of huge rocks and other materials to basically build ramps from the current road level, down to the road level mother nature would like to see. Then, to create a rock garden of sorts as a "bridge" between the sides. They need people, and vehicles with off road trailers. You need to be willing to have the trailer beat up carrying rocks down the trails. The work dates are February 19th and 20th. Let Tony know if you'd like to participate so he can work with Greg to get you on the list. Then want plenty of people, but, need to keep the event organized and manageable.

New training is set for this year. We'll get the dates, times, and subjects posted up when they are made available.

The Forrest Service is doing some soil monitoring. If we have or see any areas that keep getting washed out, they would like us to report them.

There are some changes coming to some of the major roads that have been very accessible.They found that some were being maintained too well, and were too accessible, and not according to plan. Shouldn't affect our trails, but just some of the roads getting there, like Crab Flats. It was also pointed out that the current administration in Washington has put together a plan for 2020 that said that 74% of the Forrest road needs to be accessible to sedans. It's kinda funny. One side of the mouth says no one can use, the others says it should be everyone.

There's a rumor of some super secret trail that has been created in the Forest, called the Garden of Eden. Greg is curious. Supposedly there is a website even. Didn't show up in my Google search.

That's it. Next meeting is April 20, 2011, 7pm at the Sizzler in Corona.

Comment

Working...
                            X