Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS. The medical reasons I cited are not due to high blood pressure, though one might draw that conclusion from my previous posts about the Cleghorn fiasco :-)
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Turns out that I won't be going. I have to go to Romoland Saturday AM. I hope someone will take notes and post them.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

Tammy and I will take notes for you. We can also 3 wheel thru that "S" turn on Box Canyon for you after the meeting. Tammy wants to practice on the rocks tomorrow

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
          Roger,

Tammy and I will take notes for you. We can also 3 wheel thru that "S" turn on Box Canyon for you after the meeting. Tammy wants to practice on the rocks tomorrow

Mitch
          [COLOR="Blue"]Why don't you have her exit through Hammerdown. I've been wanting to run the trail in that direction.[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike what is the story about the rock that fell on the trail? (Hammerdown)
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
              Mike what is the story about the rock that fell on the trail? (Hammerdown)
              [COLOR="Blue"]During the last earthquake a house size boulder came down on the main part of the trail right after the opening obstacle.

The trail is still doable but there is just an added obstacle to go over. Not a major challenge, unless you take an alternate route someone put in around the rock. [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike we need to go out and look at the new buggy trail we found. We also should do a maintenance run on fixing the stakes on the trails.
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                  Mike we need to go out and look at the new buggy trail we found. We also should do a maintenance run on fixing the stakes on the trails.
                  [COLOR="Blue"]I'll pick up a couple of bundels of stakes and we'll plan a run out there.[/COLOR]

Comment

I think I might already have enough stakes Mike. Let me know when you go.
                    Ron

Comment

Mike I also have some stakes left over from last time.

Comment

Man I am so bummed, I tried hard to get up there today, but just can't. I wish these things were online based, like they do for the Sierra National Forest.

If anyone is checking here, and can inquire and/or take notes about the following, I'd be very appreciative:

Related to Cleghorn:
                        1. Was it SBNF's intent to leave such horrendous eyesores as trail blocks?

2. Are these trail blocks "permanent", or will some additional work be done to remove the fire hazards and erosion risks?

3. Does the SBNF consider their Cleghorn experience a success? Or, will SBNF modify their "notification" policies going forward for future trail closures based on the negative feedback from the Cleghorn experience voiced here on MJR and dozens of other enthusiast forums?

4. Will SBNF put up information signs on effected trailheads, closed spurs, etc...? On Cleghorn specifically, there is a lot of doubt in some areas about what is closed, or not.
                        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]I think the meeting today was a great success, approx. 80 people showed up.

Greg Hoffman answered every question very thoroughly and professionally, giving good reason as to why the things in the NF happen and reasons for the way they happen - Everything from erosion control to seasonal road closures. I think Ron G. will give a more thorough report later.

I think one of the main points from the meeting is that the 4 wheeler public needs to be more involved in the public comment sessions given by the NF before they start to make closures and other OHV changes. This was Greg's biggest complaint - there was very little input from the public when these changes were being decided.

Once the changes are made and approved, there is very little anyone can do to un-do the changes. Although they can be appealed, there's not a good chance the changes will be reversed...but there is still a chance.

I think Ron and the MJR Mod's are going to make these meetings and other alerts better known in the future.

After listening to Greg Hoffman for 2 1/2 hours it is my firm belief that he is the 4 wheelers best ally for keeping open the OHV trails in the SBNF. He goes far beyond his duty for the OHV system in the SBNF.

One thing you may or may not know, is that the closures to the SBNF and other NF's nation wide have been handed down from Washington DC. These closures are not local or from someone's lack of input or output. The Obama Admin. put the closures into play for all of the NF's....but the public is given an opportunity (by law) to comment on these closures prior to having them go into "law".

The current closure opportunity was lost due to the fact that most did not even know there was a comment period. But hopefully we'll be better alerted in the future. Again Greg's greatest point and complaint was that there is very little responce from the 4x public.

This was mainly what I got out of the meeting, I'm sure others will have comments as well.

Again it was said repeatedly if you don't like something the NF is doing, let them know. Many changes in the past haven't taken place because someone protested the changes.[/COLOR]
                          Last edited by mkjeepers; 01-22-11, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Mike,

Well put and well stated. Greg and his knowledge of the area, historical dates, and related info was impressive. Greg was very open to any question and encouraged more. A very positve meeting.

Mitch

Comment

What trails are being closed?

Comment

Originally posted by gomuddin View Post
                                What trails are being closed?
                                These were mostly numbered road closures discussed at the meeting. Greg Hoffman stated the closure process is almost done, with mostly administrative work to be completed. There are some roads being closed for the season due to erosion and traffic issues. These are temporary closures for the season. During the meeting there was discussion about certain trail closures but none are scheduled to be closed at the time of this meeting. But that could easily change so keep informed and act when it is required. As mentioned above, complacency has been our biggest enemy. There is a effort starting to have a more easily accessed information site where you can go to find out the lateset happenings. That site will be advertised soon.
                                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X