Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: T-Day in DV 2010

Well, for the third year in a row, I have somehow convinced people to go spend the holiday weekend in the Death Valley National Park area. So far, they are still claiming me as a friend.

We had Dr.Dirty (Scott, Amy, Cloe), MyWifesJeep (Mike D., Shirly, Niko), FishPOET and WestwardHo (Doug and Tracy), Dirtman13 (Chuck, Aleshia, Cody), Rat Patrol (Kurt), and Roger (Roger) who joined us late Thursday Night.

The theme this year was to explore the northern part of the park. Wedesday Night, we all met at the Wildrose Campground to have a place to leave the tow vehicles. The night was a chilly 19 degrees and we woke to gusting wind. We were highly motivated to get packed up and moving in the morning.

I bought and repaired a trailer for the trip since I had both Sharon and her mother Louise with us. I had that trailer loaded as fast as I could, but I still had to take breaks to get out of the wind:

For Thanksgiving Day, I woke up with a head cold, so I was very happy when we got to the valley floor and the weather was much warmer. We needed to get to the northern part of the Park, so we headed up Hwy 190 and then over to Lone Pine, Ca. Along the way, we were treated to views of Father Crowley Point,:

And Snow in the Eastern Sierras:

We took US 395 up to Big Pine, gassed up for the long haul one more time before heading out Death Valley Road for 48 miles to the Eureka Dunes. We had to climb a pass that reached over 7200 feet in elevation. We found snow on the ground and ice in shadowed patches on the road:

The view back towards the Owens Valley was nice:

After a long trek down the pass, we were excited to finally have the Eureka Dunes in sight:

I had fun climbing the dunes and taking photos. I had wanted to climb to the top of the highest dunes, but at 700 feet above the valley floor, I didn't think that I could get there and back before sunset (or a cardiac arrest!). Regardless, I got deep into the dunes:

Doug and Kurt also made the trek up some of the steep dunes. I'm looking forward to seeing some of their pics:

For Thanksgiving Dinner, we had a spread that would be envied by anyone! We started with two deep fried turkeys prepared in camp, and then added hoards of fantastic dishes made by everyone that went:

It was one of the best Thanksgiving meals that I have ever had!

As the sun set, we started prepping for the cold night. Louise was getting the hang of how to stay warm in the desert:

And it was a good thing too. Although the morning was clear, windless, and beautiful, the low was 8 Degrees!:

After packing up, we trekked around the dunes toward Steel Pass. The road passed around the northern and eastern sides of the dunes and the early morning sun gave us some nice vistas:

As we left view of the dunes, we immediately entered into Dedeckera Canyon. This section is a series of four small falls that must be climbed:

For light, high clearance vehicles with large tires, the obstacles were no serious challenge. But for Chris and Ginger, some folks that we met in camp with a Ford Van Sportsmobile, the falls started out as pretty challenging due to the size and weight of the vehicle. But once Chris flipped on the electronic lockers, the big beast just rolled right through. I have some video of this that I will share later.

Above Dedeckera, the climb up Steel Pass has some great geological features:

But the one that I was searching for was the Mysterious Marble Bath. We had to briefly stop our search to replace a brake caliper bolt that Chuck shook out on the rough washboards. We said goodbye to Chris and Ginger at this point, since they were headed to the southern end of the park.

Once we got the repair completed, we were back on the trail to find the Marble Bath.

To be continued.....
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Mike,

My thanks to you, Sharon, and the gang for a great weekend! Hanging out with you guys was fantastic.

What never ceases to amaze me is the talent of this group. We had two major breakdowns of trailers. Here we are 100 miles from anywhere and the group was able to make the repairs with what we had with us and Chuck's welder. Even though major breakdowns are never good, just being with a group that was able make the repairs made it a wonderful trip. I hope pictures of the repairs are posted!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Here are some pics from my group of 400...
      Morning in Wildrose

on the road. We did alot of it...

Eureka Dunes

footprints of the dreaded Chicken Pteradactyl

Flora of the sands
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Death Valley for T-Day

So the story on the Marble Bath is that several old maps from the 1900's had a geological feature marked on them named The Marble Bath. Many geologists have searched for the this mysterious feature but haven't found it.

But we did! I'd tell you where, but tradition requires that the location must be kept a secret. But it is an awesome feature, well worth the search:

As we made our way down the Steel Pass into Saline Valley, we came to three natural warm springs. The upper one is the most natural of the three and has two tubs with the warmest one being around 99 degrees:

The second spring is called Palm Spring and has two large tubs, one on either side of the road. These are developed and surrounded by campground sites.

The lower spring is by far the most developed and is in a very nice and upkept setting. The water is a warm 106 degrees at the both of the developed springs. Clothing is optional at all of these springs and the holiday weekend attracted hundreds of people to the area.

Even so, we were able to find a nice camp spot that wasn't too far from the very nice vault toilets but still far enough to seclude the children from the nude bathers.

People have been attracted to the area since the stone age, but it was the 60's/70's that seems to have left the biggest marks:

After the sun went behind the tall Inyo Mountains, the air started cooling down:

But the night promised to be much better than the previous two nights. We settled in after dinner and told stories around the fire and sipped our favorite beverages for quite a while:

The next morning was bright and clear. The night had dipped into the high 20's, but the day was warming up quickly:

After breaking camp, we headed for the Saline Valley Road. Along the way we stopped to admire the elaborate Bat Rock Road marker:

On the Saline Road headed south, we saw several wild burros:

We made a brief detour to the Saline Lake shore:

Before crossing back and heading up the bajada to the Big Silver Mine:

The mine had a couple of streams flowing through the area and several mill related equipment pieces scattered about.

From there, we went to the remnants of the salt beds and tram that hauled very pure salt from the Saline Lake up and over the Inyo Mtns and back down to Swansea in the Owens Valley:

We were headed to the Lippencott Grade and the Racetrack Playa from there, but on the way, I had a spectacular trailer self-destruction:

It was amazing, all the tools came out, including Chuck's magic welder, and a crew of folks worked to get the trailer repaired:

We eventually got the trailer road worthy again with some creative repair work and a little manual adjusting:

I REALLY appreciate all the help guys! I would probably still be there if it wasn't for all of you.

As it was, we lost a lot of daylight with the repair work, and a storm was moving in over the Inyo Mountains by the time that we were moving again:

Even with a change in plans to go as quickly as possible back to the Wildrose campground, we had a lot of road to cover with only a little light left:

Heading up the Grapevine Canyon the temps dropped quickly. The water crossings had significant ice:

At the top of the gap, Mike D had a serious trailer failure with his spring mounts. Out came the welder as the light at the overlook faded:

It was quite dark by the time that we were moving again. Doug had gone ahead to get his truck and trailer from Wildrose in an attempt to find a campsite in the lower (and warmer) Panamint Valley floor. Roger called him on his HAM and let him know that we had a trail repair delaying us a little longer.

Long story short: No good camp site in the valley + storm moving in + high winds in the valley = we just decided to drive home instead of camping Saturday night.

Regardless, it was an excellent adventure and a killer T-Day dinner! I really enjoyed the company (even though it was through a DayQuil haze at times) and am looking forward to the next adventure with this crew.
        Last edited by Mike; 11-28-10, 04:39 PM.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Man guys it was a wonderful time. thank you all for having us tag along. Death valley sure did give us a run for our money. After all who doesn't like waking up to 8 Deg weather.
          [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

More dunes...

Contrasting geology

Ozzman was going crazy running up and down the dunes

Sparkles, the Hollywood actress, viewing the activity in th 8 degree morning.

Unbeleiveably beautiful

The feast- 2 turkeys, mashed potatoes, sweet potato souffle, herb salad, homemade cranberry sauce, stuffing, dressing, ham, all the trimmings and two kinds of pies for desert! With good folks in a great setting, who can ask for anything more except I wish everyone at MJR could have been with us!

doin some 'splorin

bye bye Dunes

lower Dedekera canyon

Cody in the famous Marble Bathtub

I think the Pink Flamingo likes him!

Comment

Thanks everyone for a great trip. Not even the blistering wind, freezing cold, multiple trail repairs, and the death ride home could ruin a great time with great friends.

I can’t say enough about the food for Thanksgiving. You all did an awesome job.

View at lunch in Big Pine.

On the way to Eureka Dunes.

The dunes.

Yummy bird.

The feast with great friends.

Heading to the Marble Tub.

I think we all wished this was a real tub with nice hot water.

Saline Lake

The trailer demons were with us again.

No man left behind.

The rest.
              http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-10/?start=all
              Check out .

Comment

Looks like you guys had more fun than me, I had to work. Maybe next year I'll join ya

Comment

<super jealous mode on>
                  Look's like a great time. You're DV trips keep getting better each year.
                  <super jealous mode still on>

Comment

more pics

Ghostly night tree

Salt crystals

Comment

seasonal streams

Comment

Wooooooooow! Gorgeous pics! Beyond freezing temps! Wooooooow!
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Seeing your pics puts DV on my "need to do soon list"...You mentioned tow vehicles; did you just leave them at first nights campsite?

Comment

Just beautiful! Looks like a good time as!
                            http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Comment

Ginger and I just wanted to say thanks again for letting us tag along.

Our original plan was to head out through Steel Pass but after a ranger advised against it and a minor mechanical problem the day before we decided going solo might not be smart.

So thanks again to the entire group it was nice meeting everyone and traveling with you all.

Heh! I think I need a jeep now!!! I have been looking for a Sami to tow, but!! hmmm maybe an older TJ?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X