Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
    Just avoid Odessa Canyon and/or Doran loop and you'll be completely fine. Everything else is easy. There are easy routes to Bismark which is a huge mine that scares the bejesus out of me. I've seen guys go in with full on air tanks and so forth. It's quite a maze. There are probably forums with detailed reports and route mapping within Bismark, but I've never searched them out and have no desire too!

For example, this exposed area is the top of the dome of one part of the mine. Everything you see was underground, but they collapsed it to prevent cave-in's I think. There are still a number of chutes, some of which go way underground and come out behind from where I'm standing:
    I have been in the Bizmark mine several times, no need for oxygen though as its well ventilated. But you are right, there is a maze of adits and spurs that if not paying attention, you can find yourself disoriented and alittle lost. We have spent up to 3 + hrs in those tunnels and not seen day light. There is alot of good timbers and old ore car tracks left to see. Best way if desired to see these is to go with someone that has experience in spalunking.
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
      It's south east of Bismark, just above the loop trail. It's not visible from the loop trail itself, unless you take the Phillips loop, which is where that shot is taken from. Do you know where that section of trail just up a fairly steep section with crumbling sections of pavement on it, not far from Kramer Arch? It's at the top of that ridge.

I marked up a Google Map:

I know exactly where these are as my wife and I have been in those mines. Not much to see. There is one that I walked back into that if I had to guess probably extends back in about a mile or so and I still never reached the end of it. It has a good breeze blowing in it which indicates that it has a second entrance at the other end. This one still has some of the old ore cart tracks made of 2x4's turned up on their sides and flat metal stock nailed to the top of it. Its a good walk and good things to see.
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Working...
      X