Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Calico this Saturday the 27th

I'm heading out to Calico this Saturday with my 12 year old son. Wanting to check out some of the mines, and do a little target shooting with the shotgun. I'm thinking of heading up Mule canyon to Bismark, then exploring the northwest area beyond Bismark, then probably coming down Doran.

I might be spending the night up there too. Not sure yet. I'll be prepared too just in case.

Anyone else going to be up in that area?

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Heck Nathan it,s been awhile since I,ve had the jeep out. I may come up for the day!! I,ll know more further into the week..Happy Turkey Day to ya..Geeb
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Had a good day. Shot 100rnds each, warmed up the shotty pretty good. Went to the far north end of the area, amazing views over (coyote?) dry lake from atop a 3200' butte, Explored two new (to me) mines. One was a U-turn tunnel with a large underground cistern water feature that sorta spooked us. Got up very close to a hand sized tarantula, and my 12 yr old soloed behind the wheel for the very time. Great day, but headed home at sunset, through gnarly traffic and then Rain!
      Last edited by nwoods; 11-28-10, 01:07 AM.

TreadLightly Trainer
      HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pics. Wheelin, exploring plus shootin with dad thats cool!

Comment

I think I seen you going up a canyon as we were coming down? Was that you behind all the Suzuki Samurai's?

We were camped in the camp ground by the Cemetery from Wednesday night to Sunday Morning. Cold, windy, even had a little rain Saturday night. Friday we played around on the West side. Saturday we worked our way from Ft Irwin Rd through to Mule Canyon. Explored lots of off shoots.

Comment

Only saw one Sammy, and that was with a small group of Jeeps. I'm not sure you saw us, but yeah it was a little chilly!

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Where is pic #3 taken at? It looks like out by Bizmark, but I don't recognize the direction in which the pic was taken.

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
              I'm heading out to Calico this Saturday with my 12 year old son. Wanting to check out some of the mines, and do a little target shooting with the shotgun. I'm thinking of heading up Mule canyon to Bismark, then exploring the northwest area beyond Bismark, then probably coming down Doran.

I might be spending the night up there too. Not sure yet. I'll be prepared too just in case.

Anyone else going to be up in that area?

Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
                Where is pic #3 taken at? It looks like out by Bizmark, but I don't recognize the direction in which the pic was taken.

It's south east of Bismark, just above the loop trail. It's not visible from the loop trail itself, unless you take the Phillips loop, which is where that shot is taken from. Do you know where that section of trail just up a fairly steep section with crumbling sections of pavement on it, not far from Kramer Arch? It's at the top of that ridge.

I marked up a Google Map:

TreadLightly Trainer
                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Nathan,

I need to get out there some time with you when it warms up a bit. I have only explored a few areas and have wanted to avoid the hardcore trails but still get to the cool mines.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                    Nathan,

I need to get out there some time with you when it warms up a bit. I have only explored a few areas and have wanted to avoid the hardcore trails but still get to the cool mines.
                    Mitch you dont avoid any trails lol. who borrowed your computer? i want to finish red cloud and sneak into silver king some time soon. these pictures are great! calico is one stop shopping for outdoor fun
                    KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Nathan,

There are probably over 100 mines, or at least test digs and so forth in a 20 square mile area. To quote the immortal Mater from Car's, "You'd be happier than a twister in a trailer park over tha'r"

TreadLightly Trainer
                      HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Troy,

Too funny! But as my idol Clint Eastwood said "a man has to know his limitations". Getting used to tipping has been a slow process. Keep me level and I'm there.

Comment

Troy,

Too funny! But as my idol Clint Eastwood said "a man has to know his limitations". Getting used to tipping has been a slow process. Keep me level and I'm there.
                          Just avoid Odessa Canyon and/or Doran loop and you'll be completely fine. Everything else is easy. There are easy routes to Bismark which is a huge mine that scares the bejesus out of me. I've seen guys go in with full on air tanks and so forth. It's quite a maze. There are probably forums with detailed reports and route mapping within Bismark, but I've never searched them out and have no desire too!

For example, this exposed area is the top of the dome of one part of the mine. Everything you see was underground, but they collapsed it to prevent cave-in's I think. There are still a number of chutes, some of which go way underground and come out behind from where I'm standing:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

The mine at the end of the Odessa trail is quite a cool one, the hike to it might be a bit unnerving for people with fear of heights.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                              The mine at the end of the Odessa trail is quite a cool one, the hike to it might be a bit unnerving for people with fear of heights.
                              that hike is intense because i am a bit afraid! now i just cheat and drive above the mine and hike the short distance down. google earth used to have a picture of a group of jeeps parked above it....probably some of you guys!

names of that one are odd. most people call it Odessa mine, but the geocache crowd call it the Oregon mine
                              KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Working...
                              X