Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Two on the trails with our fearless leader Russ. The plan was to go up Southpark and over Chicken Rock, passing by a couple of "adopt a cabins" along the way... Then to a couple of mines before heading out to the plateau with the most amazing view of practically the entire Death Valley!

Lining up, airing down, and prepping for the driver's meeting...

The "Adopt A Cabin" project in full force...

On our way to "Look Out Point"

then we headed up and down and up and down and up and down through Splendar Canyon (Russ, please correct me if I am wrong)

Took a quick stop at Rogers Pass...

and then getting back to camp at 0 dark 30 pm...

There will be a couple of videos posted up on YouTube shortly...

A great adventure and one we plan to do for many years to come!

Here is the link to the whole photo album...
    http://s937.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
    Last edited by MyBrokenJeep; 11-15-10, 09:51 PM.
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

I had a great time at my first Panamint Valley Days. I will be back. Enjoyed the camp company. On Fri., I ran the Cummins Cut-off trail up to the Defense Mine. That was fun.
      We were in the middle of the valley when the two F-18's came by. What a show. When we got up into the canyons, a jet flew by that scared the bejesus out the group. "Who blew a tire?" " I don't know but I need to check my shorts."

Got treated to the Igofshn/Russ tour of the area on Sat. That was fun. I had the pleasure of meeting a few new people from the Central Ca area. Can't wait to see and wheel with them again.

I won a raffle prize on Saturday night. Some nice goodies. The big one being 50% off of a lift or other stuff from Superlift. I also won registration to the High Sierra run over the 2011 Labor Day weekend.

I have yet to download my pictures. Soon.

Comment

Here is a short video from the Saturday run...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQkz1SvWLvg
        Regards,
        Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

Comment

Sounds like a fun time. I love the video on Chicken Rock. "See it's not really that big a deal....Wo Wo Wo Wo" as the front wheel goes up in the air! Great pictures Randy

Comment

Yikes Thanks for that video! It just reminds me to stay the HECK away from that road!!LOL..It,s one fear I have no desire of overcoming...yours truly shelf road sissy...LOL..Geeb
            "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

South Park scared the crap out of my wife and I.
              Last year when we did the jeep recovery, I hiked the canyon below it, and someone else drove our jeep around Chicken rock.
              We will not do South Park again!

Todd
              Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
              Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

It definitely has an intimidating reputation to say the least!
                Regards,
                Randy

Comment

a year or so ago I did the first say 50 yards of Chicken Rock ..that was it I got outta my jeep hugged the side of the bank and my buddy behind me drove my jeep pass the worst part I walked behind him then got in and drove it the rest of the way...
                  "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

I drove over it last year, twice (once both ways) in the day light and twice in the dark. It's just the reputation that gets you all spun up.

Our roll over last year there may have something to so with some of the spinning, but hell get back on the horse and ride. Just be smart and safe about your driving.

Comment

Chicken rock is no big deal. it is about 12" (1 foot) rock that you drive over. The Jeep barely leans. It is just the sensation with the cliff next to you.
                      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I want to say Thanks to great group of wheelers and a special Thank You to Russ for his outstanding knowledge of Panamints history and leading Saturdays run. I really enjoyed this trip and look forward getting back out there sometime in the spring time. Maybe we'll figure out what the flowers on our backs are for....

Comment

Here is one more photo from Isham Canyon. It is hard to see but I almost fall off the edge of this ledge in this photo. I do come back down and make it barely. The other trails look fun. I always run Isham and Cummins each year.

Comment

Good pic.

Comment

On Friday, Al (igofshn), Clay (cweed), Jason (Jason), John (Cohuhol), Mike (mikegyver1) and I joined the CA4WDC Cummins Cutoff run. This is one of the more technical runs on the PVD agenda. The run leader was John Hively of the San Diego 4WD Club. There were 28 rigs on the run; although many people don't like to run a difficult trail with a large group, I didn't mind because we had an experienced leader and trail hands, and I could learn a lot from watching other drivers tackle some of the obstacles. This was at the optional "slot" on Waterfall Zero. I don't know the driver. The damage was minor; just a few scratches. After this flop, the trail leader put a winch line on each vehicle that tried the Slot:

Continued....
                              Last edited by Russ Chung; 11-20-10, 12:25 PM.
                              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                              KI6MLU

Comment

Here are some more pictures of our group on Waterfall Zero. This is Al's (igofshn) Samurai:

Jason's YJ:

Mike's (Mikegyver1) TJ:

continued.....
                                If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                                KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                                X