Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Big Bear area mines

I met up with Mike K this morning in Apple Valley to do some historical exploring thru the BLM and SBNF areas from Apple Valley to Holcomb Valley and Big Bear. I have a good knowledge of local mining history but Mike is the King! He has explored so many off the beaten path spots I am totally impressed! We went to so many places today. After 7 hours we split up and each headed home. I stopped at the Metzger Mine, then drove up Gold Mountain from 3N16, then back down and then hit Jacoby Canyon on the way home. What a full day.

The first area we explored was the Coxey/Juniper Flats area. Mike showed me several old sites with concrete slabs and mill sites, old equipment to old mine tunnels. A beautiful area.

Another site north of 3N14 heading towards Coxey Meadows.

Next we headed to Holcomb Valley. Mike showed me the Belleview well, the Bench Mark rock which was used for lining up all of the claim markers, Wilburs Grave, Wilburs Pond, a mill site in the middle of the meadow, The Wright Mine, The Independence Mine, The Patty Ann Mine, and several un-named mines. Awesome winding trails thru the forest.

Wright Mine

Wilburs Grave

The Bench Mark

Belleview Well

Old Mill site

Independence Mine

Incredible structure at an un-named mine

Another un-named mine

The Metzger Mine

Going up Gold Mountain from 3N16

Awesome Jacoby Canyon

What a great day. Thank you Mike for sharing !!!!
    Last edited by Mitch; 11-06-10, 11:03 PM.

Great report Mitch. You guys had a full day.
    Last edited by curtis; 11-06-10, 09:36 PM.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]It was a great day in the mountains, cool & breezy. We visited most of the mine sites that still have artifacts still present.

Sunrise over Strawberry Peak[/COLOR]

Un-named mine.

Comment

Mike where are the pictures of the bat? What a great day.

Comment

I have a neighbor that grew up at the Wright mine.

They were working the Wright and the liberty mine. The Liberty is West across the canyon. They were living at the Wright where the wood foundation is.

The Liberty mine was a better paying mine.

They ran a cable from that now dead tree to the Liberty mine and used the little tractor to pull the full ore cars across the canyon. That tree still has a L shaped piece of metal in it that helped guide the cable.

I don't know what happened but they put all the Ore cars, drills etc into the Liberty mine and blasted it shut.

My neighbor said they planned to return but never did.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]It was a great day in the mountains, cool & breezy. We visited most of the mine sites that still have artifacts still present.

Sunrise over Strawberry Peak[/COLOR]

Un-named mine.

View of the high desert

Holcomb Valley where the Gold Rush started.

C.D. Johnson Lumber Co stamp that's at least 50 yrs. old.

Old dam dating back to the cattle ranching days.

Fall colors in SBNF

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
              I have a neighbor that grew up at the Wright mine.

They were working the Wright and the liberty mine. The Liberty is West across the canyon. They were living at the Wright where the wood foundation is.

The Liberty mine was a better paying mine.

They ran a cable from that now dead tree to the Liberty mine and used the little tractor to pull the full ore cars across the canyon. That tree still has a L shaped piece of metal in it that helped guide the cable.

I don't know what happened but they put all the Ore cars, drills etc into the Liberty mine and blasted it shut.

My neighbor said they planned to return but never did.
              [COLOR="Blue"]Thanks for the history Chris. They'll never be able to return to the Liberty mine now that the road is permanantly closed. [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                [COLOR="Blue"]Thanks for the history Chris. They'll never be able to return to the Liberty mine now that the road is permanantly closed. [/COLOR]
                They were walking to the Liberty to work it! Thats some tough terrain!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]He was a friendly little guy.[/COLOR]

Comment

Looks like a great time! awesome bat cave pics! thanx for sharing

Comment

Heres a couple of videos from the trip

Last edited by Mitch; 11-07-10, 08:58 AM.

Comment

That bat picture is awesome. I've never seen anything like it.

The trees, views, mines and everything else are also cool, but that bat pic takes the cake.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]It's amazing how gracefully bats can fly in small areas with very little effort. [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

Your friend there is a "Townsend's Long Ear" bat
                            (Piecotus Townsendii). Heard that from a friend who is into bats. She said that they roll up their ears when they sleep. Quite interesting.

Mitch

Comment

mine addict

Please, please send me a message when you go out mine exploring again. Would love to soak up your knowledge, even if in small amounts! I've hit the "easy" mines in the SBNF, but thirst for more...

Comment

Working...
                              X