Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Camping near Big Bear/Fawnskin?

We're getting word that the forest service has closed a disbursed camping area near Fawnskin we've used for years. Looking for alternatives for a half-dozen motorhomes/trailers/jeeps. Appreciate any suggestions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.350189&z=12

Check out some of these spots on Google Maps. Some are actual campgrounds. Hope that helps

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Not trying to insult your intelligence, but Hanna Flat campground is right there. It's been re-opened since last year I believe. I don't believe you're allowed to have that many rigs, etc. at a dispersed campsight. Maybe Jeff or Doug could clarify if I'm wrong.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by WAM View Post
        We're getting word that the forest service has closed a disbursed camping area near Fawnskin we've used for years. Looking for alternatives for a half-dozen motorhomes/trailers/jeeps. Appreciate any suggestions.
        To the best of my knowledge there is not anyplace big enough to disperse camp 6 motorhomes/trailer/jeeps near Fawnskin. 3N14 is open but 3N08, 3N13 and 3N93 will not be open this year. Hanna Flats is open and would be your best bet.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Yeah, I should have been clear we're looking for a permitted primitive area, not an organized campground. That's what we enjoyed for years and we're hoping to find a similar replacement. Doesn't have to be at Fawnskin though. I was thinking about Cactus Flats, but last time I passed through our access was a 4x4 trail. Have to scout around to see if there's motorhome access.

There's no way our previous site could have been discovered on-line. You just gotta know about it. I was hoping to find someone else who knew of something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
            [COLOR="Sienna"]Not trying to insult your intelligence, but Hanna Flat campground is right there. It's been re-opened since last year I believe. I don't believe you're allowed to have that many rigs, etc. at a dispersed campsight. Maybe Jeff or Doug could clarify if I'm wrong.[/COLOR]
            Dispersed camping, not in campground
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Yeah, I should have been clear we're looking for a permitted primitive area, not an organized campground. That's what we enjoyed for years and we're hoping to find a similar replacement. Doesn't have to be at Fawnskin though. I was thinking about Cactus Flats, but last time I passed through our access was a 4x4 trail. Have to scout around to see if there's motorhome access.

There's no way our previous site could have been discovered on-line. You just gotta know about it. I was hoping to find someone else who knew of something similar.
              We camp on the north side of Holcomb Valley to do disperesed camping. There is a place back there near the end of the John Bull. I know they are closing a bit of the area off, but what no one knows about the area is that it is actually private property and they cannot close around 1/2 of it so that part will stay open.
              Great area to stage from, and close to 3n16 for access.off of 3n07
              Last edited by blackZZR; 05-22-10, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                We camp on the north side of Holcomb Valley to do disperesed camping. There is a place back there near the end of the John Bull. I know they are closing a bit of the area off, but what no one knows about the area is that it is actually private property and they cannot close around 1/2 of it so that part will stay open.
                Great area to stage from, and close to 3n16 for access.off of 3n07
                Private property or mining claim?
                Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

That'd have to be several yellow post sites adjacent to take that kind of quantity.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY
                  You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I think some of you are misunderstanding the rules. From the SBNF site:

"Remote Area Camping:
                    Remote camping is camping outside of a developed site. Undeveloped camping provides more solitude and an opportunity to "rough it." Camping is allowed in Remote Areas (Dispersed) and at Yellow Post Sites"

Contrary to common perception, disbursed camping is not yellow-post camping. The difference between disbursed and yellow-post is that fires are allowed at the yellow-post sites.

For supporting info (don't take my word for it), go here (towards the bottom):
                    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...ng/index.shtml

Comment

I take it you don't want a fire then....
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY
                      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Actually I don't think we've been able to have an open fire there for maybe five years or so. Just so to still have a "campfire" we bought a couple of propane campfires. Legal with a fire permit. Not as satisfying, but better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                          Private property or mining claim?
                          along that trail is a lot of inholdings, not mining claims. I have camped in that area a lot. and spoken to a lot of rangers back there. It is a common place for dispersed camping, the rangers go back and patrol for fire permits and to make sure you are not parking in virgin areas.
                          We pull the popup camper up there about twice a year.

Comment

I think some of you are misunderstanding the rules. From the SBNF site:

"Remote Area Camping:
                            Remote camping is camping outside of a developed site. Undeveloped camping provides more solitude and an opportunity to "rough it." Camping is allowed in Remote Areas (Dispersed) and at Yellow Post Sites"

Contrary to common perception, disbursed camping is not yellow-post camping. The difference between disbursed and yellow-post is that fires are allowed at the yellow-post sites.

For supporting info (don't take my word for it), go here (towards the bottom):
                            http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...ng/index.shtml
                            correct, and if you are running a stove you need a permit. This basically is a way for them to hold a safety discussion with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                              I take it you don't want a fire then....
                              Fires not legal except in developed camp sites, I do not think that under current conditions they are legal at yellow post
                              I may be wrong about the yellow post so I quoted you hoping you would reply and straiten this issue up.

Comment

Working...
                              X