Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a tuner? If not, I have my MFJ 949e Deluxe Versa Tuner II that I can bring. I was also going to bring my 20-160 short dipole as a back-up (so tuner is coming anyway.)

I have several automotive batteries. I will usually run about 15-20 hrs per battery. I have a 4 foot grounding rod, and several shorter lengths of braided grounding cable.

Comment

If you haven't been to this camp ground yet? You'll like it, lots of big pine trees, Great views of the desert floor. Theres lots of extra parking around the Camp ground Amphitheater. Not to mention a huge paved area by the entrance to the camp ground.

There's a few nice fire roads to explore in the area also if you have time for it.

Comment

Thanks...I was here about 4 years ago for field day, but I couldn't remember about additional parking. I do remember doing some easy 4wheeling on some fire roads through the forest.

Comment

I found out that the campground is MOSTLY first-come first-served. If there is anyone interested in joining in, I will be arriving on Thursday, and can hold a site for you.

PM me if interested.

Comment

Steve,
            I want to bring the following:
            Drake TR-4 10-80m
            ten-tec tuner
            home made inverted V antenna,
            Sm Honda Generator

Even if I only use my set-up (or if others want to also) for just a few hrs, that's all I need. I just want to prove to myself I can set up a portable station in a remote location.

I'd like to give your modern radio a try also.

Any other hams going??? Come on! It'll be a blast!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

The camp ground opened Thursday, i already ran the fire roads and cleared bolders and large limbs off. no downed trees across the roads this year.
              Rich.:gun:
              But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

Comment

I may be taking my trailer up there for memorial weekend. I was up there the other day also. I was looking for the longest and most level spots. I may come up in June also just to see what your all doing. I don't know jack about Ham radios though.

If you guys haven't picked a spot yet? I have list of the best spots. Last year a few of us went up there as a last minute idea. In order to all park close together one in our group had to jack his 34' toy hauler up like 3' in the front just to get it leveled out.

Comment

Roger and I already have reserved spots (something like #8 and #10) I hope they'll be ok. No RV though for me. Unsure what Roger is bringing.

You don't need to know much about ham radio to try field day. As long as the "control operator" is there with you, you can use the radio to make contacts.

The Independent Radio Club will be up there, and they will be running a lot of different modes. PSK-31 which is almost like chatting, SSTV (Slow Scan T.V.) which sends and receives images (usually a QSL (ham radio post card)). I think they will also be setting up a station to use the satellites. There are a lot of satellites orbiting the earth that have ham radio repeaters on them. Even the International Space Station has a ham station, and repeater. It would be cool if they were making contacts on Field Day!

Hope to see you up there!

Comment

I have camped a lot at table mountain, nice site

as far as parking, there is a large paved parking lot for snow sunrise right past the entrance of the campground
                    that means you can get a lot of guys in if we shuttle without crowding up the campground, however there may be the forest pass enforcement guys up there so be sure to have a pass.
                    Also the entire campground is on the North side of the mountains there overlooking the high desert at around 7200 feet do it would be a great place to get gear together and Dx to Canada and beyond.

I think this would be a killer idea for MJR as they would get plenty of mentoring from the existing club there, and gain experience from long time Hams. "Most" of the guys with OAUSA are newer hams so the experience level of the group at Table Mountain will be a lot better to glean information from.

I think I would love to go up there that weekend and camp out with a bunch of Hams and learn how to put on a MJR field day. However my calander is full that weekend.
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

I think 8 & 10 will be fine, the upper section has some decent spots. Some of them off to the north in the front section of the campground aren't very deep though. You guys will be alright.

Comment

Going up there tomarrow, i need to set up some treestands and trailcams.
                        But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

Comment

Stuff for field day

This is the radio I will be bringing if all goes as planned:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNq8_cgvWv4

This is the antenna I built and hope to bring:
                          http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=4180

This is like hamming in the old days. No fancy bells and whistles, but a good reliable tube type HF radio.
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

I might be able to make it to this.

I'm not sure yet, but will post an update here if I can make it.

Christian
                            "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Christian, Congrat,s on passin yer test I saw you posted...good stuff, I know Steve(SarJeeper) and the others with radio,s love it!!
                              "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Originally posted by Geebo View Post
                                Christian, Congrat,s on passin yer test I saw you posted...good stuff, I know Steve(SarJeeper) and the others with radio,s love it!!
                                Thanks, Geeb!

Christian
                                "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                                X