Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if I would consider the upper trail any different Mitch....as I remember it's a LITTLE off camber near the top, but worth the view!
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
      Hey Kirk!

How is everything? We need to get out to this area.

Mike,

I started a list of mines that I've been to in this area. The list is at 42 including GPS locations. I have a few to add still and then I'll e-mail the list to you. I still have a dozen on my list to find and explore.

Mitch
      [COLOR="Blue"]I'll be looking for this e-mail Mitch.

There was another mine site just north/east of the dry lake - I can't remember the lake name, just north of Hecules's finger - There used to be a trailer out there. The road goes on up the side of the mountain. We didn't have time to check it out though.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

MK.... not to but in....the area you speak of has mines on the other side of Ord mtn. The cross cut roads you see near Ericson dry lake on the west side of Ord mtn. are drill hole pads. Go around the mtn. and you will see a trail leeding up to that area.

Comment

Kirk....I think you are talking about the "bluelight" mine....two brothers died in that mine of carbon monoxide poisoning. I used a stick to probe the mine floor in the water filled mine, I'm dumb....but not stupid!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]SO what is the liklyhood of too much carbon dioxide in the average mine. I know if there is rotting substances or someone builds a fire in a mine the CD can be high.

I usually look for dead explorers for a sign not to go any further LOL.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

I just sent 49 locations to you. That should keep you out of trouble for a while. As far as gases...Decaying, rotting wood in a damp mine would be a big red flag! Also an adit (Tunnel) that heads downward and has the enterence above the main body of the tunnel could be a problem unless there is air circulating. I've only been in a couple that the air got heavy and funky and I immediately did a you turn and left.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                [COLOR=blue]I'll be looking for this e-mail Mitch. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]There was another mine site just north/east of the dry lake - I can't remember the lake name, just north of Hecules's finger - There used to be a trailer out there. The road goes on up the side of the mountain. We didn't have time to check it out though.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]mk[/COLOR]

That sounds like the Tyler Valley area. The mine is high on the western slope of Ord mountian. It's full of water also.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Mitch,
                  We might just have to do that, as I am taking a job out there at Fort Irwin on NASA's site and will have nothing to do after work during the week.
                  Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
                    Kirk....I think you are talking about the "bluelight" mine....two brothers died in that mine of carbon monoxide poisoning. I used a stick to probe the mine floor in the water filled mine, I'm dumb....but not stupid!
                    I believe that was the mine, but not sure of COD. I thought the papers tagged it as a drowning, but I could be wrong, and that wouldnt be the first time. Always good to have a sturdy stick for probin floors and I would never think you were stupid...no no no!
                    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                      [COLOR="Blue"]SO what is the liklyhood of too much carbon dioxide in the average mine. I know if there is rotting substances or someone builds a fire in a mine the CD can be high.

I usually look for dead explorers for a sign not to go any further LOL.

mk[/COLOR]
                      Another kinda quick way to tell if the mine has breathable air is the temp of the mine. I have entered mines that within the first 20 feet the temp was extremely warm, not at the usual 68 degrees or so that a mine should be at and our meter was showing higher levels of carbon dioxide. Not sure what the warm air and carbon levels being higher have to do with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
                        Mitch,
                        We might just have to do that, as I am taking a job out there at Fort Irwin on NASA's site and will have nothing to do after work during the week.
                        Kirk,

If the you are going to work at Goldstone, I have a good friend & fellow Ham that works out there. He's a Jeeper through & through and really knows the Mojave Desert.
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Ham?

It's whats for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                            Kirk,

If the you are going to work at Goldstone, I have a good friend & fellow Ham that works out there. He's a Jeeper through & through and really knows the Mojave Desert.
                            Very good to know Roger. Does he work at Goldstone as well? I will have absolutely nothing to do after work, unless I find some part time night work to keep me occupied.
                            Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                              Ham?

It's whats for breakfast.
                              I thought bacon was for breakfast??

Comment

Why am I thinking "monoxide"? Is it dioxide that pools on the floor of a mine? What do rotting timbers give off? Either way it's not good for you. The "Gold belt" mine has got that "thick air" thing going on.....a tiny entrance and 900' of tunnel...scary.

Comment

Working...
                                X