Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Ord Mt Mines

My daughter and I got out of the snow for a few hours today. We visited some of the Ord Mountain mines. Not sure of their names, but it was some nice mine exploring.

MK

A little Bat hibernating.

The next 2 mines were full of water

Mike,

You are playing in my area now! The water filled mine says "Circle T Mine". We have not found any reference to this name. I've laughed at the camoflage trail work at the bottom. There are a couple of mule trails that go over the mountain to the east. There are several mines on the other side. Please let me know if you want to check out that area. I've been to over twenty mine there. I can work in a day off if needed.

Mitch

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]20 mines?? sounds interesting.
      mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

I need to make it sound interesting to get your attention! Maybe it is only 16 or 17. My passion for this is only second to yours. I hope that we can spur an interest in the history of this area before it is all gone and destroyed. Thanks for your inspiration.

Mitch

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Hopefully this area will stay open for a long time, even if the marines aquire the area to the east.[/COLOR]

Comment

This is my back yard so I need to go with you guys...
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

MK,were there a bunch of rocks pushed onto the trail leading up to the upper water filled mine? The circle t mine is really the "Painsville", last worked in the 40's I believe. You will find a very faint trail just above and to the left of the upper water filled mine,( maybe you found it) that will take you over the saddle and into Sweetwater canyon, lots of cool stuff down there!
              :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
                MK,were there a bunch of rocks pushed onto the trail leading up to the upper water filled mine? The circle t mine is really the "Painsville", last worked in the 40's I believe. You will find a very faint trail just above and to the left of the upper water filled mine,( maybe you found it) that will take you over the saddle and into Sweetwater canyon, lots of cool stuff down there!
                [COLOR="Blue"]The trail was wide open and in excellent condition - no road blocks. We hiked to the mine directly above the water mine - 100 yds - but it was a very shallow mine.

We were short on time, but would have liked to have hiked up to the saddle mine and into sweetwater area - maybe another time.

mk[/COLOR]

Comment

How big is the water filled mine?

When going through the mine is there always the ability to wade through the water and breathe when you're in it or are there places where the water goes all the way to the ceiling?

Assuming that this water comes from a spring, I wonder if there is an underwater cave system in the area.

I'm wondering if this is a place where one could explore further with scuba equipment. Of course, I'm assuming a diver properly trained in overhead environments. Without proper training it would be, in my opinion, unsafe and taking an unacceptable risk.

Christian
                  "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I think the water filled mine is caved in about 75' back or so...I waded in a few years ago.

Comment

The water thing is kind of strange way up there....But Sweetwater spring, and a well near it, is less than a mile away as crows fly.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                        Mike,

I need to make it sound interesting to get your attention! Maybe it is only 16 or 17. My passion for this is only second to yours. I hope that we can spur an interest in the history of this area before it is all gone and destroyed. Thanks for your inspiration.

Mitch
                        I couldn't agree with you more Mitch. The history of these areas and mines needs to be preserved for those interested in them, instead of some politician saying close it up. By the way, Hi Mitch, long time no talk.
                        Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
                          How big is the water filled mine?

When going through the mine is there always the ability to wade through the water and breathe when you're in it or are there places where the water goes all the way to the ceiling?

Assuming that this water comes from a spring, I wonder if there is an underwater cave system in the area.

I'm wondering if this is a place where one could explore further with scuba equipment. Of course, I'm assuming a diver properly trained in overhead environments. Without proper training it would be, in my opinion, unsafe and taking an unacceptable risk.

Christian
                          Just a quick note to your question of wading back into a mine filled with water, a handful of yrs ago a couple of guys did that very same thing in a mine in O.C. mountains, and they didnt survive it. There was a vertical shaft that they couldnt see and some how they drown. As a seasoned spalunker, my advice is dont attempt to cross water filled areas of mines.
                          Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Hey Kirk!

How is everything? We need to get out to this area.

Mike,

I started a list of mines that I've been to in this area. The list is at 42 including GPS locations. I have a few to add still and then I'll e-mail the list to you. I still have a dozen on my list to find and explore.

Mitch

Comment

Dave,

Correct as usual. The "Painsville" mine was first worked in 1931 according to the California Journal of Mines and was a producing Gold mine. At the entrance to the main tunnel (adit) is says "Circle T Mine" in spray paint. I will go back here if we take the easier trail that Mike drove.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                              X