Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shant here is some food for thought,
    number 1 when you just buy a vehicle drive it around for awhile before you take it offroad, to make sure it's reliable and all it's faults in regards to brakes, steering and how it runs are taken care of.
    For 1 after it stalled it should have had atleast 2 brake applications with assist, so it should not have rolled away ( kinda handy to make sure that the parking brakes work and hold the vehicle on a hill also)
    Would be nice to avoid vehicle fires, when it does happen, you did a good job of putting it out. You didn't freak, just cracked the hood and extinguished the fire through the crack of the hood. Now the important thing is to figure out what was the root cause of the fire.
    I would look at the transmission in your case. The coolant did not stink so the engine did not severely overheat. Was not a serious electrical short either since it still started and ran afterwards.

Point is check a new to you vehicle thoroughly before you take it offroad and carry a fire extinguisher in it, also preferably drive it around in all kinds of traffic for a couple of weeks so you know what needs attention before you head out to the sticks. Would have been a major bummer to cause a wild fire

Comment

Well put Art. I will take your advise. The fire started on a steep incline. Since the engine was bad, the oil spill through one of the valves and that's what(I Believe) caused the fire.

The XJ is out of commission until the engine is replaced and all functiones are checked.

Any spare fire extinguishers lying around????

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Glad everone had fun and thankfully nobody was hurt and Bash was fast with a fire extinguisher.

Just out of curiosity, did chilidipper wind up going on the run?

Christian
        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by headhunter View Post

Just out of curiosity, did chilidipper wind up going on the run?

Christian

Not sure. We ran across a group of ten Jeeps and a few were from MJR but I don't recall anyone introducing themselves ase chilidipper.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

If you met Joe you would know. Hell of a nice guy! :beer:
            An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
              If you met Joe you would know. Hell of a nice guy! :beer:
              Yes he is! And he's got an infectious enthusiasm for having fun!

I remember when we first met him with that big full size truck. It was nice! That truck looked like it should have been competing in a car show! So...he didn't have a Jeep and was so excited about the advantages of having one that he bought a couple of Jeeps within a month!

He wound up with a very nicely built one with a trailer.

I look foward to wheeling with him again in the near future.

Christian
              "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I think he is on Jeep three now. He got rid of the CJ. Now he has a nice TJ and a new JK.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                X