Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Rowher Run

So far here,s what,s up!! Joe (Schmo) and I are gonna meet on the Bouquet side at Big Oaks Lodge on Bouquet cyn.at 9.30 am on Sunday the 8th. We can grab a coffee or whatever there. The trail head on the Bouquet side is only a few minutes up the road on Bouquet cyn.road There is or used to be plenty of room to air down there..Then we,ll head up and come down to the Sierra side, should be a great time looking forward to seeing any changes that have occured since the fire over two years ago..Hope to see ya there.All are welcome..Geebo
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Sure will be nice to do some local wheeling. See you guys out there! Sounds like we'll be hitting the trail right around 10am. Once in a while Big Oaks will be a stop for the bikers on poker runs and such, so if the parking area to the side of the lodge is full of bikes, just keep going up the road to the trailhead.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I was looking for something to do Sunday, if you don't mind a tag along. I'm not familiar with this area. I'm trying to find this Big Oaks Lodge, but I don't think I'm finding it correctly on Google Maps. The difficulty says moderate, but how does it compare to something like Cleghorn or the likes. I know when the Forest Service calls something difficult, that means pretty easy as long as you have some big tires, so I can never tell what to expect. I'm running 35s with an Aussie locker in front if you think that will suffice.

-Slim

Comment

Originally posted by SantaAnaSlim View Post
        I was looking for something to do Sunday, if you don't mind a tag along. I'm not familiar with this area. I'm trying to find this Big Oaks Lodge, but I don't think I'm finding it correctly on Google Maps. The difficulty says moderate, but how does it compare to something like Cleghorn or the likes. I know when the Forest Service calls something difficult, that means pretty easy as long as you have some big tires, so I can never tell what to expect. I'm running 35s with an Aussie locker in front if you think that will suffice.

-Slim
        Come on out . . . I've attached the address below . . . just hook up with Bouquet Cyn in Valencia and stay on Bouquet Cyn thru Saugus and up the mountain . . . Big Oaks will be on the left and is the only open to the public type of thing up there so it's pretty hard to miss...look for motorcycles out front...if you hit the Reservoir you've gone too far, but if you do, the trailhead will be on your right hand side, there's a dirt area with the gate to the trail right across from reservoir

33101 Bouquet Canyon Road
        Santa Clarita, CA 91390

Comment

Count me in too. See you guys there.......

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
            33101 Bouquet Canyon Road
            Santa Clarita, CA 91390
            Google doesn't seem to like that address either, but I think I have a pretty good idea of the area from looking at the maps. From the other posts I've read, it could be a busy day at the trail head. I'll head out from Santa Ana around 7:30AM, Should put me in the area around 9:00AM. Is there a CB frequency you're using?

-Slim

Comment

We will be there.

Jeff & Robin

Comment

Well then, I guess it'll be easy to find each other. It'll be the yellow jeep crew:

Comment

Google doesn't seem to like that address either, but I think I have a pretty good idea of the area from looking at the maps. From the other posts I've read, it could be a busy day at the trail head. I'll head out from Santa Ana around 7:30AM, Should put me in the area around 9:00AM. Is there a CB frequency you're using?

-Slim
                  http://www.cavibigoaks.com/

Check out that site as they've got some basic directions . . . once you make it onto Bouquet Cyn it'll be hard for you to get lost. This is a steep but farily easy trail with plenty of places for people to pull over and let others by so it may be crowded, but hopefully not a sit and wait for an hour while they fix somebody who broke or got stuck and is blocking the trail. I might just go ahead and disconnect and air down at Big Oaks if it I see a bunch of 4x4's heading up the hill.

We'll be on Channel 29

Originally posted by RallyeX View Post
                  We will be there.

Jeff & Robin
                  Originally posted by the_al_mighty View Post
                  Count me in too. See you guys there.......
                  See you guys there!

Hey Slim . . . Looks like I've got a pics from that same spot . . . GM right?

And here's one of Geeb too
                  Last edited by Schmo; 11-05-09, 05:21 PM.

Comment

-Slim
                    Hey Slim,

I live in Garden Grove. Lets meet up in the morning and caravan together. Contact me at al_davidson@email.com if that sounds good to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                      ...This is a steep but fairly easy trail with plenty of places for people to pull over and let others by so it may be crowded, but hopefully not a sit and wait for an hour while they fix somebody who broke or got stuck and is blocking the trail....
                      Joe, that was how the trail USED TO BE. Because of the fire, let's be remember to Tread Lightly, stay on the trail, and avoid cutting new bypasses. On the Rowher Flats side of the old trail, it followed a ridge line, it was wide and you could easily pass a stalled or stuck vehicle, but on the Bouquet Canyon side of the old trail, there were "choke points" where a large group could get backed up as people worked their way through an obstacle and there were few bypasses. Because of the fire, I would hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.
                      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                      KI6MLU

Comment

x2 on that Russ I plan on going low and slow..like you mentioned not only the fires but alot of weather since the last time and most likely very little traffic!! So Russ are you going to be able to join us?
                        "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Is the trail open now? I went by there two weeks ago and the gate was still closed, I've been waiting for it to be opened again, it's been closed since the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Baja Sixer View Post
                            Is the trail open now? I went by there two weeks ago and the gate was still closed, I've been waiting for it to be opened again, it's been closed since the fire.
                            According to this thread, it should be open Sunday morning. I sure hope it does open and we're not all piled up at a locked gate.

See you all there.

-Slim

Comment

you guys have fun. Dunno why Schmo Joe took the bolt cutters from my shop. :confused:
                              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
                              X