Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Colorado Adventure

Tracy and I left Norco at 9am on Saturday July 25. Just North of Victorville the CHP had 10 units working with a cessna to pull over speeders. We had the cruise control set on 60 so no worries. Just past Daggett on I40 we were buzzed by two low flying military jets. We rolled onto the Coconino National Forest near Flagstaff at 5:30pm and found a spot for the night on forest road 9125 near Lockett Meadow. It rained for about a half hour.

Camp in the Coconino National Forest

Sunday July 26 we were back on the road at 6:30am. We stopped for breakfast about 9am in northern Arizona and saw an electric freight train pass by. We were at Four Corners by 2pm and in Durango Colorado by 4pm. We spent the night just outside Durango in Junction Meadow Campground. No rain today.

Junction Meadow Campground

Monday July 27 found us at the San Juan Public Lands Information Center in Durango at 8am getting maps and books and advice on camping areas. Back on Highway 550 we started climbing out of Durango. There are 2 passes between Durango and Silverton. Coal Bank Pass at 10,640' and Molas Pass at 10,910'. We drove through Silverton and found a place to camp on Mineral Creek. We set up camp, offloaded the Jeep and ran up to Clear Lake at 11,950'. Back down to the Mineral Creek Trail and we ran it all the way to the end. Back to camp at 6pm. We had just a bit of rain in the afternoon.

Clear Lake

Camp on Mineral Creek (we are less than 100' from the creek!)

Tuesday July 28 We left camp at 9am and took 110 to Gladstone. From there we headed up Hurricane Pass then over to California Pass and California Gulch. We had lunch back in camp and ran Red Mountain after lunch. It rained and hailed most of the afternoon.

California Pass looking down on Lake Como

Frisco Mill in California Gulch

Wednesday July 29 Tracy stayed in camp while I headed up to Ouray and met up with Russ Chung and his group of 10 rigs from jeepexpeditions.org. We started the morning on Yankee Boy Basin. After Yankee Boy Basin we headed over to Sidney Basin and then Governor Basin. I got back to camp at 6pm. It rained and hailed most of the afternoon.

On the way to Sneffels and Yankee Boy Basin

Me and Russ in Sidney Basin

Thursday July 30 we headed up Corkscrew Gulch to Corkscrew Pass. From here we headed up to Hurricane Pass Overlook and then back to camp for lunch. After lunch we got a space in the Silver Mountain RV park for the night. We did some laundry, got some groceries and got caught up on the web.

Red Mountain as seen from Hurricane Pass Trail

All the pics can be seen at http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Colorado%2009/

To be continued......
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Fantastic pics. I lived in CO for 4 years and loved every minute of it. Cant wait to see more!!
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Very cool Doug. Thanks for sharing. That mill is awesome.
      Check out .

Comment

Doug and Tracy,

Awesome photo's. Looks like another of those best trips ever. Doug, I was planning to PM you guy's today cause I hadn't seen any new trip pic's for awhile. Living the good life. Thank you for sharing.

Mitch

Comment

That looks like a great trip!

Thanks for posting about it.

Christian
          "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Awesome Pics and report Doug, Glad you had a wonderful time, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great pics and looks like a great trip. Another spot to add to my list of "must do" trips. Nice to see my buddy Russ is doing well.
              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Great pictures and details as usual. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Doug, seriously... how do you find the time???
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Great pictures and write up. Where's part 2?

Comment

Damn Doug! When you told me that you were HOPING to get out to Colorado soon I didn't realize that you meant ALL of it!

Great stuff. Looking forward to part 2 and then some....
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Great pictures. Gonna be in Silverton in a week and spend a week in the area. Really looking forward to the trip.
                      Rich

Comment

How long did it take to get to Colorado? Curious.

Comment

Awesome
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Nice pics

Hey Doug looks like a great trip.. Some day I would like to talk to you about your ZJ..

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                              How long did it take to get to Colorado? Curious.
                              the 3-4 times I've driven straight thru to the Telluride area: 12-14 hours; that included gas stops and quick lunch/potty stops.
                              I'd leave at 5am and arrive there by 6:30pm.
                              This was driving the Jeep and pulling the Bantam as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X