X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Hot Springs & Sushi!

HOTSPRINGS & SUSHI!
    Part 1

Most of my holiday weekend was taken up with other things but I really wanted to get out and explore some of the SBNF in the Jeep. So I asked Dirtman13 and Rat Patrol to join Sharon and I on a run up Grapevine Canyon and over to the Deep Creek Hot Springs for a soak. Afterward, we could make our way down to the Mojave River and then over to the Silverwood Grill for some sushi for dinner.

We met at Noon at High Road and Hwy 18. Dirtman13 and Rat Patrol had started their morning with a run up Gold Mtn, and then rolled down the mountain to meet us.

Heading up Grapevine Canyon:

A view back down the trail:

Rock outcrops at the top:

A lizard in the rocks:

After we reached the top of the canyon and crossed into the National Forest, we found a truly unique rock face:

At the junction of 4N16 and 3N14, we were surrounded by lots of plants in bloom. I found the thistles to be especially interesting:

We went back to Forest Road 3N59 off of 3N14:

We split off onto 3N59A to get to the Hot Springs and along the way found this watching us:

Okay... now the 'Hills have Eyes' effect is starting to kick in...
    But after that, we didn't run into any other strange carvings.

3N59A is not too tough, unless you are in a stock 4x4. Even so, there are several spots that need care to negotiate:

We had several views over the Cajon Pass along the way and snow was still visible on the back side of Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy):

We made it to the trailhead for the Deep Creek Hot Springs at about 3pm. It is a mild hike down to the springs, but it is a killer hike back up. Don't do this if you are not in moderately good shape!:

Near Deep Creek, there are two paths to choose from, I unknowingly choose the hard path. Rather than backtracking, we took the harder, but faster way down to the Creek:

The Hot Springs are amazing. These are the best hot springs that I have been to in SoCal. The springs have different pools with different heat. I do not have any photos from the area because the springs are clothing optional. Given the large number of people at the springs on the holiday weekend, it was difficult to get appropriate pics. I prefer to keep my posts G-rated.

We hiked below the hot springs to an area of rapids in the stream. The area was very beautiful:

To Be Continued....
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Hot Springs & Sushi - Part 2

As I was saying, the creek below the hot springs is quite beautiful:

There was a lot of life in and around the creek:

The hike back up the trail to the road was tough, but filled with wonderful views:

On the hike back up, we had the lucky chance of finding a Desert Rosy Boa on the trail. We waited for the rare creature to cross the path. After all, the natives always have the right of way:

To learn more about the Desert Rosy Boa, check out this site:
    http://www.californiaherps.com/snake....t.gracia.html

After getting back to the trailhead for the Hot Springs, we took the Jeeps and headed west towards the Mojave River:

Instead of taking the easy way down, we took a little-used BLM road. The trail was so steep that we took the time to check the path before committing to the journey. It was very clear that there was no turning back once we started:

We spotted a white cross raised in memorial down the side of the cliff:

Following the view down, we saw a white Jeep crumpled into a mess. This is a shot that is very zoomed in:

Based on this, the hill will forever be called 'Rest In Peace Hill' by me! This is not a road to be taken lightly. I am itching to try to tackle this beast Uphill!:

After a serious pucker-factor on the way down, it was nice to reach the tranquil Mojave River:

On the way out, we passed this family of ducks heading back to the nest for the evening:

At the paved road, we could look back and catch a view of the Rest In Peace Hill:

This was nice relaxing run until the exhilarating descent down Rest In Peace Hill. It was a great finish to a great day.

All of our pics can be found at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...-09/?start=all

[/COLOR]

Comment

Rest in Peace Hill

Mike if you look closer, you will see that the vehicle at the bottom of the hill is a Landcruiser. It went down I think around 94,95, not quite sure its been awhile. Story was that the driver had been drinking. not confirmed. Literaly tore the vehicle apart. Engine thrown out tranny, axles, everything ripped to pieces. Haven't been out that way in years.Kevin.

Comment

An absolutely awesome report and pics.

The hot springs are indeed an interesting place. Even more interesting is the "Ole Swimmin Hole" on Deep Creek. We need to make a trip there this summer!
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Thanks for the nice trip report and pictures. You guys sure had a great day.
          Rich

Comment

Mike, thanks again we had a great time. This hot springs are an interesting place. Would have be nice to spend some more time there taking pictures....of the water falls.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            We met at Noon at High Road and Hwy 18. Dirtman13 and Rat Patrol had started their morning with a run up Gold Mtn, and then rolled down the mountain to meet us.
            Oh, and for the record we drove down the mountain.
            Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
              Mike, thanks again we had a great time. This hot springs are an interesting place. Would have be nice to spend some more time there taking pictures....of the water falls.

Oh, and for the record we drove down the mountain.
              Boy that's a word, (Rolled) thats been getting used alot lately, Kevin.

Comment

Great report and pics Mike.
                Looks like a good time.

Scott

Comment

Great pics guys looks like fun
                  [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Nice pictures! Looks like you guys/girls had fun

Comment

awesome run report! sounds like a really good time... thanx for sharing
                      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                        Mike if you look closer, you will see that the vehicle at the bottom of the hill is a Landcruiser. It went down I think around 94,95, not quite sure its been awhile. Story was that the driver had been drinking. not confirmed. Literaly tore the vehicle apart. Engine thrown out tranny, axles, everything ripped to pieces. Haven't been out that way in years.Kevin.
                        I thought that it might have been a Landcruiser. It is so wadded up that it is hard to tell. That's a sad story about the driver. That hill is not a place to get careless.

It was a great trail run for us though, and the sushi at the end was a perfect cap off to the day!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                          An absolutely awesome report and pics.

The hot springs are indeed an interesting place. Even more interesting is the "Ole Swimmin Hole" on Deep Creek. We need to make a trip there this summer!
                          Sounds like a good adventure! Where is the "Ole Swimmin Hole"?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

Your reports always leave us with the feeling that we were there. You deffinately have a way with words. I have been on all of those trails, except for the steep hill. A great area to explore. There is a neat mine area with an old house off 4N16 near the campground.

Thanks for sharing.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Sounds like a good adventure! Where is the "Ole Swimmin Hole"?
                              Mike, thanks for the great report; I think Doug is referring to Devils Hole on Deep Creek at 3N34D:

The last time I was there, I was a little uneasy because of this critter who was in the area:

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                              KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                              X