Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
    Mike, thanks for the great report; I think Doug is referring to Devils Hole on Deep Creek at 3N34D:

The last time I was there, I was a little uneasy because of this critter who was in the area:

That area is nice! That's up here?

Comment

Mike, Incredible report with pics!

Comment

Great post Mike, thanks for sharing. Photos are the best, need to get to Deep Creek this year myself. Never been all the way to the hot springs because I always have my kids and have been told that it isn't kid friendly, any truth to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
          I think Doug is referring to Devils Hole on Deep Creek at 3N34D:
          Devil's Hole is nice. The Ole Swimmin Hole is spectacular.

3N34 to USFS trailhead 2W07 at Tent Peg Group Campground at N34 15.677 W117 06.099

Hike down 2W07 approx 1.5 miles to N34 15.103 W117 06.856 Find the trail that heads down the mountain (very steep) a few hundred yards.

The hike back to the Jeeps is all uphill with close to 800' gain. Bring lots of water.

Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Awesome trip report. Beautiful area and trails. Putting this one up near the top of my trips to do list.
            Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Another great run with great friends. After breakfast at Thelma's in Big Bear and a quick run through Gold Mountain we headed down the back side of the mountain to High St. and the 18 to meet Mike and Sharon. This wasn't before we stopped at the Valero in Lucerne to get gas and food. The entire mountain had no ATM or credit card service. We had to put together what cash we had to get enough water for us before we hit the trail. A little advice....make sure you bring cash on the runs with you. You never know.

I think this was probably the hardest obstacle for Mike all day.

The scenery was beautiful pretty much all day. Lots of color.

Then we found this carving of Kurt.

I can't explain how wonderful the hot springs were. I could spend the whole day there just taking pictures. Pools, waterfalls, and wildlife. Can't wait to go back and spend the day.

I only got one picture of the death decent because I was white knuckling the steering wheel. But I got a few when we hit level ground.

The rest are here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ngs/?start=all
              Last edited by dirtman13; 05-27-09, 06:04 AM.
              Check out .

Comment

So true about bringing cash. You never know with these little towns if there is going to be an ATM. I use a debit card because I don't like keeping cash on me other than 20 dollars, but I've started putting 40-50 bucks in my pocket just in case. I try to buy everything before I even get on the freeway so that if I come to areas where there are not alot of stores, etc, I only have to spend the cash on fuel.
                Last edited by ironbelle; 05-26-09, 06:58 PM.
                2004 TJ X
                Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

Nice pictures Chuck. I like the description "The Death Decent". I prefer 3N59A as a safer, but still very steep cliff hanger.

Mike, the tracks don't like Jeeps or cars.

Now is the best time to check out Devil's hole. The color and growth is fantastic this time of year. It gets rather bleak in the winter.

Devil's Hole Winter time

Devils Hole summer time

Comment

Let me think....

Most people who go to Deep Creek get naked there. Oh god, I don't want to even think..... Rat, Mike & Chuck naked... Yew!!
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
                      Great post Mike, thanks for sharing. Photos are the best, need to get to Deep Creek this year myself. Never been all the way to the hot springs because I always have my kids and have been told that it isn't kid friendly, any truth to this?
                      We saw a family with kids crossing the creek next to an older, totally naked gentleman (No, it wasn't Kurt!) standing in ankle deep water. I guess it depends on what you want to explain to your kids :wink:
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        Let me think....

Most people who go to Deep Creek get naked there. Oh god, I don't want to even think..... Rat, Mike & Chuck naked... Yew!!
                        Hey! My wife thinks I'm 'cute' naked. But, then she's supposed to tell me that. Our troup resisted the temptation to skinnydip. By far, most of the people there were in swim suits.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I got a photo of Mike departing the creek, his butt is ok...please delete if too mature oriented..

Last edited by scherf68; 05-26-09, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
                            I got a photo of Mike departing the creek, his butt is ok...please delete if too mature oriented..

:omg: Wait a minute! I didn't see you there, how'd you get that photo? :omg:

*:thumbs_up* Hey FishPOET! I REALLY want to find the Ole Swimmin Hole after those pics! Sharon just about had a heart attack when I described the climb back up to her. Is there a spot for a LifeFlight to land for her?

* * Mitch, I've only been to Devil's Hole in the winter. Looks like a summer trip needs to happen in the near future!

*:drool:* Chuck: Nice Pics! Your camera captures some great colors. The creek shots are wonderful.... and to think that I thought that you were over there zooming in on the old man by the creek! :censor:

Even though the trail was really not condusive to getting videos, I did get three vids that help to share the adventure. I wish I had been thinking to turn on the camera for the descent down R.I.P. Hill. But I mostly wanted to not end up like the Landcruiser!

I did get some basic footage of 3N59 as we wound our way over to 3N59A:

The Deep Creek was so cool with the rapids area below the springs that I shot a little vid of the water just for capturing the memory:

And last but not least, I got a vid of the Desert Rosy Boa crossing the hiking trail:

[/COLOR]

Comment

You guys and gals are getting some really great photos out of those fancy cameras. You'll have to teach the rest of us some tricks although I've found that practice is probably the best lesson. Well done!
                              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

[QUOTE=dirtman13;133201]Then we found this carving of Kurt.

Sorry I missed this the first time I read this. I 'bout spit my coffee all over my key board. Kurt's new avitar.

Comment

Working...
                                X