Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Need Help Planning BB Trip

Were planning a trip up to Big Bear and want some input from those that have had more experience camping up there. We need some help with these plans:
    • We want to run UP dishpan
    • We want to possibly head over to JB
    • We need a site that wont be too far away from dishpan and the majority of the fun trails
    • We need more suggestions on what trails we should wheel, maybe some out of the normal couple that everyone wheels but something that is fun. (difficulty doesnt matter)
    • Should we camp at a group site? a Campground? Yellow Post? (There will be about 8 rigs and about 20 people)

Thanks for any input

-BS Fab
    Last edited by swbooking; 05-11-09, 07:50 PM.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
    Were planning a trip up to Big Bear...
    • We want to run UP dishpan
    • We want to possibly head over to JB
    • We need a site that wont be too far away from dishpan and the majority of the fun trails
    • We need more suggestions on what trails we should wheel, maybe some out of the normal couple that everyone wheels but something that is fun. (difficulty doesnt matter)
    • Should we camp at a group site? a Campground? Yellow Post? (There will be about 8 rigs and about 20 people)

Thanks for any input

-BS Fab

Allen,

I am no expert on the area but have camped there alot and do love to run the BB trails...

Running UP Dishpan is great! But remember that for you to run "UP" it, you have to begin on the Arrowhead side...

When running "UP" Dishpan, it is about a 30 minute trail ride over to John Bull... great scenery and fun things to look at on the way.

There is a group campsite near Dishpan... If memory serves me correctly it is called Barton Flats... Fun part is, it is at the top of Dishpan (opposite end of where you want to start Dishpan) If driving time were of no consideration, I would recommend that you stay at Serrano campground on Big Bear Lake... Great conveniences like HOT SHOWERS!

Some other trails up that way you might to run are Gold Mountain (medium difficult but still black diamond) and perhaps Heartbreak Ridge (not really difficult but black diamond and very scenic)

Just my :2:
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Thanks for the reply Randy.

Yeah i know we have to start at the bottom of Cedar Glen... thats the part that is giving me trouble i guess. Ill just have to talk to everyone and see if they want to run down and up or something like that.

Ive done Gold Mountain quite a few times and pontiac/heartbreak as well. I was looking for maybe less traversed trails that are still black diamond. (Im pretty sure there are more up there just dont know of any off hand)

I did see Serano on the USFS website, it looked pretty good. We'll have to look into mapping out a route then.

Another question, does anyone have any maps with highlighted trail routes/directions?
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

hey Allen, ill be out there on saturday, see ya guys////Kevin

Comment

Head down to Horsethief Flat

Comment

Thanks for the reply Randy.

Yeah i know we have to start at the bottom of Cedar Glen... thats the part that is giving me trouble i guess. Ill just have to talk to everyone and see if they want to run down and up or something like that.

Ive done Gold Mountain quite a few times and pontiac/heartbreak as well. I was looking for maybe less traversed trails that are still black diamond. (Im pretty sure there are more up there just dont know of any off hand)

I did see Serano on the USFS website, it looked pretty good. We'll have to look into mapping out a route then.

Another question, does anyone have any maps with highlighted trail routes/directions?
            This help at all?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...actusflats.pdf

Might consider White Mountain (3N17)
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by xjkevin View Post
              hey Allen, ill be out there on saturday, see ya guys////Kevin
              Hell yeah man, havent seen you in a while. See you out there

Originally posted by karstic
              Head down to Horsethief Flat
              Nice, we might check that out. Heres a Dirtopia post on it:

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Horsethief_Flat_Trail

Originally posted by Old Fart
              This help at all?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...actusflats.pdf

Might consider White Mountain (3N17)
              Awesome, yeah that will help a bit. Ill have to look into a couple of those trails listed. Thanks Jeff.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I just wrote the Maintenance Plan for 3N03A (Horsethief), beautiful trail this time of year - (but windy)
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

yep better bring the xtra long tent stakes, its suppose to be very windy out there this weekend, guess im keepin the doors on...................call me before you guys leave so i can see where your gonna be sat morn..

Comment

As long as my GF isnt with me, I quit bringing the tent. The passenger seat of the XJ is perfect

Thanks for the heads up though ill let they guys know.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Me and Rollins drove down there the weekend of the NAXJA SoCal Fest. It was my first time down there. It's an out and back trail. I haven't been on JB in awhile, but I think Horsethief has a lot more pucker factor than any of the other trails in the BB area.

Comment

It can get your attention
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

Hell yeah man, havent seen you in a while. See you out there

Awesome, yeah that will help a bit. Ill have to look into a couple of those trails listed. Thanks Jeff.

The picture on Dirtopia of the Jeeps on Horse thief Flats is my jeep in front, Mike is taking the pictures. That was a great day! Awsome trail. ANytime you want to go see the back end of Horsetheif let me know. Bring your spare undies...
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

..and it's SO much more "exciting" from the passenger seat!
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                              The picture on Dirtopia of the Jeeps on Horse thief Flats is my jeep in front, Mike is taking the pictures. That was a great day! Awsome trail. ANytime you want to go see the back end of Horsetheif let me know. Bring your spare undies...
                              Kurt you know your always invited to wheel with us man.

Come out on Friday and camp with us. Or meet us up there this weekend. I know you know your way around the mountain.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X