Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
    [*]Should we camp at a group site? a Campground? Yellow Post? (There will be about 8 rigs and about 20 people)
    Allen,

There is a limit to the number of rigs and people allowed at a Yellow Post site; I believe it is two rigs and eight people, and they are first-come first-served. If your group likes noisy parties and likes running generators at night, then a group site is great, but they are pricey and on a weekend, the ones with water, showers and flush toilets probably won't be available; you would probably have to reserve one with no water and vault toilets. A regular campsite allows two vehicles and eight people per site.

The group site at the upper end of Dishpan is Tent Peg. It has a vault toilet, a parking area and some picnic tables. No water. The fee is $70 per night
    http://www.recreation.gov/campground...O&parkId=73960
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
      Another question, does anyone have any maps with highlighted trail routes/directions?
      Get the Sidekick maps of Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Area. They are available at the Adventure Center or by web order. About $3 each.

http://www.sidekickoffroad.com/
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
        Allen,

There is a limit to the number of rigs and people allowed at a Yellow Post site; I believe it is two rigs and eight people, and they are first-come first-served. If your group likes noisy parties and likes running generators at night, then a group site is great, but they are pricey and on a weekend, the ones with water, showers and flush toilets probably won't be available; you would probably have to reserve one with no water and vault toilets. A regular campsite allows two vehicles and eight people per site.

The group site at the upper end of Dishpan is Tent Peg. It has a vault toilet, a parking area and some picnic tables. No water. The fee is $70 per night
        http://www.recreation.gov/campground...O&parkId=73960
        Hey i camped at Tent Peg one time, it was actually pretty cool. Might have to look into going again.

Toilets and showers arent that much of a problem, between 10-12 people, the price shouldnt be too bad either. Thanks for the heads up Russ.

Damn... just looked and its reserved. I guess thats what we get for waiting till the last minute.
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
          The picture on Dirtopia of the Jeeps on Horse thief Flats is my jeep in front, Mike is taking the pictures. That was a great day! Awsome trail. ANytime you want to go see the back end of Horsetheif let me know. Bring your spare undies...
          ...and damn good brakes.

Comment

By any chance does anyone know of interesting BB-area trails NOT in the Wells book? Horsethief Flats is one. Any others? Or even good regions to explore?

A couple of us have two spare days before a group weekend and want to find things we've never done before. Basecamping north of Fawnskin, but willing to drive some.

Comment

Originally posted by WAM View Post
              By any chance does anyone know of interesting BB-area trails NOT in the Wells book? Horsethief Flats is one. Any others? Or even good regions to explore?

A couple of us have two spare days before a group weekend and want to find things we've never done before. Basecamping north of Fawnskin, but willing to drive some.
              On the north side of BB you've got Burnt Flat, Jacoby Canyon, Rattlesnake Canyon, Tip Top mountain, Pipes Canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                On the north side of BB you've got Burnt Flat, Jacoby Canyon, Rattlesnake Canyon, Tip Top mountain, Pipes Canyon.
                Hmmm, seems my reply got lost. Anyway, thanx, haven't been to Burnt Flat so it's on my do list. So does anyone else have some "trails less-travelled"?

Comment

How challenging do you want it to be? Clarks Grade is "doable" in a car with good ground clearance - but VERY scenic.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY
                  You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by WAM View Post

(thats a good 1000th post)
                    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                      How challenging do you want it to be? Clarks Grade is "doable" in a car with good ground clearance - but VERY scenic.
                      We've been running John Bull, H.Crk and Dishpan for years, so challenge isn't a limitation. But scenic is fine too. I've driven down the Clark switchbacks. Maybe we'll drive up this year.

We're just the "advance guard" for our clubs Memorial Day weekend run so have a couple early days to kill. We'll do all the classics on the weekend.

Wells must have done an excellent job. Practically everything suggested is in his book. I was just hoping the 'locals' had discovered additional trails or interesting areas.

Comment

Working...
                      X