Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Convoy to Moab information

I'm interested in getting a group together to convoy to Moab for the 5/22-5/30 trip. I figured it might be more fun and perhaps even a bit safer travelling in a group (multiple radar detectors are better than one).

My suggestions are as follows:
    • Meet at Flying J in Barstow @ 0800
    • Monitor and use CB channel 7
    • Depart Barstow @ ~0830-0900
    • Intermittent pitstops for food/fuel/elimination
    • Expect travel time around 11-12 hours (if Mapquest is right)

Now the big question is what day? The day of travel is basically a goner. I don't think departing earlier will allow for any more wheeling as I am sure everyone will be pretty sick of driving for the day.

If you are interested in joining the Missus and me for the trip to Moab, please chime in and be sure to state what day you'd like to leave.

I'll also put together a list of people who are "definites" for the caravan and add them the list here. Please remember if you are on the list and not at Flying J, we will be worrying and wondering about you. Call if you change your mind on the day of travel.

Definitely going:
    The Missus and Me

Possibles:
    qwiksilver: 5/22 AM at Flying J
    blkTJ: 5/22 AM at Flying J or pickup in Las Vegas
    Dukes69: Will probably pass in Rockies

Click map for driving directions
    Last edited by jmbrowning; 02-19-04, 03:16 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

I'll start by stating that we are amenable to leaving either Friday 5/21 or Saturday 5/22.
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

ummm...straight thru or stop somewhere in between?

We have reservations at Slickrock starting 5/23
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

this is an excellent idea. unfortunately I work second shift. my plan was to leave friday night and try and get to vegas. maybe barstow would be ok as well, maybe someplace in between.:confused: I was then going to make the rest of the trip saturday. It would be nice for those camping to arrive in moab with light to set up camp. we should try and be in town by 6.

let's see what we can work out here.

FYI, my reservations are for saturday the 22nd through saturday the 29th.

wheeling will start sunday morning the 23rd.

you know... last year... i think we left santa clarita at about 4:30am on saturday and made it to moab by 6pm. for what it's worth.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

FYI, for all that have not made the trip yet. It takes a solid 12 hours from the los Angeles area, providing you do some sembelance of the speed limit. That includes stops for gas/food/etc.

Brian, do NOT, I repeat DO NOT stop for the night in Baker. Been there, done that, won't do that again. I'll stop on the side of the freeway and sleep on the ground before I stay in Baker again. As you know, that is about the only place between Barstow and State Line.

It is about 100 miles longer, but a alternate route would be to take the 10 to the 17 (phoenix), then up the 191(?) to Moab. Last time I went, they had Cajone pass shut down, so I opted for the longer drive. Just something to keep in mind if there are any problems along the 15 (weather, etc). The drive is much nicer coming up from the south as well, it just takes a little longer.
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Directions to Barstow Flying J from Wilshire & Sunset

Comment

I believe Tammy and I are planning on leaving on the 22nd. For us it'll probably take closer to 13+ hours to get there. My Jeep only does 60mph. Unless someone dies and leaves me a sh!tpot of money and I get a tow rig, we'll be driving really slloooowww.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver

Not a bad drive for the morning.
                yeah... followed by 12 straight hours of hell.

seriously folks... can we try and get a bit futher friday for a more manageble trip on saturday???
                myJeeprocks.com

Comment

OK updated

Possibles:
                  blkTJ: 5/22 AM at Flying J or pickup in Las Vegas
                  Dukes69: Will probably pass in Rockies

The Missus makes a good point that leaving on a Friday night for Vegas is pretty much akin to idling there on account of the traffic.

Brian, perhaps we could meet up with you in Las Vegas ? Between 1100-1200? That would definitely give you enough time to put some cash down on the East Coast ponies. Las Vegas is 7.5 hours to Moab by Mapquest.
                  Last edited by sarah; 02-25-04, 03:47 PM.

Comment

fair enough. as time gets closer I'll figure out just how far I want to get on Friday. you guys will most likely catch up anyway... I drive slow.
                    myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                      I drive slow.
                      Good, I'll have someone to hang out with
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

If you want to avoid the Vegas crazyness (might be a good idea on a Friday night), Mesquite is also a good place to take a break. It's about 50 miles further out than Vegas from LA and right on the border of NV, AZ, and UT. It's kind of close to the half way mark of the trip.
                        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
                        X