Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Checking out mines

Headed out this morning to meet up with Scott (avjeepfreak),his father Dick and their friend JR, and also George (RedMonsterTruck) and his son. I've had an exhaust leak near the engine for awhile and it really let loose this morning. I made it to Apple Valley, met with Scott, then turned around to go home. As I went through Hesperia I passed a muffler shop and stopped to let them take a look. It ended up being a broken head pipe and 10 minutes and $60.00 later I was heading back to Lucerne. George called and couldn't make it cause his wife delivered a baby on Friday. So 2 YJ's and off we went. The 3 mine areas and 4 mine tunnels that we explored were all new to Scott, Dick, and JR so we took our time checking everything out. We had a couple of steep loose climbs mixed in with flat dirt roads like Camp Rock Road. Temps were around 60 with partly cloudy skies and in general a great day. 8 hours of driving without the top and some sun burn and it's all good.
    Thanks Scott, Dick, and JR! Dick thanks for the company while inthe passenger seat.

Mitch

Scott looking for gold!

Dick climbing in at the Double AA Mine

Ah, that 8x8 is bending, that's not good.

Back to the outside world

Hiking in the Double AA #2 mine. 240' deep with a resident bat!

Double AA #1 Mine tunnel

Scott playing in the rocks
    Last edited by Mitch; 03-01-09, 08:08 AM.

Nice Trip Mitch & Scott - thanks for asking me to go but alas I'm Jeepless. I feel so helpless & alone.... Kinda like a Stephen King book.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

And Mitch does the Double A no.1!!!! You know, that IS a shelf road!!!!! Pleasant canyon????????????????
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Hey, thank's Mitch, We had a blast today! My Dad and my Cousin JR were talking about the trip all night! They had such a good time. JR is from Indiana and had never been 4 Wheeling before! I think he's hooked! He said they don't have wheelin like that back home and He said that it was the best time he's had in a long time! I told him, "It looks like it's time for him to get a Jeep!" The day was perfect! Thank's again!

Mitch rounding the corner at AA Mine

My Jeep on the tailings pile

A bat hangin out

The Bat, flying through the mine!

Last edited by avjeepfreek; 03-01-09, 01:22 AM.
        "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Scott,

That was a great day for sure. The pictures of the bat came out awesome! Now I know why you were in the tunnel so long, I just that a troll grabed you.

Dave,

The upper trail to the upper Double AA #1 Mine is the last trail that I used to hike instead of drive. The list of I won't/can't do it trails is finished. I might have to do Circle T Mine trail one more time, but that scared the hell out of me the one and only time I drove it! See you this morning at the Shooting place. Pleasant Canyon, ah......NO!

Mitch
          Last edited by Mitch; 03-01-09, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Mitch,

Great report & pics! Thanx!

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
              ...The list of I won't/can't do it trails is finished...
              Mitch
              Old Dale Mine Time then???
              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Nick,

I went out today and was shown another pair that I missed before. So I guess I'm going to play in your back yard next. I really want to get out there and stay in Twentynine Palms area overnight so I can check out several things. Let me know when. I'm booked for a couple of weeks then you can bring it on!

Mitch

Comment

Dude! Those in-flight bat photos ROCK! Nice shots.
                  [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                  Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

Those shots of the flying bat that Scott took just really impressed me too. That's as good as it gets for an action photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                      Dude! Those in-flight bat photos ROCK! Nice shots.
                      I was so excited once I downloaded those to the computer, I didnt know if they would turn out or not, Mitch thought I got lost in there but I was crouched down trying to get a shot of him as he kept comming at me. He would fly in and his radar would hit me and he'd turn and go the other way and it was so dark I thought I would never get a good shot! Guess I got lucky!
                      "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Excellent Scott. The new post from today is all within 1 1/2 miles of where we ended up yesterday! That area is awesome!
                        Let me know when you are ready for more.

Mitch

Comment

Wow. Those are great shots of the bats.
                          Check out .

Comment

Working...
                          X