Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Snow Run

Going up to Big Bear Sundy, anybody interested? Any an all suggestions are welcome. Got some chains I want to try, Kevin.

Where do you plan on going? I'm doing a lot of work to my Jeep today and I might play "hooky" from church tomorrow.....
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

I was thinking of going to Jacoby? up the back way to Big Bear and winging it from there, what do you think? Could meet about 9am at the Chevron/Valermo gas station in Lucerne and go from there. Got a Jeep to work on, I'll check back later, Kevin.
      Last edited by 1 Bad F N Z; 12-27-08, 08:20 AM. Reason: adding info

Comment

I need to pass on Sunday's snow run. However, I'm off work until the 5th. Do you have any other day free?
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

wish i could Kevin

Ive got some chains I want to try too, but I have to work on my Jeep tomorrow. I have been putting her away wet too much... I found I was missing an upper control arm bolt on this evenings inspection, already replaced it but, got soo much other stuff to tighten up and maintain.... I'll take a Snow Check this time.
          Have fun, Best, Max7
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Kevin,
            I just saw this run. I'm buying a 1911 tomorrow and will be at the range all afternoon dialing it in. So I'll take a snow check as well... Be safe and Happy New Year.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

you still need a diff cover max?
              [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Snow run

Just got back from Big Bear. Took Holcomb Valley Trail by the dump. Didn't even make it to Baldwin mine. Snow was 2 feet deep in places. Went up HWY 38. Chains were required for vehicles with street tires. The roads were fairly clear. Traffic was nasty on Big Bear Blvd.. Temps while cool was pleasant.
                Have fun up there.

Comment

Well to my knowledge there will be seven of us going. Two Jeeps, and one Landcruiser. Kiwi and Calico Kid, Scott and I,and Chris, and Grand kids. Sounds like the chains will get a workout. Will be in Lucerne around 9, at the gas station. Will have camera, maybe Scott will be able to post them. Should be fun. Everybody is welcome, look for two Jeeps being led by the black and yellow quarter fender Landcruiser, Kevin.

Comment

Ahhh, the thrill of Victory, and the agony of defeat. The pride in sucess, and the humility of being towed home behind a Jeep. Today two Jeeps and a Landcruiser went to conquer Jacoby canyon. With my chains mounted, and 37 inch Swampers, I led the charge. Plowing thru snow at least two feet deep we cut a fresh trial thru virgin snow. Yeah baby, we were the first to cut the trail. ( Some perverse satisfaction in being the first).( To boldly go where others fear to tread.) Anyhow, enough of the B S, The Cruiser was eating this S--t up, and the chains were working great. Now these aren't your every day chains from Pep Boys, these are chains for diesel trucks, Big Rigs son, the Kings of the highway. These babies were cut down, and adapted to fit my Swampers. We're talking some serious links here, with cam locks to tighten them. The Cruiser singing at 4000 Rpm's, music to my ears. Soon we're at the halfway point, and I hit a 3 foot snow drift, so I back down and get another run at it, nope, got to try again, but I take my time backing down, conpacting the snow as I go. Off the Wife and I go again, and we can see the top, but again we spin out. So we back down again. We're on the final run and almost thru when I lose power, and the old girl starts popping back thru the carburetor, and no power. Now I don't know about you, but this is definitly not a good sign. I'm thinking, Donner party. But fortunately the old girl is still running, as long as I keep it below 1800 Rpm's. So we decide to get the hell out of there, but I don't have even half my normal power so I have to back down the trail. Scott and Wayne were able to turn around on the trail, but I have to back down till we find a flat spot. Well my wife mention something to me and we proceed to start backing down into the creek. Oh S--t, good thing I got the chains still on, to help us stop, or we would still be up there trying to get her back on her feet. Hooked a tree saver to a tree, hooked up the winch, that I've never used, and said a prayer that it would work. Hurray, it works, and were back on the trail. Talk about a pucker factor, tore the fabric out of the driver seat. Finally we find a flat spot to turn around, and at least we're heading in the right direction, forward. Well we still have a couple of hills to climb, and the old girl runs out of steam 2/3rd's of the way up. Scott hooks up to me and gives me a hand up. well we make it to the road and take a lunch break while we air up. I drove the Cruiser down the hill until we got to the homes just pass the cement plant. Dropped the drive shaft and hooked on to Scott's Jeep to be towed back home. Oh the shame!!! The humiliation!!!! Death before dishonor!!! Bad enough to have to be towed in, but by my own Son's Jeep, I'll never here the end of it. Anyhow for those who want to try Jacoby Canyon, just getting to where we had to quit will be a challenge after it freezes over tonight. But we had a good time, and it was a beautiful day in the mountains. I run a 350 chevy, so anybody has an idea as to what the problem is, any and all opinions are appreciated. Oh not many pictures, John took some, and he's going to link them to I8mud.com Extremely difficult for anybody to walk ahead on the trail,My dog Duke, Labrador, got high center in the snow, Kevin.

Comment

That sound like quite the adventure Kevin. I'm glad you got out alright and did not have to follow the Donner party tradition! Hope you get to the root of the problem soon.
                      Best, Max7
                      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Kevin,

I'm glad you made it back OK. I've run Jacoby a bunch of times and I can picture it buried in snow, and not being able to see the drop into the stream below, and..... I think a little snow could be fun but not over 2 feet! I'll check in a week or two.

Mitch

Comment

There is so much greif I want to give you, but I won't...
                          My first guess is that the timing chain slipped a tooth or two. The bowtie 350 tended to do that in earlier years.
                          So, any pictures of the hallowed event (jeep towing Toy)?

Glad you made it home Kevin
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

to check for timing chain play is fairly easy set the engine on the timing mark wathc the ignition rotor and rock the cranckshaft back and forth if it takes more than 10 degrees of crankshaft rotation to move the ignition rotor it has to much slop any more than 15degrees you are on your own. If it still runs check idle vacuum

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                              There is so much greif I want to give you, but I won't...
                              My first guess is that the timing chain slipped a tooth or two. The bowtie 350 tended to do that in earlier years.
                              So, any pictures of the hallowed event (jeep towing Toy)?

Glad you made it home Kevin
                              Hey Rat, yes I believe John got a picture of it. Said he would run a link to 18mud.com However according to John, it was a Cruiser pushing a Jeep. Hey at least I'm honest, Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                              X