Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear

Looking to check out the trails up there. May be four of us, or just me. Looking for someone who knows the area to be trail boss.
    Last edited by dtwitch; 05-05-08, 07:45 PM.
    "I am become death"

You might want to do the jeep jamboree that weekend or choose another weekend b/c it will be crowded.

Comment

First and foremost, Welcome to MJR!

If you are looking for moderate trails and want to avoid the Jamboree crowd, you could try a Cleghorn or Willow Creek area run.

I'm not sure if I will be able to join you that weekend - Sunday is definitely out - but I can share some thoughts on planning your adventure if you would like.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the offer Malachi. I was hoping to avoid the Jamboree crowd. What is the rating on those other trails? I think we may have one stocker in the group, but the others are lifted. We are open to anything, as long as its not too extreme.
        "I am become death"

Comment

id like to run some trail that weekend , how about rattle snake or cleghorn let me know what you come up with
          :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by dtwitch View Post
            Thanks for the offer Malachi. I was hoping to avoid the Jamboree crowd. What is the rating on those other trails? I think we may have one stocker in the group, but the others are lifted. We are open to anything, as long as its not too extreme.
            Cleghorn is rated Easy by the USFS, but the side trails are mostly Moderate with a couple or three Black Diamond spots. Anything spooky can be by-passed because the Easy fire road is the thread that holds all the side trails together.

The Willow Creek area has mostly Easy trails with one Moderate and three Black Diamond trails BUT the 3 Black Diamond trails are only rated that way for some single obstacles along the trails. I have driven all of them on 30" tires and open diffs. The scenery is less than impressive since the area burned in 2002.

Ray's suggestion of Rattlesnake Canyon is good too. The trail is remote and long. Plan for a full day and a trip home near dark. It is mostly easy to moderate, but it has some tough obstacles that are all optional. Nice scenery.

I can give directions to these areas if you like. I also recommend picking up the OHV map of the SBNF area from a Ranger Station. It's a great map but slightly out of date on trail ratings.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by cbrazor1 View Post
              id like to run some trail that weekend , how about rattle snake or cleghorn let me know what you come up with

If you guys run RattleSnake, be sure to post up as I'd love to join you if possible. Definitely a fun trail . . . I can't recall the other trials that we ran after RattleSnake when we went a few months ago, but it was a full day of wheelin' and one of my favorite trips.
              That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

They all sound good. I'll run it by the boys and see what they think. Anyone have a preference over the other? We plan on probably a day trip and we are driving from Orange County.
                "I am become death"

Comment

Originally posted by dtwitch View Post
                  They all sound good. I'll run it by the boys and see what they think. Anyone have a preference over the other? We plan on probably a day trip and we are driving from Orange County.
                  Out of the three mentioned, My personal favorites are Rattlesnake Cyn and Cleghorn.

Rattlesnake is more scenic, but further away from the OC. Rattlesnake is normally an all day commitment. The trail starts near the JV (Lucerne Valley) area and climbs to Hwy 38 near Big Bear City. It takes about 3 to 4 hours to run, but at least another hour is needed to get back to paved road if you go as straight as possible to it. If you run other trails in the area, plan on a full day of driving.

Cleghorn starts off of the 15 in the middle of the Cajon Pass and ends near Lake Silverwood on Hwy 138. On the hardest lines, it takes about 3 to 5 hours to run depending on spotters and experience. If you stick to the fire road, you can run it in an hour, but why drive from the OC for a fire road!

Post up what you are interested in running. I probably won't be able to make it, but you might get some company once you pick where you want to explore.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I'd be up for a Saturday run on the 17th through Rattlesnake, or this Sunday the 11th...

Cleghorn is good too, but I've already done it about 4 times this year, most recent being last sunday! I think I saw on the Jamboree's site that due to some of the forest closures, they will be using Cleghorn and 2N17X, so they will be busy. Not sure about Rattlesnake
                    Last edited by nwoods; 05-08-08, 07:08 PM.
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

id like to run rattlesnake on the 17th saterday as well we should get a run together

Comment

Originally posted by cbrazor1 View Post
                        id like to run rattlesnake on the 17th saterday as well we should get a run together
                        Yes, I meant 17th (fixed above). I'm in.
                        Want to meet in Yorba Linda, near the Inn & Out at Imperial/91? or out by the trail head off Lucerne Valley and the 247? Are you bringing your buddy that also lives nearby?

Here is a Google map with some coordinates:
                        http://tinyurl.com/yoogbq

Edit: Oops, getting my names crossed. You are no where near Yorba Linda. I assume you'd want to meet out there near the trail head then :-)

Let me talk to the wife, and then I'll post something under the Trips thread.

TreadLightly Trainer
                        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

yea i know a couple guys that will go im in colton

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                            I'd be up for a Saturday run on the 17th through Rattlesnake, or this Sunday the 11th...

Cleghorn is good too, but I've already done it about 4 times this year, most recent being last sunday! I think I saw on the Jamboree's site that due to some of the forest closures, they will be using Cleghorn and 2N17X, so they will be busy. Not sure about Rattlesnake
                            where did you see the info about Jamboree using Cleghorn? i was thinking about running it on the 24th, but forgot it is memorial day weekend and didn't know about Jamboree being in Big Bear this year.

Sounds like it's gonna be jammed up...

Comment

Originally posted by phant0omx View Post
                              where did you see the info about Jamboree using Cleghorn? i was thinking about running it on the 24th, but forgot it is memorial day weekend and didn't know about Jamboree being in Big Bear this year.

Sounds like it's gonna be jammed up...
                              I'm not sure now. I think I saw it here, but I'm unable to find it now:
                              http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/miva/...ategory_Code=E

TreadLightly Trainer
                              HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Working...
                              X