Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
    I used to be in IE4W....they do pretty well on Forest Fest. Don't kid yourself. They are very generous, for sure, but they put a lot in the bank, too.
    I was involved with that club before Victor valley. 98% of the members are nice folks. They do put on a kick ass raffle but WAY to much time sitting on the trail instead of running it.
    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by matt2001tj View Post
      I was involved with that club before Victor valley. 98% of the members are nice folks. They do put on a kick ass raffle but WAY to much time sitting on the trail instead of running it.

That is very true, and I made a couple true friends in that club that are still friends today.

It's that damn 2% that gets ya, though....

Anyway, enough on IE4W. They are a good club, and they do work VERY hard to put on a good event. For those that really do like going to events (and I know there's a bunch), it really is worth the time.
      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

If you're thinking of attending, send in your registration NOW

I just got back my confirmation; I'm number 199 (the registrations are capped at 250). I'm signed up for Devils Hole on Sat, Horsethief Flats on Sun.
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

I'm going...White Mountain trail on Saturday and Devil's Hole on Sunday.

Comment

Lockers?

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
            From my perspective, there is no point in paying to run trails that I can run for free the weekend before or after. The ONLY reason to go to an event like this is if you like the event atmosphere, and like the crowds and wheeling with people you don't know. And just because someone has lockers doesn't mean they can drive. Even WITH lockers those runs turn into all day events. Been there, done that, got the shirt.
            I here ya on this one! The atmosphere is great and it's fun running with people that you haven't ever run with before! and I'm not at all opposed to spending money to do it! but, I have run every one of these trails, more than once and "unlocked" and I've never had a bit of trouble with any of them. I don't think it's very fair of the host club's or of the event coordinators to single out the rigs that don't have lockers and make them run only the easiest trails! Besides, I've never been on any trail that a good pull from a winch didn't help even the most capable driver/rig....locked or not!! Just my:2:
            "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

fire closures
              the list of trails I have says White Mountain is closed, 3N17.
              Has that trail status changed >

Comment

Originally posted by jpflat2a View Post
                fire closures
                the list of trails I have says White Mountain is closed, 3N17.
                Has that trail status changed >
                We went to run White Mountain a couple weekends ago and yes, it is closed. Nice big gates at both ends.

Comment

as well as the road to North Peak ?

Comment

Back from another great Forest Fest! Awsome weather all weekend! Arrived on Friday around noon to find plenty of room to park, by the next AM the place was pretty packed. Wandered over to "tech", chatted with the guys and the over to the "midway" where the vendors set up was located. Seemed to be a good turn out of vendors lots of stuff on display.

IE4W was limiting the runs you could sign up for however it was a lucky day for me, a friends son could not make it, so he asked if I was interested in taking his runs. As usual, you bet! We started with the John Bull night run, I think 19 rigs showed up. I can say it was the longest I have ever stayed on JB, a Toyota broke a steering part early on, after the repair all went smooth with no other real trouble. After an early AM return I lined up for the Pilot Rock run, yes, my backyard however some friends wanted to run it since I tell them how good it is and they don't come off the mountain much, I like it since it is a long run, we were out most of the day. All was going well till the 3way hill (used to be three ways till it was blocked) VV4W smoothed the trail out and made the center of 3way climbable with the smaller tire jeeps, it used to have a real tough spot near the top, no more. The trail leader left it to the drivers discretion as to the "way" you wanted to go, Well, as it turned out, one of the last jeeps started to have a little trouble and got to spinning while going up the middle, the driver decided to back down and from there, things started going fast for the folks in the jeep. One thing led to another and before you knew it, the red jeep was rolling down the hill, and not on it's tires. A 14yo girl broke her arm, she was taken to the hospital for repairs and looked in good spirits later at the event. IE4W awarded her with an Ipod and MP3 for being a trooper, heck, I almost wished I was riding with them! The jeep was fixed up and driven back to camp, then on Sunday the owners drove it home.

Saturday evening brought the BBQ and raffle, great food and the raffle lasted for hours! (no, I didn't win anything!) Sunday AM we lined up for the Dishpan springs run, I did see and talk to Russ Chung in the next line over, not many MJR folks on site we noticed, chatted for a bit then took to the road. Dishpan used to be a tough trail and they say has the toughest obsticle in the forest-the wall. Now just a little bit of a trouble spot for "unlocked" jeeps while going "up the wall". It was a short fun trip with a lunch stop at the creek. Everyone had a great time and between "P-Ditty and Slim" we were laughing the whole time with the CB joking.

I sure can get used to hanging out in BB, I hated to go home, a very fun event, congrats to IE4W!

Comment

Double G, thanks for the report! Sounds like a good time, minus the broken arm. I hope everything is going to be ok with her. Hope to see you in Big Bear sometime soon - it's a super rockin place.
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

The weather at Big Bear this weekend could not have been nicer (although it did get a little chilly on Saturday night).
                        On Saturday, I was one of 22 rigs on the Devil's Hole trail run. We took Hwy 18 and 273 to the Lake Arrowhead dam where we aired down and and headed for Devil's Hole on Deep Creek:

The trail was fairly easy, but the trail leader showed us some optional obstacles:

We took our lunch break at Devil's Hole:

During lunch, we found a native resident of the area. We had lots of kids and dogs in our group, so we had to be careful to keep them from roaming around unsupervised.

After lunch, we took a different route to loop back to the trailhead near the Lake Arrowhead dam, aired up and returned to camp.

On Sunday, June 15, I was part of a group of 7 Jeeps that took the Horsethief Flats trail. We drove on Hwy 18 approximately 25 miles to Cactus Flat OHV area, where we aired down and headed down a very dusty trail to Horsethief Flats.

This is a view of Horsethief Flats from the trail:

The trail is eroded and is off-camber in places:

We stopped at the stream that runs along the east side of the flat:

Then we climbed the hill at the northeast corner of the flat for a view of the desert (Johnson Valley):

This is the trail leading into Horsethief Flats as seen from the hill:

There is a trail that leads from the hill down to the desert known as "Suicide Slide". This trail was not included in the SBNF Route Designation process, so it is officially an "unauthorized" route.

We returned the way we came in:

These pictures and a few more are here: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...4/BBFF%202008/
                        Last edited by Russ Chung; 06-16-08, 11:47 AM.
                        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                        KI6MLU

Comment

FEW PICS OF FOREST FEST
                          John Bull parking lot sat
                          few of me

my son having a great time

had a great weekend thanks to IE4W
                          Last edited by Dog Man; 06-16-08, 09:01 PM.

Comment

we met 2 groups from the fest coming up the Bull, we were coming down west to east when we had to pull over for about 30 vehicles, we stood on a rock and took pictures, while our boxers got petted by everyone, then we started down to finish. we saw the second group right there about 1/4 mile furthr and past them as they were doing lunch.
                            I can say the 4 door JK kicked butt up there, 2 inches of lift and 33s and it never complained, although I knocked the electronic sway bar discinnect and will have to take it into the dealer this week to get it to rehook up.
                            Was a blast though
                            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Great report and awesome pics!

I have yet to get up and run some trails there but I'm hoping make a trip within the next month or so.

Comment

I was up there tooo but I gotta say the sunday run was alot better, I was on white mountain sat and it took forever with 30 rigs. Sundays run on john bull only had 10 rigs including myself was a very fun trail but not hard enough, I wanted a bit of a challange but all and all it was fun!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X