Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bear Forest Fest XI

Is anyone going to participate in the Big Bear Forest Fest 10? I am. Hope to meet some of you there!
    Never the last trail!:cactus:

I'll be there, as always, should be a great time!

Comment

I'm curious to find out how they are going to run 250 rigs thru the trails when Holcomb Creek is closed and parts of the area they go thru for the Historical run are closed...

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
        I'm curious to find out how they are going to run 250 rigs thru the trails when Holcomb Creek is closed and parts of the area they go thru for the Historical run are closed...
        Julie,
        Here are the runs that are planned. AFAIK, all of these trails except Dishpan (3N34) and White Mountain (3N17) are outside the burn area. Dishpan has already been reopened. I guess IE4W expects White Mountain to be open by the time of the event:

John Bull Trail - (3N69 to 3N10) - rated Tough (Black) min 31" tires, Locker required
        Dishpan Springs - (3N34) - rated Tough (Black) min 31" tires, Locker required
        Gold Mountain Trail - (3N69) - rated easy (Green)
        Onyx Summit Trail - (2N61 to 2N70) - rated Moderate (Blue) 31" min tires, Locker required
        Devil's Hole - (3N34) rated Moderate (Blue) 31" min tires, Locker recommended
        White Mountain Trail - (3N17) - rated Tough (Black) min 31" tires, Locker required
        Pilot Rock - (2N17X) - rated Tough (Black) min 31" tires, Locker required - Saturday Only
        Cleghorn Ridge (2N47) - rated Moderate (Blue) Locker recommended - Saturday Only
        Rattlesnake Canyon - rated easy (Green) from Johnson Valley through Burns Canyon & on to Baldwin Lake
        Horse Thief Flats - (3N03A) - rated moderate (Blue) Locker recommended
        Historical Run - (always a surprise!) - rated easy (Green) - stock 4x4 readily accessible - Saturday Only
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

What's the deal with Forest Fest? I've never been . . . is it like the other big events I've heard of where they provide you with food, etc but it costs hundreds of dollars to attend?
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
            What's the deal with Forest Fest? I've never been . . . is it like the other big events I've heard of where they provide you with food, etc but it costs hundreds of dollars to attend?
            Yes. I just can't justify paying that kind of money to run trails I know like the back of my hand. But hey, it's an experience you may want to try one time.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
              Not really Joe, check the IE4W website, it's $55., not all your meals are provided like the jeep Jamboree however the driver gets a meal ticket for the BBQ. They also have a HUGE raffel, the biggest I have seen anywhere with good stuff! There will also be vendors there offering thier wares. The trail leaders are helpful and full of knowledge. Real good for wheelers of all types, lots of rigs to look at and lots of people to meet for future wheeling. It's a lot of fun especially if you are not up here all the time on the trails, like me!

Comment

http://www.ie4w.com/
                Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Last year I heard they had to cancel the food because there is a Vendor Agreement in place with Snow Summit for this little catering company to provide any and all food on the grounds. They got butt-hurt because IE4W was provoding food.

I agree, though...trying to get that many people though the trails is a real PITA, and it makes for a very crowded day on the trails. Even more so since they can't do Holcomb, and they stagger two runs through that trail in a day.

I'd just as soon save my $55 and use it to buy gas to drive up on a different weekend, camp, and wheel when there aren't so many people out there.
                  '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I hear, that plus I can't see paying and not being able to do JB and dishpan because Im not locked. been up there and done both more than once.
                    An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Some interesting comments!!?! Kurt can't justify paying $55 for the registration and $14 for the BBQ, even though 20% of the profits go to keep the trails open (although I wonder where the other 80% goes). The price of the BBQ seems reasonable, and I think the registration will cost about the same as the gas just to get up the hill and back home. Dan complains because he's not invited on certain runs since he doesn't have lockers, and Pete complains that the crowded runs are a PITA. Part of the reason for the locker requirement is so that they won't be such a PITA.

I guess someone likes the event because it has been sold out for the past two years.
                      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                      KI6MLU

Comment

80% goes to keeping IE4W one of the richest clubs in So Cal. They DO, however, donate 20% to Blue Ribbon and other interests. More power to 'em.

From my perspective, there is no point in paying to run trails that I can run for free the weekend before or after. The ONLY reason to go to an event like this is if you like the event atmosphere, and like the crowds and wheeling with people you don't know. And just because someone has lockers doesn't mean they can drive. Even WITH lockers those runs turn into all day events. Been there, done that, got the shirt.

However, if they are able to do dinner, it's pretty good. They do know how to cook. The raffle is pretty good, too. MUCH better than when they first started this thing.

I'll have better things to do that weekend, though, so I won't be going.
                        '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                          Some interesting comments!!?! Kurt can't justify paying $55 for the registration and $14 for the BBQ, even though 20% of the profits go to keep the trails open (although I wonder where the other 80% goes). The price of the BBQ seems reasonable, and I think the registration will cost about the same as the gas just to get up the hill and back home. Dan complains because he's not invited on certain runs since he doesn't have lockers, and Pete complains that the crowded runs are a PITA. Part of the reason for the locker requirement is so that they won't be such a PITA.

I guess someone likes the event because it has been sold out for the past two years.
                          Russ,
                          I pay plenty of money to Cal4heelers, BRC, put my hours in with AAT to help keep those trails open. The gas still costs the same if I pay a registration fee or not, and I can find good BBQ just about anywhere. The question was, "are jamborees worth the money"? I gave my two cents. Please don't make it sound like anything else. You of all people should know how I feel about Big Bear.
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

it's a take it or leave it thing guys, the big events put a voice to the silent wheeling that we do! it puts us on the map, I mean if these events did not happen (BB Forest Fest, HDR, Fun in the Desert, Tin Benders Jamboree, Easter Jeep Safari, TDS, Molina ghost Run and more... ) What would be the public voice of what we do? What does the media do a story on? who gathers money to keep the trails open? and what do the vendors donate prizes for?!

These grass-roots club organized events not only keep the clubs going strong, the promote the sport, they promote Tread Lightly, Cal 4 Wheel, Blue Ribbon... they let the vendors know there is a market for the parts, they let BLM and the Forest Service put a benchmark on trail use....

It's not like the media is in any way our friend here, they are not promoting what we do, Nobody in government would support us if we did not have such a head count and a voice...

These dusty buisy crowded events do that. they make some noise. They put us on the map. If you want to support the sport then you do. Some of us go to these events and some of us support the trails in other ways. And you can't go to alot of these things, they can burn you out....

And as far as the money that IE4W donates, that 20%, it is the lions share... When we do our organized event, the overhead eats up more that half of the "profits" check this: we have 6 polly johns, and that runs us $750- for the weekend! Remember that if they have food, they have overhead. if they have T-shirts and stickers, they have overhead! mailers, registration fees, park use fees, permits... and while we enjoy the trails, the club is at camp setting things up, getting the food going, getting the raffle organized, setting up the sound system...

:2:
                            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                              ...And as far as the money that IE4W donates, that 20%, it is the lions share...
                              :2:
                              I understand the benefits of organized events. I just won't go to them anymore.

But...

I used to be in IE4W....they do pretty well on Forest Fest. Don't kid yourself. They are very generous, for sure, but they put a lot in the bank, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X