Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pics and write up, Tiny Terror. Unfortunately, we were not able to continue behind you guys. The sad part is that after we came back down to meet back up with everyone else, the only ones that hung around were the ones that had made it partially up the hill. Ironic.

It looks like you guys had a great time. Did you get off the trail before dark?
    Last edited by Mike; 01-13-08, 10:03 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Yeah, we got off the trail pretty early actually. Still plenty of daylight left, but with a dead CB we couldn't find the group, so Double G and I went on back to where my jeep was then grabbed some dinner at a little Japanese place out in the middle of nowhere. Pretty good. I would have ordered sushi had they not had a fish tank, that makes me nervous

Comment

D@#% it! I wish we had pushed on when we were partially up the hill!

Oh well... Just means that we have to do it again soon.

I'm with you on the fish tank thing for a Sushi joint. Probably a good call. But if you are ever in the Silverwood Lake area, the Silverwood Grill is a good Sushi bar. You just have a hard time believing it when the closest reference points are Black Diamond trails!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Think that might have been where we were..... I dunno, it was dark by the time we made it there. Sounds familiar.... of course, I'd been up since three that morning, everything kinda turned blurry as the day wore on. It was a fun filled drive home

Comment

Originally posted by tiny terror View Post
            Think that might have been where we were..... I dunno, it was dark by the time we made it there. Sounds familiar.... of course, I'd been up since three that morning, everything kinda turned blurry as the day wore on. It was a fun filled drive home
            I hope that it wasn't the place because it would have put you very far from home. Plus, no fish tank at Silverwood Grill.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
              I hope that it wasn't the place because it would have put you very far from home. Plus, no fish tank at Silverwood Grill.

I'm telling you, I was half asleep on the way home Gene said he'd taken the group from Cleghorn to this place. Though maybe you might have been talking about that weekend. But dang it, that sounds so familiar....

Comment

Hi All, what a run! Sorry about the broken CB ant., the tree wanted it! we weally wanted to hook up with the rest of the group after but with no "como", no luck.

I have been over JB in the snow before, that was one reason I mentioned to have your winces in good working order! I used mine on a big fallen tree and was "lucky" enough not to use it on the Green monster! Just when I was ready to get it out, (and after 4 or 5 runs at it) the teeth grew and up the hard spots we went! It was a lot of fun, but lonely in the front!

The Sushi place is the one on 138, great place! Look forward to going again, how about Johnson valley next week, no snow to slide in!

Comment

The plan for our group was to meet at the dump at 10am. We arrived at Hwy 330 at 8am only to find brake lights all the way down the hill. We turned around and headed for Hwy 38. As we were approaching Highland Ave I saw Rat and a couple of other MJRers just entering Hwy 330.

The trip up 38 was "traffic free" and we were up the hill in 35 minutes. After picking up jc at her home in BB we headed for 3N16.

The North side of 3N16 was holding 12" of snow. As we continued on to Holcomb Valley the snow got thinner and the mud got thicker. We played around in the puddles near Wilbur's Grave.

We headed West on 3N12. Lunch was on 3N12 on Delamar Mtn.

We stopped for a pic of the locked gate at 2N84

When 3N12 ended at 3N14 the signs were in place indicating that 3N14 was closed to the North so we turned around. Once back at 3N16 we headed West towards Big Pine Flat. Pics of the burn area. The burn area starts on 3N16 approx 2 miles East of Big Pine Flat.

There was a search and rescue situation in progress and we had to turn around at Big Pine Flat. On the trip East on 3N16 we met up with Kevin who was on his way home via 3N16 to 3N14 and the desert.

Back at pavement at 4pm. Dinner at Maggio's. We stayed the night in Big Bear at jc's and headed home at 11am on Sunday. Traffic on Hwy 330 was heavy, but flowing. Tyler told me it took him 2 hours to get down Hwy 330 on Saturday from 6pm to 8pm.

I had wanted to try the new truck tires (M&S rated Goodyear G47RSS 245/70/19.5) in the snow and ice. They suck. We had to chain up the front to have traction on 3N12. Even so the rear was sliding all over and we had to get strapped twice. I'll be getting a set of chains for the rear before any more winter excursions. Only positive is that the chains fit both the truck and the Jeep.
                  Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by tiny terror View Post
                    I'm telling you, I was half asleep on the way home Gene said he'd taken the group from Cleghorn to this place. Though maybe you might have been talking about that weekend. But dang it, that sounds so familiar....
                    Okay. I guess it is the same place. I forgot that there is a fish tank by the cashier. But the sushi is good anyway....

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Double G View Post
                      Hi All, what a run! Sorry about the broken CB ant., the tree wanted it! we weally wanted to hook up with the rest of the group after but with no "como", no luck.

I have been over JB in the snow before, that was one reason I mentioned to have your winces in good working order! I used mine on a big fallen tree and was "lucky" enough not to use it on the Green monster! Just when I was ready to get it out, (and after 4 or 5 runs at it) the teeth grew and up the hard spots we went! It was a lot of fun, but lonely in the front!

The Sushi place is the one on 138, great place! Look forward to going again, how about Johnson valley next week, no snow to slide in!
                      Hey Gene, I really regret that those of us that wanted to keep going didn't try. Sounds like you had a good adventure. It was bad luck on the CB damage.

Well, it just means that we are going to have to do the run again! Come on snow! :thumbs_up

[/COLOR]

Comment

I'm in a meeting right now, bored to tears! Can't spend alot of time uplaoding, so here's a link to my pics:

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...%20Jan%202008/

The early morning sunrise at Malachi's

Some jalopy that got in front of me: damn thing flings mud all over the place!

Hmmmmm...

Am I not Turtley enough for you?

Andrew's slayin rocks

Gotta go. Enjoy!
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Yup, that was me.........The little 4 banger gave it all she had, but more HP were needed to get up that hill. Gravity got the better of my Jeep and stopped us cold--no pun intended.
                          I would have liked to find some more rocks-I wasn't sure where or when the second half of the group left-was it during lunch???

The snow was BEAUTIFUL!
                          Money pit!

Comment

Great stuff as usual Doug! Looks like you had a good time of your own. Good pics, also as usual, but THIS is NOT a puddle.

That would be a POND! Did you catch any fish worth bragging about?

That gate could have been there before, but I don't remember it. But then again, I never really took the time to look before:

And no matter what level of snow you have, that is just SAD. Fire BAD! Snow Good! Need More Snow!

Again, thanks for sharing your cool adventure. Looking forward to another run with you.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Doug,
                              That pic of the burn area is both awsome and sad. Tells a Hell of story. So you were coming down the 330 in Highland when we talked on the radio? I looked but didn't see you. Of course I was concentrating on getting one foot further up the road. It actually didn't take as long as you expect with kind of back up.
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X