Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Run! Gold Mtn & John Bull

Well, since we didn't run 3N06, I thought that I would start a different thread for the trail run that came from the original post.

Since the run was changed to a Gold Mtn to John Bull snow run, Rat Patrol and I traveled up 330 to meet everyone at Fawnskin. Traffic was bad, but the day was gorgeous:

When we all got to the trailhead, I counted 18 Jeeps ready for the climb. These photos capture most, but not everyone:

Additionally, we met up with 1BADFNZ at the top of Gold Mtn, for a total (by my count) of 19!

Dr. Dirty was the tailgunner and sliced a side wall on the way up Gold Mtn. The rest of us toured along slowly until I got stuck. I've been up this spot probably four or five times but his time, the wet tires and steep climb left Mr. Green idle:

My winch gets me out. Others do not have the same problem though:

Just a side note, Jeep Vigin's Jeep seems to have a slow tranformer effect to it. Every time I see his Jeep, it has changed slightly. This is what it looks like now:

Before we reached the Rock Garden, I managed to balance myself on both of my differentials and had to winch myself, again!:

As with last time, others do not have the same issue:

Okay... By now Dr. Dirty has caught up so I decided to stop fooling around and to pick better lines (what... don't you believe me?).

Going up the mountain, there were some great views of San Gorgonio:

In the Rock Garden, several folks took some tough lines. Dirtman13 got very tilty at one point:

But Kurt topped that:

We travelled on to 3N16 and helped a lady with a 2WD Dodge Durango to get unstuck while on our way to John Bull. We took 3N02 up to 3N10. The trail lead us to the Eastern entrance to John Bull. Double G was leading the pack and was first to plow through the mostly untouched snow:

Several made it up the first hill before the trail started getting packed and slick:

Some didn't make it:

...Others did:

The first few that made it up, continued on. Others made it part of the way and had to consider winching to continue:

But by this time the bottom of the trail had gotten very slick. These vids show the troubles that were being had:

At this point, several of us that made it partially up decided to go back down. The first part of the group continued on and we wished them luck:

Their's is the story that we all want to hear, so I hope that they will post up the rest of their adventure.

Back at the bottom, several folks made their goodbyes and went their separate ways. The small group that remained was Sharon and I in Mr. Green, Jeep Virgin, Max7, Rat Patrol, Dirtman13, and Dr. Dirty (who despite his name, still had the cleanest Jeep).

We headed over to Jacoby Canyon (3N61) and found a play area on the way down:

Once we got to the 18, Jeep Virgin headed back up the canyon to let his kids play in the snow and the rest of us headed over to Silver Peak. My map said that the trail to Silver Peak was 3N63, but the Forest Service has clearly marked the trail as 3N36:

Dyslectic Cartographers?

The trail was a fairly easy 2WD drive run despite it's Moderate reputation. The trail has excellent views:

We made it to the top before sunset:

At the top, there is a short mine shaft;

But the best reason to go is for the views:

All of my pics can be seen at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...12-08/?start=0
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Thanks. I sooo wanted to make this trip. Life and work precludes any fun in my life this time of the year. So, I wheel you people in heart.

Comment

Sweet pics, bummed I missed the trip even though I just ran it a few weeks ago. Did you guys do some jeep skiing coming down the other side of gold mountain?
      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Looks like a great snow trip! Hope that everyone had a bunch of fun up there. Nice photo's Mike, thanks for the report.

Comment

What a fun day. Drove all night from Utah then home and within an hour the wife and I were heading to G M. Went from Hesperia to Holchom Valley in just over an hour.Manage to catch some air, with all Four wheels off the ground on the way up. Got Max on the CB, and headed over to Gold Mountain to meet the group. When we got to the north side of G M, I notice that the snow was fresh, and couldn't resist the urge to give it a try. Taching 5 grand and plowing our way thru the snow, trying to drive and stay on the trail, the wife and I made our way to the top of G M. What a blast, to be sitting at the top waiting for the group.Sure was good to see everybody again. Scott managed to bend one of his rear shocks while trying to get up John Bull. Rough ride home, but I had a set of 9000's, and that took care of his problem. I always say that if you have something that can't be broken, you haven't met my son. Kevin.

Comment

Great pics and report, as always, Mike! That pic of Kurt getting tipsy made me pucker . . . I can only imagine how it felt from the driver's seat!
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
              Great pics and report, as always, Mike! That pic of Kurt getting tipsy made me pucker . . . I can only imagine how it felt from the driver's seat!
              Pucker ! He intentionally drove on that rock ! He loves that stuff.It did look pretty bad from the top of the mountain.
              moon buggy
              5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

looks like you guy shad tons of fun!

Stuart! your jeep looks pretty bad A$$! is it still street legal? and where the hell is your thread on all the cool stuff you put into it? Half the fun is telling everyone what you did to it!
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Glad to hear everything went well! I knew from the second we hit snow on the way up to bear mountain you guys were gonna be having way to much fun!!!

Great pictures too!
                    02' TJ 4.0 5 speed, Atlas II transfer case, 4.5 RE, 33" BFG, Dana 44 Rear, Detroit front/rear

Comment

Another great trip! After meeting at the fire station in Fawnskin we headed for the trail head only to find a large collections of Jeeps already there waiting to hit the trail. At one time I think I counted 22 Jeeps.
                      After a quick tire change on dr.dirty’s limo we stopped on the way to the top to check out the great view of Big Bear.

Making our way up Gold Mountain I was really wishing it had snowed Wednesday like was predicted. A lot of mud and water holes but I wanted snow trails. With 22 Jeeps it’s going to take a while to get up the trail. About half way we stopped to watch Mike was trying out his winch.

Then no much longer after that, it began. Patience is a virtue.

Then we crossed the rock quarry. Didn’t get to many pics here because we were in the back.

Max, making his way through the winding trails.

After Gold Mountain we turned on to 3N16 heading for John Bull and we hit traffic (this is California).

The kids didn’t seem to mind.

Then we get to the first climb of John Bull and I was beginning to be thankful it didn’t snow on Wednesday.

MJR to the rescue.

The first climb turned out to be pretty challenging. After watching some make it and some not it was time for me to give it a try. After trying about 5 times with no success I backed down to give others a chance. Scott was debating but decided to give it a go. One try and he was up. What’s funny about that is his spare that he changed earlier was a truck street tire. I think I’m going to get me some of those. After that I was determined to get up that hill, so off I went again. I made it about half way and decided it was time for chains. I was under the Jeep in the snow and I hear on the CB, “Were coming down”.

After gathering at the bottom several others left but some of us weren’t done. The remainder of us made our way to Jacoby Canyon 3N61. Once we got to the 18 we decided to take 3N36 up to Silver Peak. This was a very easy fire road to the top but worth the drive for the views.
                      Looking toward Big Bear.

Looking towards Lucerne.

Mine shaft at the top.

The rest of my pics are here.
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-12/?start=all
                      Check out .

Comment

Stuart! your jeep looks pretty bad A$$! is it still street legal? and where the hell is your thread on all the cool stuff you put into it? Half the fun is telling everyone what you did to it![/QUOTE]

It is probally not street legal anymore, but it looks cool !!! Sorry about not posting my build but ther woudl probally be alot of bad word on it. It was a pain in the a$$. I made some good mistakes and most importantly learned alot. It is a work in progress and am still learning how this thing works. I really enjoy cutting my 30K jeep up !!!! You only live once !! I do hve pictures of what i was doing that one day i will post. There will be more stuff coming !!!
                        moon buggy
                        5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Well, I was in the group that made it up JohnBull. Being the lead jeep just riding was a new experience for me, but it was interesting staring at untouched snow. This is the base of JohnBull....

Double G pinballed his way his way up ripping off his CB antenna in the process. We got so far up using momentum and bouncing back and forth on the rocks. Unfortunately no one saw Double G hit a large rock so fast that we went sideways in a matter of seconds. I could have touched the ground outside the window if I hadn't been leaning over on Gene as far as I could (you know that saves you from being smashed).

At the last turn almost to the top, we came to a halt. There was just too much snow and ice. We took about four or five good hard runs at it geting farther each time. Just as we were getting ready to break out the winch, the tires got teeth and we shot to the top.

We didn't just continue on at the top of the first rock climb however....

On the far side of the tree we were met with a pair of jeeps on their way down. When we saw the tree as we were speeding (ok, it wasn't speeding) up the hill we both exclaimed "Well Good Golly" or something close to that .

We waited at the top for quite a while and I climbed down quite a ways to try and find if anyone was coming. I couldn't even hear tires or screams of pain, so I climbed back up and we waited. Only three others made their way to the top and it was smooth sailing from then on.

At the end, we found a giant area of ice and proceeded to see if we could draw a circle on it with our tires. It was great fun. Then we headed out. Not being able to raise anyone on our broken CB and unable to convince anyone else to wheel on, Gene and I headed back to pick up my jeep and grab some dinner.

(Oh, and the group of Jeeps that was waiting at GoldMountain, was actually there with the MJR group)

Comment

Great write up and pic's!! Wish I could have made it...maybe next time

Comment

Originally posted by tiny terror View Post
                              We waited at the top for quite a while and I climbed down quite a ways to try and find if anyone was coming. I couldn't even hear tires or screams of pain, so I climbed back up and we waited. Only three others made their way to the top and it was smooth sailing from then on.
                              I had a hunch that it was "smooth sailing" after that obstacle, A few of us made it up the pinball climb then waited for our turn at that stuborn obstacle, next time I'm going to twist arms harder. Well... we still had a good time, but I'd like a chance at trying J.B. again in the same conditions. How about the Gold Moutain down hill icy "Ski Run" Holy Cow...I'm sure its all more fun in fresh powder! Pics to come.
                              Best, Max7
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X