Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm SO in.

My only question is where are we meeting?

Comment

What would be a good local SoCal trail as a warm up for Rubicon? I have a rig that will do it, and I have a fair amount of off roading background, but not in this rig....
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
        What would be a good local SoCal trail as a warm up for Rubicon? I have a rig that will do it, and I have a fair amount of off roading background, but not in this rig....
        Nothing really compares.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

try john bull in big bear
          92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Try Bronco Peak in San Diego's Corral Canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by paultyler View Post
              Should be a piece of cake with my new rig, a stock Land Rover can get through John Bull. I think we were talking about doing the Bull on 6/1?

Is it too late in the season (too hot) for Calico? I've done one portion of the loop in my LR3 (the part after the gatekeeper and then up to the mines at the top of the trail).

I've always wanted to do the Rubicon, and now I have a rig truly capable of doing it, but I am not as sure about myself in this rig quite yet. I have an ambitious wheeling schedule in the next few months, hopefully I'll be mentally ready.
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Should be a piece of cake with my new rig, a stock Land Rover can get through John Bull. I think we were talking about doing the Bull on 6/1?
                I haven't been on the Rubicon yet. I hope to make this trip though. But I have been on both John Bull and Bronco Peak. In comparison, you need to try to run Bronco Peak some time soon. Make sure that you take the back side of the Peak. It is not the hardest trail that I have been on but it is harder than John Bull.

Rat Patrol compared the feel of Sherman Peak trail to the Rubicon. If so, I can't wait to explore the trail! Sherman Peak has some great areas.
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by paultyler View Post
                  It isn't even close. We have taken completely stock vehicles through there without any trouble. You do that on the rubicon and you won't have any straight sheet metal.
                  Last edited by igofshn; 04-29-08, 06:18 AM.

Comment

It isn't that the rubicon is so hard, it is obstacle after obstacle. It just doesn't let up. The constant flex is what gets people. You have to concentrate the entire time. If you have trouble then listen to the spotters. We always spot over the harder sections.

Comment

You can get your rig and yourself ready for the Rubicon, with this http://www.4x4training.com/. Tom gives Rubicon ready classes, and on the rocks driving to get you ready for the Rubicon.
                      06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Nwoods,
                        Don't sweat the Rubicon. Everyone tells you it's really hard, one obstacle after another. It is a technical trail, but if you go with us you'll be well cared for and you'll have a great time. I'll spot you through anything you that you don't feel comfortable doing on your own. You'll be suprised how easy a time your rig has on that trail. A stock Toyota 4 runner made it through with a broken shock and some minor sheet metal damage. Breakage is definitely a possibility, but then, that could happen anywhere. You'll see stock Rubi's, TJs, Rhinos, dirt bikes, all kinds of rigs on the trail. The only thing I insist on is having as much in the way of spares as you can; tie rods, ball joints, u-joints, fluids and the tools to replace them if needed. If you do break on the Rubi, you're a long way from help and have to be able to drag your junk off the trail. With help, of course...

Rat
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

do most people trailer there rigs or drive them up there?
                          If you don't like the way I drive, stay off of Kurts foot!

Comment

Both. I will be flat towing my Samurai but I used to drive my TJ up there.

Comment

The Rubicon isn't that tough. When I ran it I had a 4" lift, 31's (closer to 30's) and a rear locker (D35) and had no problems. I had also just installed a SYE thereby getting that skid up higher and this was huge. I was dragging the skid on a lot of rocks but never got hung up. The newly installed rocker guards were also a plus as they were worked over pretty hard. Here's a picture of the YJ back then half way up Cadilac Hill.

'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

I'm starting a new thread in the trail run section with the following dates 18-20 July. This will be for anyone that wants to run this on a weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X