Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am grateful to all who give their time to preserve off-highway access.

Off-highway recreation on public land is not a right, it is a privilege. Your off-highway recreation privilages are protected by the (too) few who participate in the process.

Public land does not belong to YOU, nor does it belong to ME. It belongs to US, which means we have to share.

The important things most of us already do include volunteering to maintain trails, being a good steward of the lands we play on, cleaning up after ourselves and others, and respecting closed areas regardless of how wrong we feel it is.

We all can and need to do more. We need to write our government representatives at all levels and tell them our concerns. We need to show up at the many hearings regarding land use and deliver our comments.

Land managers tend to manage by closure if they don't have resources to patrol and enforce. Consider giving up a weekend a month to your local forest or BLM area's volunteer patrols.

Managing by lawsuit is a wasteful method which works well for the very organized anti-access groups. Consider giving to pro-access groups which fight for your access, such as Blue Ribbon Coalition, CORVA, CA4WDC. Lawsuits are expensive. Give generously.

Don't be a jerk. Try to understand the concerns of the anti-access folks, instead of just demonizing them. As soon as the mudslinging starts, our credibility sinks. By understanding their concerns, you can explain how we are taking steps to address them at hearings and in letters to your congress person.

If your club is hosting an off-road event, invite the media, and take pains to show them how we are using the land responsibly. Our story should be that we are environmentalists as well.

Be a role model, not a whiner. Whining is like rocking in a chair -- it's something to do, but it gets you nowhere.

Comment

Permanent closures are not a management tool. PERIOD.

Endangered Species have more rights than you and I.
      The Endangered Species Act now encompasses animals, plants and insects.
      It is way past time to revamp the Endangered Species Act.

Enviro-nazi's use frivolous lawsuits to scare politicians and government employees into closing motorized recreation areas and enlarging wilderness areas.

Off roaders have to date NEVER used a lawsuit to re-open a closed motorized recreation area.

There is no working with the Sierra Club or the Center for Biological Diversity. They want all motorized recreation abolished. PERIOD. There is no middle ground with these organizations. Do not be fooled.

I have volunteered over 3500 hours in my life to trail maintenance and to organizations involved with maintaining motorized recreation. I have earned the right to speak my mind about eco-terrorists spouting false propaganda and closing motorized recreation areas at an alarming rate.

Learn more about our failed OHVMR Commission.

http://www.corva.org/Latest_Issues/2...l%20OHVMR.html

http://www.corva.org/Latest_Issues/OHV%20Audit.html

http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/P...t_12-14-05.pdf

http://www.orba.biz/Dart%20letter%20...Commission.pdf

http://www.cal4wheel.com/nrc/south2-06.htm

http://www.swvoice.com/home/ViewPost/8177
      Last edited by FishPOET; 01-25-07, 07:27 PM.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
        Permanent closures are not a management tool. PERIOD.
        Unfortunately, land managers frequently disagree.

Endangered Species have more rights than you and I.
        The Endangered Species Act now encompasses animals, plants and insects.
        It is way past time to revamp the Endangered Species Act.
        I agree. Lets get our printers going with letters to the editor, our representatives, candiates for public office, district supervisors...

Enviro-nazi's use frivolous lawsuits to scare politicians and government employees into closing motorized recreation areas and enlarging wilderness areas.
        Marginalizing language like that brings to mind -- oh never mind... Lets just agree that it leaves a less than favorable impression when used in a persuasive arguement.

Off roaders have to date NEVER used a lawsuit to re-open a closed motorized recreation area.
        Sounds like we keep showing up to the gunfight armed with only a knife, ya think?

However, groups like BRC and CORVA do lobby, file motions, bring experts to testify. The money we donate funds their work.

This is a battle which will be won by lawyers in courtrooms and in public office. Lawyers are more expensive than Jeep parts. The anti-access groups outspend us hugely.

There is no working with the Sierra Club or the Center for Biological Diversity. They want all motorized recreation abolished. PERIOD. There is no middle ground with these organizations. Do not be fooled.
        We don't need to work with them. We need to impress upon the policy makers -- with numbers which represent our expanding group -- that we are aware of what they feel are problems, and explain how we deal with it to minimize the problem.

Anti-access attendees outnumber access attendees more than 10:1 at hearings and open houses. In the eyes of the policy makers, we exist in such a small, apathetic number that the easy decision is closure.

I have volunteered over 3500 hours in my life to trail maintenance and to organizations involved with maintaining motorized recreation. I have earned the right to speak my mind about eco-terrorists spouting false propaganda and closing motorized recreation areas at an alarming rate.
        I salute you. And always will, at least until you give up.

Comment

Again, as Devil's advocate:

We are all part of a giant ecosystem called Earth. Every creature, plant, mineral, etc in some way is linked together. People have managed so far to kill off thousands of species of animals and plants. At what point do we finally kill the last one that makes this planet sustainable? Who gets to decide what is worth saving and what is not? Isn't the key figuring out a way to manage things so we all have a piece? Extreme langauge and name calling lends itself to the attitude of "they're stupid, my side's right, they're after us" etc and creates an atmosphere of rigity, where no one looks for compromise.
          Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

I don't have much $$$ but whatever group looks like the strongest and has the best chance of putting my hard earned $$ to work on this will get it. I'll attend as many meetings as I can, and continue to due my volunteer work on the trails. Tell me what else I can do to help and I will bust butt to get it done.

Rat
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Safari

This thread is all over the place. I started it to let everyone know that the Event was in jepordy. We are working within the rules. The majority of the hell raisers are not part of the event. It is part of public land and we can't prevent them from being there. One could reason that our event has attracted that type of crowd. Truckhaven was purchased to expand the current SVRA Area as attendance has increased and more space was needed. The CDB have their reason for doing what they do and it does not agree with what we do. Support those who are working to keep access to Public Land open be it Tierra Del Sol, Corva, American Sand Assoc., BRC etc.
              George
              Last edited by TDS SD; 01-26-07, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TDS SD View Post
                This thread is all over the place. I started it to let everyone know that the Event was in jepordy. We are working within the rules. The majority of the hell raisers are not part of the event. It is part of public land and we can't prevent them from being there. One could reason that our event has attracted that type of crowd. Truckhaven was purchased to expand the current SVRA Area as attendance has increased and more space was needed. The CDB have their reason for doing what they do and it does not agree with what we do. Support those who are working to keep access to Public Land open be it Tierra Del Sol, Corva, American Sand Assoc., BRC etc.
                George
                Well said G!
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Jeri Lyn View Post
                  I am an off roader and an environmentalist, and I don't consider that an oxymoron.
                  I am an off roader and I am not an environmentalist.

I tread lightly and stay on trails unless it is open area and I respect official closures. I always take out more trash than I bring in. I help maintain trails and I am a life member of CA4WD and CORVA and a member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition, but I am not an environmentalist.

I am more important than any plant, animal, rodent or insect that may perish as a result of my home. I choose to use pesticides to keep insects and rodents out of my home and weeds off my property. An environmentalist would live in harmony with nature and welcome plants, weeds, animals, rodents and insects to share their home.

An environmentalist would never send any trash to the local landfill. An environmentalist would recycle 100% of all paper, plastic, metal, cloth and wood products. An environmentalist would bury whatever trash they create on their own property. I recycle what I can, but I am not concerned with what happens to my trash after I send to the local landfill or what plants, animals or insects die at the landfill as a result of my trash or how much pollution the trash truck or landfill dozers produce. I enjoy the cleanliness, safety and ease of our landfill system of waste management.

I am not concerned what happens after I flush. I know that treatment plants use chemicals and my waste ends up in our oceans. I enjoy the cleanliness, safety and ease of our modern sewer system. An environmentalist would only use a septic/leech system (that never gets pumped) and would only use biodegradable detergents.

I am not concerned with the living conditions of my food before it reaches my table. I enjoy the cleanliness, safety and ease of buying fresh food at the local market. An environmentalist would only eat what they grew or raised on their own property. An environmentalist would never advocate the use of greenhouse gas spewing fossil fuel vehicles to deliver food from the growers to the local markets. An environmentalist would never use pesticides on their home grown vegetables.

I enjoy having electricity pumped into my house. I am not concerned with how much pollution our electricity generating plants produce. An environmentalist would only use renewable energy sources (solar and wind) on their own property.

I enjoy automobiles and driving. I enjoy all the exploring that my Jeep has allowed me to accomplish. An environmentalist would never drive a fossil fuel vehicle. An environmentalist would only drive a renewable energy source vehicle powered by energy that they made themselves.
                  Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Safari

If you haven't read the article in the SD Union you must do so. Finally a bright light at the end of the tunnel;
                    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...27offroad.html
                    George

Comment

If you haven't read the article in the SD Union you must do so. Finally a bright light at the end of the tunnel;
                      George
                      that is a step in the right direction.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

George
                        Great news!

And I apologize for contributing to the veering nature of this topic. I saw it as a teachable moment.

I'll move the preaching to a new topic.
                        Greg

Comment

I would agree with Jeri Lyn, in that we all are Environmentalist.
                          From the dictionary: "One concerned about environmental quality esp. of the human environment with respect to the control of pollution".

As an active wheeler, if someone breaks something, and is leaking fluids all over the ground, I help them clean it up. We have to out on the trails, to keep our image up that we care about the environment.

TDS and Truckhaven is just the start of the battles. There are also others that are presently ongoing! Mojave and the Desert Tortoise. A couple of groups have filed suit to close all of the Mojave to OHV use to protect the Desert Tortoise. They say the plan to manage the Mojave and the associated area's are flawed, and they just want to close the whole area.

Some of this area also contains trails in the Barstow, Calico area, Johnson Valley. The range of the Desert Toroise is huge.

So, it has been mentioned in here to get involved. It is cheap to write a letter. I encourage you to hand write it. They carry more weight with our congressional delegates then the computer generate ones, and the email ones. The emailed ones very seldom get looked at by our representatives. A hand written letter has a high probablity of making it to his/her desk for them to read.

Join all you can afford to join. Me, I am part of Cal4Wheel, Blue Ribbon, and United. I also give money each month to Blue Ribbon. It is not much, but if we all do it, it will all add up, and help in the fight.

We also need to get our friends to join if they are not members of any of these groups. At least join their local state organization. Then join at least one national organization.

We have a huge fight in front of us, and it is going to take a lot of money. The groups that want to keep us out of places like Truckhaven, have lots of money.

I am sure that some of the Anti-Access folks monitor our forums to see what we are doing, and planning. We for the most part are pretty open about all we are doing. We need to shut those doors somewhat.

Also, like was all ready mentioned, name calling does nothing, other than making you maybe feel better, but it makes you look stupid in the eyes of the newsmedia if they get ahold of your statement. And if they read that in here, they may take it to print as gospel!

Lets circle the wagons, and get ready for a fight, and come out with everything we have. I am sure we have some lawyers in our midsts, and they need to step up and donate some time to our cause!

Off my soap box for this hour.

Todd
                          Navy-Jeepster
                          Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                          Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Safari Registration

If you wish to support our efforts to help keep public lands open to Motorized Recreation Join us by Registering for our relocated Safari.
                            The forms can be found at:
                            http://tds4x4.com/iframes/safaripacket.htm
                            George

Comment

If you wish to support our efforts to help keep public lands open to Motorized Recreation Join us by Registering for our relocated Safari.
                              The forms can be found at:
                              http://tds4x4.com/iframes/safaripacket.htm
                              George
                              I doesn't look like I'll be able to make the event but my application fee is on it's way. I wish I could do more.

Rat
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X