Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Safari: Update

We are going to have a "SAFARI" even if we have to move to the North End of the SVRA. We have a meeting with the OHMVD this week to discuss our options. There are pluses and minuses as to keeping it in the usual spot. Mostly on the negative side. They went after CORVA and TDS is next. You will find fresh signs posted around Big Mesa where the Fire Plug is put there by the State Park. I don't know if the Borrego Foundation has deeded over the Property (Section 17 on the Map) so the signs are in question. The other areas that have not been purchased by the OHMVD are managed by the California Lands Commission and they have set up so many requirements for a permit to hold an organized event on their sections that it makes it almost impossible to set up a trail without their permission and that is another part of the equation that has to be worked out. I will post here and on the TDS website on the Safari info page as I find out more information. I am going out to the North End of the SVRA this Friday to scout out a route for our trail. I know there are a few good canyons with challenges out there but nothing like what there is on the north side of S22. Stay tuned/
    PS As far as I know Truckhaven is still open to motorized vehicle activity just not for an Organized event with a marked trail.
    George.
    Last edited by JeepGal; 01-22-07, 06:46 PM.

thank you, George for keeping us updated on the issues over there.
    i sure hope you are successful on this.is the BRC fighting for you?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

George,

I'm confident that you will find an alternative route for the TDS Desert Safari and will be able to obtain a permit from the State. What I am not so sure about is whether the Center for Biological Diversity will now try to get an injunction closing the Truckhaven Hills area to all off-road traffic pending an environmental review.

Russ
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

I think that CBD was trying to buy the property at the same time that the state was buying it.

All the OHV groups need to band together and fight them. We lost this battle, and they may have tarnished their image a little.

For those that are not a part of a state or national organization, need to join and let your dues in these groups help in this legal battle.

I also heard that the people at Truckhaven this past weekend, donate a lot of money to CORVA for the upcoming legal battle/s.

Todd
        Navy-Jeepster
        Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
        Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Safari

We will not be able to hold our Safari at Truckhaven this year. Too many complications. We are going to request a permit to use Ocotillo Wells but even that is now in question. We will know by weeks end one way or another.

Comment

EEEK! Im soo sorry to hear that George

Let us know what (if anything) we can do to help.

Tam
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Truckhaven

As tood said:
              "All the OHV groups need to band together and fight them. We lost this battle, and they may have tarnished their image a little.
              For those that are not a part of a state or national organization, need to join and let your dues in these groups help in this legal battle"
              We sort of knew this was comming but did not expect is this soon.
              John Stewart will be going to Sacramento to discuss the situtation with the head of th OHMVD. Help get the word out that the event at Truckhaven
              is cancelled and that the area should be avoided the first weekend in March to avoid the impression the event is still going on.
              Hopefully the OHMVD will aprove our permit for Ocotillo Wells.

Comment

I thought the purchase of truckhaven land was to avoid things like this happening??
                1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

With activist groups like those opposed to the use of open land by off road enthusiasts, you can only count on one thing; never count on anything going the way you think it's going to go. I can't donate too much time to the fight, but my dues are paid and I'll gladly donate some more. We need to put as much effort into this as "they" do.
                  Rat
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Safari update

The problem is the management plan is not finished and the injunction was issued based on that premise and the Big Horn Sheep Habitat. I'm sure there is a bug out there that they will find if all else fails. Try to stay positive. Ocotillo Wells is looking up as a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by TDS SD View Post
                      The problem is the management plan is not finished and the injunction was issued based on that premise and the Big Horn Sheep Habitat. I'm sure there is a bug out there that they will find if all else fails. Try to stay positive. Ocotillo Wells is looking up as a possibility.
                      I don't know you, but from reading your posts about this, you sound as if you've been at this along time. It's good to see that there people like you out there working for folks like us that love to wheel. My hats off to you and all of those that you work with, and I wish you the best in getting this resolved. As I said, I don't have a lot of free time to devote to this, but if there is something I can do to help, please let me know.

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                        I don't know you, but from reading your posts about this, you sound as if you've been at this along time. It's good to see that there people like you out there working for folks like us that love to wheel. My hats off to you and all of those that you work with, and I wish you the best in getting this resolved. As I said, I don't have a lot of free time to devote to this, but if there is something I can do to help, please let me know.

Kurt
                        Yes, I second that!!

Thanks George.

Bob
                        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                        (Charles Wells)

Comment

What about our rights, what about all the taxes we pay. What can we do to stand up for our rights.
                          Dan

Comment

Let me play the Devil's advocate here: from the posts I have seen here and elsewhere, the appearance is that TDS had a tendency to be a bit wild and the law enforcement tended to be stretched then. Maybe it's image has been tarnished by the bad actions of those who don't play by the rules.

Also, everyone pays taxes, not just off roaders. So how do we balance all our rights? I am an off roader and an environmentalist, and I don't consider that an oxymoron. In fact, I think all off roaders should consider themselves the same; isn't off roading about enjoying the outdoors as they are and not littered, torn up, destroyed, etc? Granted, it's hard to understand why trails are being closed, and easy to rant and rail against THEM. But if we can't figure out a way to preserve what we have now for ALL, there will be less for the next generations. Think about tomorrow, just not our wants today. Let the invectives begin.
                            Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Originally posted by Jeri Lyn View Post
                              Let me play the Devil's advocate here: from the posts I have seen here and elsewhere, the appearance is that TDS had a tendency to be a bit wild and the law enforcement tended to be stretched then. Maybe it's image has been tarnished by the bad actions of those who don't play by the rules.

Also, everyone pays taxes, not just off roaders. So how do we balance all our rights? I am an off roader and an environmentalist, and I don't consider that an oxymoron. In fact, I think all off roaders should consider themselves the same; isn't off roading about enjoying the outdoors as they are and not littered, torn up, destroyed, etc? Granted, it's hard to understand why trails are being closed, and easy to rant and rail against THEM. But if we can't figure out a way to preserve what we have now for ALL, there will be less for the next generations. Think about tomorrow, just not our wants today. Let the invectives begin.

I'm standing right next to you Jeri Lyn. :thumbs_up

Rat

Comment

Working...
                              X