Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article: Will Surprise Canyon remain off limits to off-road drivers?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Will Surprise Canyon remain off limits to off-road drivers?

Four-wheel-drive enthusiasts want to reopen the wild road, but environmentalists say no. The fight over the state road is in federal court.
    By Lee Romney, Times Staff Writer
    November 28, 2006

Five years after it was temporarily closed to off-road enthusiasts who winched their vehicles up its limestone waterfalls, a coveted canyon on Death Valley National Park's western edge has been reclaimed by nature's hand.

Thick willow groves have erased nearly all traces of the washed-out road that once pointed extreme sportsmen to the ruins of a onetime silver boom town. Bighorn sheep appear with greater frequency, conservationists note, and the endangered Inyo California towhee has returned.

But the battle for Surprise Canyon, home of the longest year-round stream in the Panamint Range, has revved up a notch: More than 100 four-wheel-drive aficionados determined to see their prized run reopened have filed a lawsuit in federal court that is being closely watched throughout the West.

Continued at LA Times...
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

At the Rockin XJ Jamboree, NAXJA raised something like $4500 from the raffle for the Friends of Panamint Valley and the fight to reopen Suprise Canyon. From what ive heard sounds like a great trail. Hopefully ill get to run it one day...

EDIT: Wow that trail looks really cool from theyre picks, but then again it looks nice now that there has been plant growth there. Thanks for the article Sarah.
    Last edited by swbooking; 11-28-06, 03:53 PM.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Credit goes to blktj who told me about the article but I agree the trail looks awesome. If anyone knows of a way we can help out, please post up!
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

haha well then thanks Brian
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

wow ambey someone should by land up there than we could have a MJR BBQ a few times a year and everyone could be invited to come over and visit. Seriously though by joining offraod groups that fight this and going to events sponsered by these groups is just a small thing we can all do. BTW you may want to run pontiac soon if the rumors are true this may close next year.

Comment

I love that trail! we should set up a little run to it sometime soon. Ill be SO pissed if they close it.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
              Credit goes to blktj who told me about the article but I agree the trail looks awesome. If anyone knows of a way we can help out, please post up!

I just hope they win, whether I ever run the trail or not. If RS 2477 holds up it will potentially open many past closed routes including, hopefully, Devil's Canyon.
              Last edited by blkTJ; 11-29-06, 01:07 AM.
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                I love that trail! we should set up a little run to it sometime soon. Ill be SO pissed if they close it.
                I never made it, and I'm afraid it'll snow before I can get there... Hopefully not... we need to plan something in the next couple weekends, and not Dec. 9th, (Company Christmas party where I could win a PS3). I've also heard that it might be closing!
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                  If anyone knows of a way we can help out, please post up!
                  Participate in CA4WD and also participate at the Panamint Valley Days. The Tin Benders ar huge supporters of the Panamint Valley and Surprise Canyon. Any participation with them or donation to them will go towards the cause.
                  1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                    I just hope they win, whether I ever run the trail or not. If RS 2477 holds up it will potentially open many past closed routes including, hopefully, Devil's Canyon.
                    Devils Canyon is now a closed trail. A resent closure sign of Endangered Species (plant) has been added at Mountain springs exit. LAst draft survey of 2003 showed no endangered Species in the Colorado River basin ( Yuha , Borrego and Jacumba Mnt) Though this was a draft presented by the El Centro BLM office. Endangered Species Act I believe says a new survey need to be performed every 5 years. The draft may have been amended on final cut.

Like the the Panamint issue when there is a flash flood the complete canyon gets stripped including those plants. Waits to be seen how this ends up.
                    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                    WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                      I never made it, and I'm afraid it'll snow before I can get there... Hopefully not... we need to plan something in the next couple weekends, and not Dec. 9th, (Company Christmas party where I could win a PS3). I've also heard that it might be closing!
                      Sweet and not this sat or the 16th cause i have a company Christmas Party then. and closing? like going out of business? that would suck.
                      Originally posted by Britain
                      Like the the Panamint issue when there is a flash flood the complete canyon gets stripped including those plants. Waits to be seen how this ends up.
                      So it really doesnt matter if we offroad there. The vegitaion gets ruined no matter what so its not just us doing the destroying, it happens naturally anyway.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                        So it really doesnt matter if we offroad there. The vegitaion gets ruined no matter what so its not just us doing the destroying, it happens naturally anyway.

After a flood all vegitaion comes back, with offroading it dies for good. That is why everywhere wants you to remain nn the trail.
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
                          After a flood all vegitaion comes back, with offroading it dies for good. That is why everywhere wants you to remain nn the trail.
                          True to some point but in canyons which get scrubbed clean, riding trails do to. Everything grows back if theres any sediment to grow in. In Borrego a trail can move all over or just plain dissapear not because of riders because of thunderstorms. I have seen this happen many times. This is a concern because it now can be considered not a trail. Something now gets washed into that, starts to grow and now its closed. Where is the line drawn?

Areas such as Valley of the Moon riders must stay on the trail, the trail seldom gets rearrainged by rain.
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Weco & Rs 2477

The BLM put into place in 2003 the WECO plan. It is the new routes for the Colorado Basin. That is Imperial County.

It closed many many trails. There was public meetings provided by the BLM for the debating of this plan. I'm not sure how the meetings are broadcasted but end result many closures.

Heres a copy of an insert on the BLM's view of RS 2477 , This has been used successfully in a few cases, I have court recordes for CA and Utah which both were positive. Also a tidbit on how trails were closed..step by step

R-21: This project would not diminish any rights under Revised Statute 2477. Section 8
                            of the Act of July 26, 1866 (R.S. 2477) provided: “The right of way for the construction
                            of highways over public lands, not reserved for public uses, is hereby granted.” Although
                            Title VII of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of October 21, 1976 repealed
                            this statue, many rights-of-way for public highways obtained under the statue exist or
                            may exist on land administered by the BLM. The Secretary of the Interior has requested
                            that BLM defer processing of R.S. 2477 claims, except in cases where there is a
                            demonstrated, compelling, and immediate need, until such time as the Department
                            completes final rulemaking on the statue.
                            R-22: In an area with the off road vehicle designation of limited, travel is restricted to
                            routes designated “open” or “limited”. Any route that is not designated as “open” or
                            “limited” is closed. Washes that are not designated as “open” or “limited” would also be
                            closed.
                            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                            WEB site

Comment

Some years ago, I use to frequent the Panamint Mts. Only once have I attempted Surprise Canyon, and when I did, I lost. The rocks got the best of my rear driveshaft & yoke on what I believe is now waterfall #4. So I was destine to return some other time and attempt driving it again.

Hopefully this takes a turn for the better for us & we get the opportunity to travel to Panamint City again by way of vehicle. Or at least try. This time I'll be taking my spare shaft if the trail reopens.

Comment

Working...
                              X