X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRC Action Alert: Trail Funding!!

CONGRESSIONAL ACTION ON RECREATIONAL TRAILS BUDGET NEAR
    IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED

(ed note: this is a very abridged verison of the alert)

SITUATION:
    After years of partisan wrangling over legislation funding the surface transportation bill (A.K.A. the Highway Bill ), both the House and the Senate have passed alternative versions of HR 3, the reauthorization of the nation's surface transportation programs. The surface transportation program includes the Recreational Trails Program (RTP)!!!

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
    Your Congressional representative needs to hear from you today. It is a matter of simple fairness. You pay taxes for fuel used when you travel on your favorite trails. Those taxes need to be spent you your favorite trails.

Super-Easy 3-Step Instructions for Sending a Personal Email to your Congressional Rep:

Step 1:
    Click here: http://capwiz.com/share/home
    (Click here for California officials and bypass step 1 and 2)

Step 2:
    Enter your zip code, and then click “GO”

Step 3:
    Use the information to contact both your Senators (and your Congressman if you wish) to deliver the message below. If you click "email" you can "cut and paste" the message.

Sarah's note: Remember, it's a numbers game! Send out your emails asap! They couldn't have made it any easier on us.

IMPORTANT: Enter "Fairness with RTP funds in ISTEA" the "Subject" field!

Dear Senator,
    I am an avid OHV enthusiast who pays taxes on fuel used on recreational trails. I am contacting you to ask that you ensure that the House-passed funding level for the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) is included in the HR 3 conference report for the final version of HR 3.

RTP is a proven success, leveraging federal funds with volunteer labor, state trails funding generated through registration fees and gas taxes and private funds. The program relies on user fees paid by recreationists like me. However, under the current RTP, and under the Senate-passed version of HR 3, recreational trail users are unfair "donors" to other transportation programs, receiving just 18% of the taxes paid. Adopting the House-passed funding levels in the final bill will address this unfairness.

Please ensure that the final version of HR 3 includes the House-passed funding for the RTP program. This is a very important issue to me and I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Yours truly,
    [Your name]
    [Your address]
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Get Taxes to work for US!

DONE... Senator Carl Levin and Senator Debbie A. Stabenow have been notified of MY desires.

:: edit :: It truly is about the easiest thing in the world to do. Took me about 9 seconds each to do. I complain a lot about this kind of stuff, so it was nice to tell the people voting on policy to do it my way!
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 06-02-05, 06:19 PM. Reason: add more information
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Done! Sent Hutchinson and Sent Cornyn got my emails sent to them. Hope everything goes good.

Comment

Done
        1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

yay!

Comment

done
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Great call, and it made it painless to be a activist

Hip Hip Hazzah
              censored for having an opinion

Comment

Sarah have you checked this out yet???RTP (Recreation Trails Program) Grants for Trails

As far as I can tell we can apply for grants for new built, repair, or upkeep of existing trails. California got quite a bit over the past few years but it only rolls over for three years and then the funds are gone.

Comment

You Guys & Gals ROCK!

Congress Passes Recreational Trails Program Bill
                  Miracles do happen in Washington, even in July! After months of writing about it, we are pleased to report to you that the Congress has finally passed the highway authorization bill. This means the Recreational Trails Program has been reauthorized for five more years with an increase of funding, total authorized funding of $370,000,000.

This is a major accomplishment! Many recreation groups have worked very hard to shepherd this program through a very lengthy reauthorization process. The BlueRibbon Coalition has been instrumental in this entire program, from its inception. BRC takes pride in helping America keep its trail system alive and well.

The fact that RTP was not only reauthorized but also received a significant increase in authorized funding is very good news. BRC, ARRA and other organizational members have consistently been in touch with their Senators and Representatives urging support for RTP, and this hard work has finally paid off. Congratulations to all who have supported this important program.
                  Last edited by sarah; 08-06-05, 10:13 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

Thanks to everyone who signed this, and wrote to their legislators. It just shows how important it really is. Next time, I hope you do the same!

Comment

YAY! WE ALL WIN

Tam
                      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                        YAY! WE ALL WIN

Tam
                        Yes we do!

Comment

How did our legislators and senators vote?
                          we should write letters to the ones who voted our way thanking them
                          and letters to the ones who didn't telling them how disapointed we are and how it will affext our votes.
                          Have Smackos, will travel

Comment

Originally posted by Barker
                            How did our legislators and senators vote?
                            we should write letters to the ones who voted our way thanking them
                            and letters to the ones who didn't telling them how disapointed we are and how it will affext our votes.

You can see how your reps voted here.

Neither Feinstein nor Boxer voted at all for those of you in CA. But CA had a good turn out from the house.

Comment

Ken Calvert voted yes, Good
                              Have Smackos, will travel

Comment

Working...
                              X